IGNORED

Lightning Renumber from Compute! Oct. 1985

I'm working on this to attempt to get this Basic program to run correctly.  I may have some questions...  I've forgotten a lot!  This was originally mentioned in a thread started by @Allan.  The major problem is it runs out of data  to POKE (Error 6), so that's what I'm concentrating on now.

• Like 1

It was typed in by user @DFELD2005.  I did find that line 450 was missing, and just now entered it, and the program no longer runs out of data.  However, @Atari_Ace just posted in the other current Compute! thread that the disk was available, so it may be a moot point.

My "hardware" for this project is Altirra.  It is an XL with 320K, Atari Basic Rev C, and (high level emulated) disk drives.  Nothing fancy.  I do have real hardware, but I'm getting lazy in my old age!

Note:  The OHAUG ATR version is nice in that it adds a few lines to help explain the operation of the program.

• Like 1

Thank You to everyone for following up on my initial inquiry and appeal for help with the Lightning Renumber utility.

Initially, I thought it would be amusing to use the OCR text from Compute! issue 065 (at Archive.org).

Then after about 4-5 hours of repeated checking and more errors, etc etc, I decided to try other softwarez that may provide the binary load feature I was hoping for.

I am using Altirra 4.30 (test ver) with Altirra 800XL and Altirra Basic. In my opinion using Altirra is a way more fun and convenient than using real Atari computers and disk drives, etc.

FYI:   I bought my first Atari 800 in late 1979. In the mid 1980's, K-Mart had a big sale on 800XL and I bought 3.

And I had an 810 drive and 2 1050 drives, etc.  Now in my retirement years it is amusing to go back in time and see how much I remember from 40 years ago.

But I am only using Altirra these days.

• Like 1

I think that I'll go ahead and check the rest of the data statements -- I quit looking after I read that the program was already available.  Since 450 is a duplicate of 458, something else is missing.  I should be able to find it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DFELD2005 said:

In my opinion using Altirra is a way more fun and convenient than using real Atari computers and disk drives, etc.

Hmm... Gotta disagree on that statement. Nothing gives the rush like the real thing. 🙂

AND, there was a small correction in the Capute! section in the Feb 1986 issue of Compute!

According to the author (Raymond Citak), this fix improves the detection of internal line number references in program lines.

AND, here is my revised version of the Basic program. The Basic program now creates the binary load file "RENUMBFX.OBJ".

image.jpeg.5fc9fa98c96b6f304d4447232c683c92.jpeg

RENUMBFX.BAS

Edited by DFELD2005
  • Like 4