IGNORED

What is the Atari 400 like?

Having a stock 400 is kind of tough - it probably has the worst display options of any of the 8-bit computers. It has TV output out of the box, that's it. In 2024 it's hard to even find a TV with the kind of tuner that can show you the relatively awful picture that produces.

Adding a SCCC makes life easy, you get the 5-pin DIN just like the 800. It's not a very hard thing to install and Jurgen is really nice and easy to deal with.

You might get a 48k or a 16k. 48k is better obviously and not uncommon since so many have been upgraded over the years. Jurgen also does a 48k card if you need one.

Typing a lot of text on the membrane keyboard is ...challenging. If you plan to type a lot and you want a 400 you will want to find a BKey replacement keyboard or build one like the Decent400.

But I would recommend an 800 if you can pay a little more. It just has more to offer and can take an Incognito and Sophia 2.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Van Halbgott said:

I’m considering owning an Atari 400 computer at some point and wonder about what it takes to own one.

It's a great machine... if one wants to keep it on a shelf. I have 2 of them now, one with SCCC to get a normal monitor output, the other with a stock RF output. Both have their memory expanded to at least 48K. But they are kind of useless - 48K is not enough to run many (majority?) of newer games, also old OS is not helpful. And, most of all - the horrible keyboard... requires no further explanation. 

But otherwise it's a great piece of history 😁

• Like 3