IGNORED

TI professional computer (not ti-99) for now

55 minutes ago, stevee671 said:

This is a really cool thread! I've only seen a full up TI-Pro once and that was a LOOOONG time ago. I remember how sharp the display was. At the time, the Pro had the best graphics I had seen up to that point.

Yeah, the display monitor that I have anyway, really is pretty clear. 

Drem on order due to both machines HD going bad.

And I'm trying to get the multifunction time / RAM card to work again... But it's looking sad at the moment. 

In the process of scanning the basic booklet and getting it online It looks like the only version I have found out there was one for the Apple, which is pretty darn close to the TI version except for things like mouse, .wav, etc.. stuff like that. 

Yeah, stuff we wish we had. 

2 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Seems there still another for $35 by a different seller.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/256068286205

Oh yeah I definitely got that one but the problem is I have is when I search for it I can't find it. 

And when I log into eBay I can't paste the link because it kicks me out and ask me for a login again and then it wants to verify my login information through some other means. 

So is ebay.com and ebay.ca completely different?

I had to log in through other means..

So I had to choose Google as a login reference

I found that I have to use the exact wording or it won't show up. 

I usually put Texas instruments professional computer and when I do that those RAM cards didn't show up. 

But when I use the exact wording they used such +  RAM expansion and it shows up. 

eBay is a piece of s***

Edited by GDMike

48 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Was this Texas Instruments VGA card dated 1990 ever used on the TI Professional Computer, or were designed for another type of later on model of TI PC.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324976725717

Screenshot_20240902-103848.png

From my understanding, when ti entered the clones, this would have been used, but the TIpro had only monochrome and a type of cGA/EGA with monitors to match it. Tipro cannot use other monitors.

That bus port doesn't look familiar to the pro.

Edited by GDMike

25 minutes ago, GDMike said:

From my understanding, when ti entered the clones, this would have been used, but the TIpro had only monochrome and a type of cGA/EGA with monitors to match it. Tipro cannot use other monitors.

That bus port doesn't look familiar to the pro.

Yes, looking at it the VGA needs 16bit ISA, so the TI Pro only had 8bit ISA graphic cards then.

At least EGA not too bad, I wonder if there would be a way to upgrade to VGA on the TI Pro by designing a custom new card.

47 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Yes, looking at it the VGA needs 16bit ISA, so the TI Pro only had 8bit ISA graphic cards then.

At least EGA not too bad, I wonder if there would be a way to upgrade to VGA on the TI Pro by designing a custom new card.

Would be interesting

Today I installed the 8087 into one of the pro motherboards. No smoke, but I can tell some things are running faster. 

There's a program called qbert it's an executable. 

The"fill" routine where they fill the cubes with color is definitely faster.

So I'll order another one for the other computer

Edited by GDMike

53 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Today I installed the 8087 into one of the pro motherboards. No smoke, but I can tell some things are running faster. 

There's a program called qbert it's an executable. 

The"fill" routine where they fill the cubes with color is definitely faster.

So I'll order another one for the other computer

If you want more speed without any hardware changes. Switch out the 8088 with a NEC V20. You could then add the faster 8mhz turbo mode as well, not sure how to wire that in, but just the V20 alone will give you an added boost in speed as the opcodes take less time to process and you get the 186 instructions as well, allowing for more newer software to work.

NEC V20 was a drop-in upgrade offered for XT-class 8088 equipped computers, aka the first PC computers, as we know them today. NEC V20 did not require any additional setup, except for just socketing it in the 8088 socket. It offered 20-50% performance upgrade and 80186-compatible instruction set (basically a 286 without protected mode). This upgrade in addition to 8Mhz "Turbo Mode" (up from 4.77Mhz) some boards offered could result in up to 100% speed increase.

Edited by Gary from OPA
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Was this Texas Instruments VGA card dated 1990 ever used on the TI Professional Computer, or were designed for another type of later on model of TI PC.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324976725717

Screenshot_20240902-103848.png

Hard to tell with no clear shot of the main board with the daughtercard removed, but this looks like a TIGA card. The Headland HT208 on the daughter card would be for VGA compatibility. I doubt this board set will work on ISA or TIPC though, only AT. Would be good to archive the manual and software the listing includes, if anyone here gets it.

Edited by jbdigriz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, GDMike said:

BASIC

I was able to write a simple program save it load it and run it I have to get the manual to figure out the rest of it but it did work.

I'll have to create the Gotek file to upload here.

IMG_20240709_090156873_HDR.jpg

Is it faster than the TI-99 one 🙂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

Is it faster than the TI-99 one 🙂

Mini memory has the lines program on the TI 99 and basic has it on the TI pro as well. 

That's definitely faster on the TI pro.

I added a co-processor to the motherboard yesterday and it's about 15% or so faster but @Gary from OPArecommended a 8088 replacement for a faster cpU.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2