IGNORED

Using an NTSC Atari in a PAL country

Spector

Speak to Spirantho, he mods them in UK.

Quite handy to get one, as you'll end up with loads of ntsc carts and the colours are wrong if played through pal system. I will soon have loads more ntsc than pal, as its cheaper to get them from US even with the postage than to buy them on ebay UK. Plus the yanks have loads of nice carts we don't have.

Si

...the colours are wrong if played through pal system

That depends on your TV.

Most modern TVs sold in the UK can display NTSC games correctly.

I also have a US-sourced NTSC TV, and my NTSC carts play identically on both NTSC and PAL TVs.

There is always the 50hz vs 60Hz electricity issue, though.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK WOMBLE wrote:  

That depends on your TV.  

I have a 2 year old phillips that I bought especially for playing ntsc games on a chipped PS2, they display fine on it. But, when I put my ntsc cart in my pal 2600 the colours are wrong. Eg, in DK, kong is green !!

Si

I'm a Yank . . . And I have my eye on some Arabian SECAM hardware . . . Does it work on NTSC?
No.

Unlike Europe, the US has never seen a reason to make multi-standard hardware, as everyone in the vicinity uses NTSC and most of what people want is available domestically.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK WOMBLE wrote:  

That depends on your TV.  

I have a 2 year old phillips that I bought especially for playing ntsc games on a chipped PS2, they display fine on it. But, when I put my ntsc cart in my pal 2600 the colours are wrong. Eg, in DK, kong is green !!

Si

Thats a problem with the PAL TIA, since it has a different built-in colour palette than the NTSC one. PAL games only display correct on PAL VCSs, and NTSC games on NTSC ones.

I wonder if it would be hard getting a NTSC TIA shipped to Germany, and how much it would cost.....

Thats a problem with the PAL TIA, since it has a different built-in colour palette than the NTSC one. PAL games only display correct on PAL VCSs, and NTSC games on NTSC ones.  

I wonder if it would be hard getting a NTSC TIA shipped to Germany, and how much it would cost.....

Whats a TIA ?

Yes, but not through RF. Composite, S-video etc yes, but not RF 99% of the time. Which is why myself and UKWomble still get wrong colours when playing NTSC games on PAL 2600s etc.

Whats a TIA ?

The VCS's AV hardware. TIA generates the picture and sound, if I recall.

But if you used an NTSC Atari in the UK, what modifications would need to be made to the power supply, since it won't be 240v-50Hz?

Oh and where's this Spirantho bloke?

You can just use a PAL power supply on a NTSC machine, the 2600 operates on 9V DC.

If you really want to know what a TIA is, look here:

Thanks Cpuwiz, I kind of understand now.

But if you used an NTSC Atari in the UK, what modifications would need to be made to the power supply, since it won't be 240v-50Hz?  

Oh and where's this Spirantho bloke?  

Hes a Welsh guy who posts on here a lot, pm him, I'm sure its spelt SPIRANTHO. I'm sure if its not he'll pick me up on it !! :wink: