IGNORED

CyberVirus update

Songbird

So I've been playing a lot of N64 Perfect Dark lately (thanks for the $10 price, KB Toys!)... and I says to myself, "Wow, this whole sniper mode thing is super way cool!" So how could I incorporate a similar feature into CyberVirus? Hmmm...

And then it hits me: stealth armor. Give the player a couple of missions with stealth armor, where you can sneak up fairly close to enemies and targets and take them out without detection. I even changed the palette such that everything is tinted green while stealth is active. So there are now a couple of missions with stealth armor. Turned out it wasn't even that much code to add, maybe 10-20 lines total plus one extra byte per mission to indicate stealth or no stealth.

In other news, there will be 16 missions in the public release of CyberVirus. All 16 have been laid out, and are undergoing test (and a temporary delay thanks to my PC config getting trashed out of nowhere). Lots of new cinema scenes, enemies, cheats, and mission strategies have been incorporated since I did the CC version of the game. I'm really excited about how it's all coming together.

More news and maybe even some screen shots coming soon!

This does sound pretty cool. I'm looking forward to playing CyberVirus so I can comment on it further! And now it looks like you're going to force me to buy two different versions of it! Please let us know when you've gone some screen shots and additional info, sounds pretty newsworthy to me.

..Al

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

LOCK AND LOAD, IT'S TIME FOR CYBERVIRUS!

February 4th, 2002

For immediate release:

ROCHESTER, MN -- CyberVirus will begin shipping to eager Lynx fans on February 18, 2002. The retail price is $42.95 plus shipping ($5 for USA/Canada, $8 for international). PayPal orders may be sent to songbird@atari.net, and check/MO orders may be sent using the printable order form available on http://songbird.atari.net. All international orders should use PayPal unless other arrangements have been made directly with Songbird.

CyberVirus takes Lynx gaming to an entirely new level by offering 16 action-packed missions all set in an amazing 3D environment. You are a soldier inserted deep into enemy territory, where you alone hold the key to turn back the Cybot threat. Avoid land mines and hunt for weapon prototypes while repelling robots, mutant spiders, and other enemies. This general release of CyberVirus contains many new features, including stealth armor, strafing movement, powerups, storyboards, an enhanced mission select screen, new objectives, all-new cheats and easter eggs, and more.

Songbird Productions is the premier developer and publisher for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar. To keep up to date with the latest news at Songbird Productions, be sure to visit the company web site at http://songbird.atari.net. CyberVirus is copyright and trademark 2001 Songbird Productions. All rights reserved. This message may be reprinted in its entirety.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget, CyberVirus for the Atari Lynx starts shipping this weekend! Now is the best time to send in your payment to ensure your order is filled with the first batch of carts. Visit the Songbird web page for ordering information.

Congratulations to Bradley Prillwitz, who placed the very first order for CyberVirus! He will receive a $10 "first customer" discount on his next order from Songbird, good for any item regularly priced at $39.95 or higher.

I need to fire up the CinciClassic edition of CyberVirus and finish it! Can you describe what all the differences are between the CC version and the one you're releasing now? I know you've mentioned several of them, but it would be nice to have a side-by-side comparison. Are the 16 missions in the public release all new?

..Al

As I wrote above:

"This general release of CyberVirus contains many new features, including stealth armor, strafing movement, powerups, storyboards, an enhanced mission select screen, new objectives, all-new cheats and easter eggs, and more."

It would take a lot of time to accurately document ALL the changes I made, as there are many. With regards to the missions, the CC version has 8, and the general version has 16. Of those 8 CC missions, 2 were exclusive and the other 6 were brought over to the general version. But even those 6 have been tweaked somewhat to make them easier/harder depending on where they fit in. Anyone who has both carts will immediately notice that the first mission has three towers to destroy instead of just one, for example.

The addition of stealth armor and strafing movement are probably two of my favorite enhancements that I personally wrote for the general version. They both really give you some new gameplay options. There are more mission objectives (like protecting and rescuing personnel) and more enemies (like mutant spiders) in this version, and of course lots of new background/terrain graphics.

I added several new storyboards to the general version -- I think the CC version has only 2. The general version has at least 5 or 6 spread throughout the game.

Some subtle things have been changed, such as the speed and hit points for each enemy. I decided the weaker robots needed to be faster, since if they're slow and wimpy, where's the challenge? Whereas the really tough robots tend to be slow. Contrast this to the spiders, which are ALWAYS fast, regardless of how wimpy/tough they are.

And many cheats got added in the general version, so you can go back and play the game in an easier/harder mode as desired.

Overall, there are substantial differences between the two versions, but of course I have to say this general release is superior simply due to the wealth of new featuers and missions and playtesting that has been done. But the CC version is of course the more collectable one.

quote:

Originally posted by Songbird:

Overall, there are substantial differences between the two versions, but of course I have to say this general release is superior simply due to the wealth of new featuers and missions and playtesting that has been done. But the CC version is of course the more collectable one.

Thanks for taking the time to describe the differences between the two versions. While it's nice to have the CC version from the collectable standpoint, I think I might have to get the new version from the playability standpoint.

I have a question about how you manufacture these Lynx carts. Do you have a third-party manufacture them for you? I don't have one of your carts in front of me at the moment, but I seem to recall that everything is surface mounted, implying considerable expense over hand-soldering chips to the boards. I've also noticed that there are several different types of boards you've sold, with the black ones being the newest (and I assume, the most sophisticated). Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

..Al

There are two boards Songbird has used: a green board which is slightly larger than existing Lynx carts, and a black board which is about the same size as other Lynx carts. You're correct, I have someone else handle the board mfg. and chip assembly. I would never get anything done if I had to sit around and solder Lynx and Jaguar carts!