IGNORED

Turbografx: A shoot-em-up fans weapon of choice?

JagWarlord

I remember it has a good translation of R-TYPE long before the

Playstation version was available, and I reacll seeing some other

impressive (for the time) shooters demoed on the system. Never

owned one myself, but I associate it with good 2D shooters, at least

for the Japanese version.

--The Eidolon

The PC Engine is superb at 2D shoot-em-ups... not as good as the NeoGeo, of course - but more affordable. Has some great shooters, not least R-Type and R-Type II, great platformers and even games like Populous.

Personally I prefer the PC Engine to the TurboGrafx but that's just because I like funky Japanese stuff.... if you want it in a language you can read the TurboGrafx is your man.... you can get converters anyway between the two.

If you can afford it, get a SuperGrafx.. these run the PC Engine/TurboGrafx stuff as well as superb arcade coversions like Daimakaimura (or something - Ghouls 'n' Ghosts) and 1941.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there only 5 games that actually did anything special with the SuperGrafx hardware?

Considering how obscure this system is, you'd really be better off getting a TurboDuo instead. I don't know how many CD games there were, but I'm sure it was more than 5 :roll:

--Zero

The PC Engine is superb at 2D shoot-em-ups... not as good as the NeoGeo, of course - but more affordable. Has some great shooters, not least R-Type and R-Type II, great platformers and even games like Populous.

Personally I prefer the PC Engine to the TurboGrafx but that's just because I like funky Japanese stuff.... if you want it in a language you can read the TurboGrafx is your man.... you can get converters anyway between the two.

If you can afford it, get a SuperGrafx.. these run the PC Engine/TurboGrafx stuff as well as superb arcade coversions like Daimakaimura (or something - Ghouls 'n' Ghosts) and 1941.

The neo geo has awesome shmups...however a number are hard to find on AES (pulstar, blazing star), and there just aren't that many. If you go with an MVS setup though, you can get em all pretty easily.

Do bear in mind that while the Turbografx will play PCEngine games with an adaptor, the PCEngine will play only a few of the Turbografx games even with the adaptor. Since the Turbografx and adaptor are probably much cheaper than a PCEngine, I see no point in getting a PCEngine except for collector's purposes. However, there are no known conflicts between the two countries when it comes to CD's. You can read practically everything about the family of systems here.

You're right about the SuperGrafx - hence the proviso "if you can afford it". :)

The Supergrafx is the only console capable of playing _every_ PC Engine game out there, as there are adaptors and cards and everything for compatibility. Not sure about Turbografx->Supergrafx compatibilty though, to be fair... I`ve not really looked into it.

From what I know, though, 1941 on the Super is a *really* good port, and if the poster likes SEUs then that's the only way to get everything.

Of course, if you don`t mind missing out on the few but very high quality games then yes, Turbografx is better.

By the way, there are SCD games that will only play on the Duo. That's the system I personally would recommend getting to be able to play the most games. I have a Turbograph with CD en route to me right now. If I like the system (which I think I will), I hope to eventually get a Duo. Right now I'd rather have money for extra games, especially Y's Book.

Okay let's keep this simple....

If you want some good shooters, go get yourself a regluar plain TurboGrafx-16 unit. If you have a few extra dollars to spend, get a TurboExpress or a TurboDuo... you'll appreciate it later.

There's no need for a SuperGrafx unit or any other Japanese unit, unless you live in Japan.

TurboGrafx-16 has some nice shooters. The best of which would be Blazing Lazers. This title really sets the standard on 16-Bit early 1990's shooters. Galaga '90 is a good title too. Start out with those two, grab a copy of Bonk and Bomberman, and then see how you like it.

www.TurboGrafx-16.com

Good luck!