IGNORED

Atari partners with Coinbase to bring Asteroids and Breakout to blockchain

PowerDubs

Its rare to see a crypto related project in 2024, let alone one not related to pumping and dumping some new coin.

As far as I can tell, you pay a small fee to participate in a leaderboard competition of an arcade/2600 game, and weekly prizes will be given out based on position.

The prizes being real world goods, now that all sounds nice but...

I really fail to see what crypto is offering as an advantage versus simply a pay to play model with real money.

As the overheads on just using a payment processor are likely much lower than the gas fees involved with crypto?

• Like 4

Blockchain is only going to grow more popular over the next couple of years especially now that the global currency's are  losing value (  Dollar, Euro etc ).

The problem of course is figuring out which crypto projects are legit and which ones are just pure scams.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Blockchain is only going to grow more popular over the next couple of years especially now that the global currency's are  losing value (  Dollar, Euro etc ).

The problem of course is figuring out which crypto projects are legit and which ones are just pure scams.

Doubt

The economy goes through periods of adjustment. This is an extreme one, but it's recovered from worse ones before. It's nowhere near bad enough for a full paradigm shift.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ukiha said:

As far as I can tell, you pay a small fee to participate in a leaderboard competition of an arcade/2600 game, and weekly prizes will be given out based on position.

The prizes being real world goods, now that all sounds nice but...

I really fail to see what crypto is offering as an advantage versus simply a pay to play model with real money.

As the overheads on just using a payment processor are likely much lower than the gas fees involved with crypto?

Holders of the 50 Years of Atari and ARCs receive the Asteroids game for free.

Base is level 2- so the gas is not what it used to be.

I think it is smart for Atari to be involved with Coinbase...

https://www.coinbase.com/blog/u-s-marshals-service-chooses-coinbase-to-safeguard-trade-its-large-cap

https://www.coinbase.com/blog/coinbase-stripe-team-up-to-increase-global-adoption-of-crypto

https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2024/07/23/us-government-moves-4m-bitcoin-to-coinbase-arkham-data-show/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coinbases-stock-gets-upgraded-as-this-bullish-driver-is-too-large-to-ignore-bb95676b

This IS Atari moving on...  trying new things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JPF997 said:

They are all scams. Well, maybe some are well-intended, but the end result is the same. They are all fundamentally worthless, because no government in the world wants or would want to replace their currency with a highly volatile currency they can´t control. It is cool useless bullshit.

• Like 4

On 7/22/2024 at 9:03 PM, M-S said:

the bubble has already bursted

They said the same thing about the dotcom boom and look where we are now.

As much as I hate crypto these days, I feel like we should do our research on what parts make something go downhill in the first place. For me, it was the oversaturation of scams and the decline of Dogecoin.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 5:38 AM, JPF997 said:

I'm not much of an economist, but at its current form, crypto currency is not going to replace real currency. The main difference between global currency and crypto currency is that global currency has controls put in place to prevent money from becoming too over/under valued. I know the whole point of crypto currency is that it's not controlled by any governing body, but the con there is that there is very little preventing crypto currency from devolving into glorified poker chips.

• Like 3