IGNORED

GF1 Neptune: A new MD and 32X clone by GamesCare

M-S

The Brazilian company GamesCare just annnounced a new FPGA system based on the cancelled Sega Neptune, the GF1.

90379940-2f1b-11ef-8ba2-3771696df25f--minified.png

It features:

■ HDMI connection with 1080p resolution and digital audio.

■ SD card slot for updates and media storage.

■ Internet connection for access to exclusive features and content.

■ Expansion slot for Sega CD and future peripherals.

■ High-quality analog sound and video output.

■ A Platform for Creators.

They also released a trailer, but it only has a bunch of old Sega ads and Brazilian sub-celebrities talking about how much they liked the original Mega Drive plus a few renders. No information on price, distribution or release date, more will be shown at GamesCom LatAm 2024, on this weekend and the next.

Now, Brazil only had a few companies producing ICs in the last 20 years (mostly making those "potato chips") and all of them went bankrupt, so this is definetively using imported hardware, which has a 92% tax, you can expect at least R$2000,00 to be the cost.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, akator said:

I already have a 32X on my gen 1 Genesis and a gen 2 Sega CD and Genesis, but I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.

At what cost though? How much would you be willing to pay?

According to another article, apparently more details will be given on 6/30.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't really reveal a lot in GamesCom, a Master System core and adapter, which was predictable, a new game and that it uses MiSTer cores, they didn't even show a prototype.

Some people pointed out that the 32X core is incomplete and buggy, and that these cores weren't made to work with original controllers, cartridges and accessories, this doesn't look good for them.

• Like 2

They have showed a prototype from February in their Youtube channel, according to a recent live stream they will use an IC that's better than the Cyclone V, whatever that means, it's curious that they also didn't show any 32X games, they haven't tested Virtua Racing or any cartridge with extra hardware but said everything should work.

They seem to have been trying to market this console for a wider public, collectors, developers and people trying to get into retro gaming, but it's very unlikely to release at a price that a casual person would accept, and they couldn't explain why their SDK will be better than the emulated ones, I'm not sold on the idea of the online store either, but it's definitively an ambitious project.

• Like 3

I just realized that standard Japanese MD carts are probably not going to fit in this thing if they leave the shape of the cart slot like that. That's kind of extremely bad for people who only have Japanese games and don't really want to cut this thing apart to make those games fit. At least Sonic & Knuckles will fit. Never seen a non-Japanese 32X cart, but I imagine these are probably also going to be safe.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:21 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

The logo on the system is crooked.

46 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I just realized that standard Japanese MD carts are probably not going to fit in this thing if they leave the shape of the cart slot like that. That's kind of extremely bad for people who only have Japanese games and don't really want to cut this thing apart to make those games fit. At least Sonic & Knuckles will fit. Never seen a non-Japanese 32X cart, but I imagine these are probably also going to be safe.

You're aware the picture is an awkward Photoshop montage, right? There's no reason to panic yet, really. That thing may not release at all anyway.

■ Internet connection for access to exclusive features and content

Why the heck does it need that? Can't you just update the firmware via SD card like the Everdrives?
Honestly, I really can't understand why anyone would be excited for this. If they're gonna develop exclusive games they should just drop the entire "Mega Drive + 32X" thing

It's mostly for the online store, from what I understood all games will be within hardware limitations, they will just not be sold anywhere else until the developers think otherwise. They also confirmed there is going to be copy protection. Possibly in the future there will be online multiplayer and player scores, but that hasn't been confirmed.

My guess is they're trying to pay homage to the Zeebo! 🤣

More seriously, it's a bold move, and I'm not sure it's even necessary. They make it look like it will allow the homebrew scene to thrive, but it already does on the Genesis (not that much on the 32X, though).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...