IGNORED

I was woundering ... Could PLAION make the New Atari VCS so it could be sold worldwide ...?

Spanner

People in US are not only the people that want it, I wish PLAION could make the New Atari VCS, why not, Atari have its design so could do a deal with them, if not make a software version of it so that we can use on the PC, it not fair on other people in other countries that want the machine too.
Or is the Atari VCS now dead and run its course(only 3 years) so no more are been made...?
I know we have the Atari 50(I have it) on the PS5 but its not the same thing... :(
Has Atari ever thought of making a Store Front like Steam on the PC..?

Edited by Spanner

I understand that but I guess it would still be difficult to make it profitable. Bear in mind VCS' production has ceased and they're only selling remaining stock. Now they could import some of that stock in Europe, sure, but it's not that simple since the product must probably comply to European standards, power plugs, etc. And moreover, it may be a little too late because, even though it's not your case apparently, "many" Europeans already imported it anyway. Now I'm sure AtariJaguarVCS would buy a 5th unit to support them but still, I really doubt they would do it for a few dozen or even hundreds of people.

That being said, offering to download AtariOS for any PC could be a good idea indeed, even though most games are available on PC anyway... Imho they should just release the classic controller in Europe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I understand that but I guess it would still be difficult to make it profitable. Bear in mind VCS' production has ceased and they're only selling remaining stock. Now they could import some of that stock in Europe, sure, but it's not that simple since the product must probably comply to European standards, power plugs, etc. And moreover, it may be a little too late because, even though it's not your case apparently, "many" Europeans already imported it anyway. Now I'm sure AtariJaguarVCS would buy a 5th unit to support them but still, I really doubt they would do it for a few dozen or even hundreds of people.

That being said, offering to download AtariOS for any PC could be a good idea indeed, even though most games are available on PC anyway... Imho they should just release the classic controller in Europe.

I think people keep ignoring Wade talking about how basically the VCS wasn't a good business idea. Them making more when they can't get rid of their stock wouldn't help them. Them releasing controllers that go with their software would make more sense.

I don't see why people think they might make an Ataribox 2 when the first one didn't do well. I think they would be better off putting that money towards making games for all those IPs they've been buying. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So would you say the New(not to get confused with the original 2600) Atari VCS is a flop, if they have now stopped making it only after 3 years, most consoles have life of 7 years and get a slim version too in about 4 years into its life, if your lucky you get another slim too like the PS3 did so Sony made 3 different models in its lifetime, none of the other PlayStation's did.

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)

I just found the Atari Vault on Steam so it was a PC app before it was on the VCS and was not made by Atari...? https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/ they be better to re-releasing it back on Steam.

All the stuff on the VCS would work on a PC because it a mini PC really.
Someone here does not like it, https://www.eteknix.com/atari-finally-admits-the-vcs-is-a-worthless-pile-of-crap/ what do you think of it is it a miss or hit...?
Does it still use links to Netflix via Google Chrome still or did Atari fix it...?

Edited by Spanner

3 hours ago, Spanner said:

So would you say the New(not to get confused with the original 2600) Atari VCS is a flop, if they have now stopped making it only after 3 years, most consoles have life of 7 years and get a slim version too in about 4 years into its life, if your lucky you get another slim too like the PS3 did so Sony made 3 different models in its lifetime, none of the other PlayStation's did.

I wouldn't say flop, just niche due to them never selling outside the US.  If they'd launched in Europe they'd have sold much more and it would have been more warmly received (particularly in the UK, Germany and Poland).  They did end the manufacturing contract because they had produced enough stock for the foreseeable future.  As I understand it, they have manufactured more controllers since.  They started sending units out late 2020, we're on year 4 and the OS is still actively being developed, new games are being released for it from Atari and third parties, there are over 150 or more titles I believe.  It's certainly lasted longer than the Jaguar or the 5200.  Something to consider is unlike other 'consoles', the VCS is just a standard x86 PC-compatible (hardware is like a laptop or other mini-PC) and if support from Atari ended, you can install any PC OS like Linux or Windows and just continue using it like any other PC.  Conversely, VCS games purchased are just regular Linux PC games (albeit with custom controller support).

1 hour ago, Spanner said:

I just found the Atari Vault on Steam so it was a PC app before it was on the VCS and was not made by Atari...? https://store.steampowered.com/app/400020/Atari_Vault/ they be better to re-releasing it back on Steam.

All the stuff on the VCS would work on a PC because it a mini PC really.
Someone here does not like it, https://www.eteknix.com/atari-finally-admits-the-vcs-is-a-worthless-pile-of-crap/ what do you think of it is it a miss or hit...?
Does it still use links to Netflix via Google Chrome still or did Atari fix it...?

The Vaults are an older product from about 2016/17 by Code Mystics for Atari.  It was ported to Linux for the VCS launch and Vault 1 is preinstalled with the AtariOS.  I suppose the Vaults have now been superseded by Atari 50.   Yes it uses links to certain sites and services like Netflix from Chrome, like Chrome OS did.

My own view, I used have Atari home computers, from the 400 to the 130XE, then the ST/STe.  I read on a Linux site (I''m a Linux guy) about Atari making this Linux powered mini-PC that could run classic and new Atari games.  I was sold on it.  I had to jump through some hoops to get my machines in the UK and I use them mostly as PCs, one is a media PC, another replaced my desktop PC and I use the AtariOS occasionally to buy Atari games.  I've got my Linux desktop installed how I like and I have no complaints. I put m.2 drives in mine, 32GB RAM in my desktop VCS.  I've got all I hoped for and it surpassed my expectations.  Owning a modern Atari computer in 2024 is amazing, never thought it would happen and I really love mine, I'm very happy with them.  I do hope one day they make some kind of successor.  It's a hit for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

I wouldn't say flop, just niche due to them never selling outside the US.  If they'd launched in Europe they'd have sold much more and it would have been more warmly received (particularly in the UK, Germany and Poland).  They did end the manufacturing contract because they had produced enough stock for the foreseeable future.  As I understand it, they have manufactured more controllers since.  They started sending units out late 2020, we're on year 4 and the OS is still actively being developed, new games are being released for it from Atari and third parties, there are over 150 or more titles I believe.  It's certainly lasted longer than the Jaguar or the 5200.  Something to consider is unlike other 'consoles', the VCS is just a standard x86 PC-compatible (hardware is like a laptop or other mini-PC) and if support from Atari ended, you can install any PC OS like Linux or Windows and just continue using it like any other PC.  Conversely, VCS games purchased are just regular Linux PC games (albeit with custom controller support).

The Vaults are an older product from about 2016/17 by Code Mystics for Atari.  It was ported to Linux for the VCS launch and Vault 1 is preinstalled with the AtariOS.  I suppose the Vaults have now been superseded by Atari 50.   Yes it uses links to certain sites and services like Netflix from Chrome, like Chrome OS did.

My own view, I used have Atari home computers, from the 400 to the 130XE, then the ST/STe.  I read on a Linux site (I''m a Linux guy) about Atari making this Linux powered mini-PC that could run classic and new Atari games.  I was sold on it.  I had to jump through some hoops to get my machines in the UK and I use them mostly as PCs, one is a media PC, another replaced my desktop PC and I use the AtariOS occasionally to buy Atari games.  I've got my Linux desktop installed how I like and I have no complaints. I put m.2 drives in mine, 32GB RAM in my desktop VCS.  I've got all I hoped for and it surpassed my expectations.  Owning a modern Atari computer in 2024 is amazing, never thought it would happen and I really love mine, I'm very happy with them.  I do hope one day they make some kind of successor.  It's a hit for me.

Yes thats why I wanted one, it could replace my Intel I5 13 years old PC and its smaller and looks like a Atari... :) yes I am the same, You see the Atari machines I have on my sig... :) I made my first program on the Atari800XL it was a Lottery program that picked the numbers for you... :) I got that in 2001, than the 130XE and then then Atari XGS, I like to collect things made by Atari/Amiga/Commodore and others ... :)
I download the Vault yesterday, like the Arcade 3D Modes it uses, I use to make Atari Arcade machines in 3D Arcade, I made the Hard Drivin' Upright cabinet, plus Outrun sitdown, Afterburner sitdown and Space Harrier sitdown Cabinets, I did make Asteroids cabinets too, had a problem with Asteroids Deluxe, was trying to figure out a way of making it look like it had a mirror in it but it didn't work in Unity, it worked on the Space Invaders Upright cabinet... :)
You see my cabinets as part of the AGSP Theme I made in PCUAE.

image.thumb.png.7607ae2521d06d43bd6265ad25ae4efa.png

Edited by Spanner

Posted (edited)

Might be a better idea maybe if Atari sell the rest of the VCS stock on Amazon(UK) that way they will not be trying sell the Atari VCS to the same customers who already have one and give others a chance to own one.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

From what I heard, Plaion considered distribution of the VCS but they took one look at the defective return rate percentage and said no thanks.

Maybe if Atari can get the update process fixed for new users, Plaion might take another look at the possibility of distribution.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2024 at 2:57 PM, Spanner said:

Might be a better idea maybe if Atari sell the rest of the VCS stock on Amazon(UK) that way they will not be trying sell the Atari VCS to the same customers who already have one and give others a chance to own one.

Or they could even do international shipping for the VCS in their own store. They have it for some items, but not for a lot of the hardware they sell. I don't know why, since they charge for shipping anyway. (I looked at my order that's out for delivery to confirm this 😂) Sure, you'd have to buy a power adapter for it, but that's a small problem as it uses a laptop charger with a barrel jack. I'm sure you could pick one of those up locally that has the correct jack and power requirements. As long as they put a disclaimer about that on the product page, that should take care of any backlash over the US power adapter. Though, I don't know what the laws are regarding export and import of electronics. I just know I get stuff shipped to the US from other parts of the world and it's no problem, but I also know some countries are more restrictive.

Of course, there is the update problem that @E. King mentioned, but they don't seem too worried about that even for US consumers. So, I don't think that's what is stopping them from shipping them to Europe.

On 6/28/2024 at 3:59 PM, THX-1138 said:

I'd say flop. Last I heard they have still lost money on it, and once again, Wade said it was a bad idea. No matter how much it's polished it was still a turd. People enjoying it doesn't mean a success. Also saying it did better than the Jaguar isn't the highest of bar to achieve. :P I'd say them continuing to update their OS and games is more a sign they don't want to ostracize their niche base, than it being a success.

Evercade is a niche product that continues to make different hardware iterations. It wasn't a flop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I'd say flop. Last I heard they have still lost money on it, and once again, Wade said it was a bad idea. No matter how much it's polished it was still a turd. People enjoying it doesn't mean a success. Also saying it did better than the Jaguar isn't the highest of bar to achieve. :P I'd say them continuing to update their OS and games is more a sign they don't want to ostracize their niche base, than it being a success.

Evercade is a niche product that continues to make different hardware iterations. It wasn't a flop.

Well I'm happy with what I got so frankly I don't care.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2024 at 12:06 PM, stirrell said:

Oh, believe us, we know.

Are you sure? ;)

On 7/2/2024 at 12:39 PM, THX-1138 said:

Well I'm happy with what I got so frankly I don't care.

I'm happy with my WiiU, and that doesn't change that it was a flop. :)

• Haha 2

If Atari ever did make another Atari box, a smarter idea would be partnering with a mini pc company such as Minisforum or Beelink. Put an Atari logo on it, ship it with their custom Linux distro and sell it internationally where the Atari name probably has more value that the US. Also lean into it being a computer instead of a console

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Processor-Computer-Display-Desktop/dp/B0C3HF35FR/

Less risk and expense.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Rob Merritt said:

If Atari ever did make another Atari box, a smarter idea would be partnering with a mini pc company such as Minisforum or Beelink. Put an Atari logo on it, ship it with their custom Linux distro and sell it internationally where the Atari name probably has more value that the US. Also lean into it being a computer instead of a console

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Processor-Computer-Display-Desktop/dp/B0C3HF35FR/

Less risk and expense.

This is what I've been saying.  I doubt Atari will want the cost of developing a new machine, but going to an existing PC maker and doing a licensing deal makes a lot more sense.  Especially if they partnered with an established gaming PC manufacturer to use the Atari branding and pre-install with AtariOS.

• Like 2

Late to the party, but I feel like we've been lacking in good posts, and I would say this is an actually good post that brings up some actually good discussion. Good job.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:48 AM, Rob Merritt said:

Something like this:

Less risk and expense.

Hmm...this might work.

16 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

This is what I've been saying.  I doubt Atari will want the cost of developing a new machine, but going to an existing PC maker and doing a licensing deal makes a lot more sense.  Especially if they partnered with an established gaming PC manufacturer to use the Atari branding and pre-install with AtariOS.

Yeah, this'll definitely work.

We'll wait and see if Atari will consider it. 🤔

On 7/7/2024 at 2:36 PM, r_chase said:

Late to the party, but I feel like we've been lacking in good posts, and I would say this is an actually good post that brings up some actually good discussion. Good job.

Hmm...this might work.

Yeah, this'll definitely work.

We'll wait and see if Atari will consider it. 🤔

I think at one point Atari I think was going to brand some low end PC or phone stuff iirc. @roots.genoa do you remember what I'm talking about?

It might have also been shared in the taco thread.