IGNORED

Compute! Magazine

49 minutes ago, pjduplooy said:

Ciro, are those all the TI related pages in all the magazine issues?  Or do you miss some?

Oh no, it's dozens and dozens of publications, these are just a small part of a few issues that I worked on restoring the pages devoted to ti99 but of that single issue.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pjduplooy said:

Thanks guys for all the info.  I have a bit of a holiday coming up.  Brushing up on typing in TI progs LOL

if you type in anything interesting let us know.

• Like 2

I bought several years ago the complete Compute! collection on CDROM from Ebay. Doesn't look like it's available anymore. I have it copied to a micro SD card on my Android tablet for easy access anytime :)

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 6:21 AM, Vorticon said:

I bought several years ago the complete Compute! collection on CDROM from Ebay. Doesn't look like it's available anymore. I have it copied to a micro SD card on my Android tablet for easy access anytime :)

I can imagine Ziff-Davis had some words about this.  It bought COMPUTE! back in the mid-2010s as part of its acquisition of another publishing company.  I am not sure how COMPUTE! got there from ABC.  At the same time, it seems silly to aggressively enforce copyright on a magazine which has been out of print forever; even a license deal of $1.00 per year should satisfy the protection requirements.

By the way: did you guys know that Archive.org has a DMCA exclusion which must be renewed every three years?  My reading of 1201(a)(1) is that this regulatory rule-making process is explicitly allowed by Congress in the DMCA and would not fall afoul of the recent over-turning of "Chevron (1984.)"  This is an exemption which should be made permanent, even extended appropriately to private endeavors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I can imagine Ziff-Davis had some words about this.  It bought COMPUTE! back in the mid-2010s as part of its acquisition of another publishing company.  I am not sure how COMPUTE! got there from ABC.  At the same time, it seems silly to aggressively enforce copyright on a magazine which has been out of print forever; even a license deal of $1.00 per year should satisfy the protection requirements.

The age old question of the value of obsolescence... Who knows, they might want to publish a compendium for the retrocomputing crowd :) 

I also have all the issues of Byte in digital form through 1986, but imagine if it got republished as a series of yearly volumes in current times... Hell I would jump on it faster than you can say hello!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vorticon said:

The age old question of the value of obsolescence... Who knows, they might want to publish a compendium for the retrocomputing crowd :) 

I also have all the issues of Byte in digital form through 1986, but imagine if it got republished as a series of yearly volumes in current times... Hell I would jump on it faster than you can say hello!

You know, if all these magazine publishers would produce a back-catalogue collection, like Shout Factory and Mill Creek is doing with old shows on DVD, I bet they could make a good amount of money on it.  Or, maybe they could just break even and do it for the fans :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2024 at 2:53 PM, OLD CS1 said:

You know, if all these magazine publishers would produce a back-catalogue collection, like Shout Factory and Mill Creek is doing with old shows on DVD, I bet they could make a good amount of money on it.  Or, maybe they could just break even and do it for the fans :)

Copyright would be a massive issue preventing this -- did all of the various authors assign rights to the publisher when the article was submitted? Can anyone prove this?

I have seen at least one academic journal "republished" online (by the original editor) with only selected articles included because there were issues determining copyright and ownership of the submissions. 

That said, in addition to fans, some academic and larger public libraries would love to fill gaps in the collection backfile. In the early-1990s, one local University library received (by donation) a complete run of the first several years of Byte magazine. Issues from before the mid-1980s were previously not publicly available in any local library. 

• Like 1