IGNORED

A Different Thought Experiment: Atari 2600/7800 Demakes, Ports and Projects

Maztr_0n

5 hours ago, KainXavier said:

My hope is that Atari will begin exploring licensed de-makes and backports.  They're probably the only company with enough clout, capital, and interest to do so.  (And many of these products already exist, albeit in an unofficial capacity.)  That said, I absolutely think there is a market for it, and we really just need one company experiencing moderate success to convince the rest of the industry.

Ding Ding Ding!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Ding Ding Ding!

Ben, I uh... I think the DOOM music just kicked in...

On 8/5/2024 at 2:50 AM, MarcinJ said:

I do not know Gaplus. @Ben from Plaion was showing in the other thread a proof-of-principle R-Type running increadibly smooth on 7800. 

Gaplus takes the ship capture mechanic from Galaga and amplifies it to an absurd degree.  The gameplay is faster, more challenging, and incredibly rewarding.  If Galaxian is Pac-Man and Galaga is Ms. Pac-Man, then Gaplus is Championship Edition.

• Like 2

Just gonna say, i think Water Ski on 7800 would be a hot seller out the gate if it was reintrodouced, its one of those so challenging games that the internet hates to love, Alien Brigade might also be a reissue that could maybe bring in the Action Horror/Mature gaming side in out the gate, and i'd love to see a few more simulation and story driven titles, games with progression and such, i love arcade but i think variety will also be key, a home arcade that will replace the need to revisit the NES, maybe an improved version of Karateka for 7800 with silky smooth animation and controls more akin to the Apple II original and maybe a new take on Secret Quest for 7800 or something new entirely for 2600/7800.

Basically i think the best mix of variety of Arcade, Home Computer esque and Console games would probably be the best thing to see, so it has more types of games for more people :)

I do think arcade shmups will probably still be the consoles core forté but it'll be nice to see more types of games available for the platform!

• Like 1

I might say this again, the home computer/mobile phone simulation game Alter Ego probably provides the closest thing to The Sims for something like the 7800, theres only 1 part where you really have to type anything, that being the characters name, which honestly the game was designed with some kind of pointer in mind but obviously was designed around cursor keys and 2 buttons, so its pretty console friendly all things considered.

Plus maybe this version could include both the Male and Female versions on one singular cartridge, perhaps even allow for a random choice option or a rare intersex mode, maybe the original creator of the game would be willing to update the games scenarios and such, a high score screen that is just how long you lived and your net worth, which oddly is a bit inspired by Tamagochi on the Game Boy's grave screen.

I played it a lot on DOS BOX and on android, some of it was weird and odd but some of it was interesting and thought provoking, its definetly an oddball pick for 7800, but i feel like that would add to it. You didnt have a realistic life sim/text rpg on the NES!

1 minute ago, Maztr_0n said:

I might say this again, the home computer/mobile phone simulation game Alter Ego probably provides the closest thing to The Sims for something like the 7800, theres only 1 part where you really have to type anything, that being the characters name, which honestly the game was designed with some kind of pointer in mind but obviously was designed around cursor keys and 2 buttons, so its pretty console friendly all things considered.

Plus maybe this version could include both the Male and Female versions on one singular cartridge, perhaps even allow for a random choice option or a rare intersex mode, maybe the original creator of the game would be willing to update the games scenarios and such, a high score screen that is just how long you lived and your net worth, which oddly is a bit inspired by Tamagochi on the Game Boy's grave screen.

I played it a lot on DOS BOX and on android, some of it was weird and odd but some of it was interesting and thought provoking, its definetly an oddball pick for 7800, but i feel like that would add to it. You didnt have a realistic life sim/text rpg on the NES!

This is alter ego's wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alter_Ego_(1986_video_game)

it was on a lot of contemporary home PCs of the day, C64, IBM, Apple II.

It's one of my favorite games from the day due to the concept, i dont think we saw much else like it, at least in the terms of social simulations of living as a person and going through different social situations until the 2000's. For a simulation title, i feel like it would feel nicely on the 7800 as a stand-out for an 8-Bit simulation title.

as for the more contemporary action titles, maybe a new take on berzerk/frenzy with colorful graphics, more sprites, etc. Basically think if a game called Berzerk III: The Frenzy Returns was being worked on in the late 80's to continue the franchise, still with the elements of pre-survival horror endless attempts to escape. Evil Otto, Sci-Fi energy, all that.

perhaps to keep the classic vibe of the minimalist art, while making it updated, perhaps the protagonist wears a helmet with black tinted glass, ya know so they can be self-insertable :)

a lot of good franchises out there, atari owned or from the old age of home computer titles from the 80's that could be expanded apon in the 7800 platform for new and old gamers alike.

• Like 1

Love Gaplus.  That would be a great port!  But for Atari franchises, an Adventure 3 for the 7800 would be cool as well.  Getting the rights to the Atari arcade Tetris for the 7800 would rock. 

As for Nintendo, they are very protective of their IP, and they are not into game preservation either.  It's not even worth debating whether or not we can get any ports from them at this point.  They are not into goodwill, just $$$$$.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, r_chase said:

I think the 7800 could be reborn as a modern 8-bit platform similar to Evercade. Like...I would love it if Atari somehow makes a 7800 SoC.
Of course, there is already the Atari edition Super Pocket.

absolutely i think the 7800 has a bright future today retrospectively and beyond.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, r_chase said:

I think the 7800 could be reborn as a modern 8-bit platform similar to Evercade. Like...I would love it if Atari somehow makes a 7800 SoC.
Of course, there is already the Atari edition Super Pocket.

We need a version of Tempest for 7800. Jeff Minter is still active.... I know he still remembers how to program Atari games, get him to produce T2600K. Or T7800K. Like seriously, it would be amazing. 2600 probably a stretch, I know there's that awful demo out there, but I thought Gyruss was awful from screenshots until I played it so.... 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I know there's that awful demo out there.

i swear, i think my flashback had that tempest 2600 demo, i had no clue what it was besides a vague idea of what tempest (the game) was but i remember playing it enough to burn it into my memories.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, Maztr_0n said:

i swear, i think my flashback had that tempest 2600 demo, i had no clue what it was besides a vague idea of what tempest (the game) was but i remember playing it enough to burn it into my memories.

Yeah, I mean it was a valiant try, but yeah. Tempest requires a 7800

i have something to bring up.

There was a 1990 remake of Exidy's Death Race for the NES, it was like a mix of Twisted Metal, Micro-machines, Fatal Run, Carmageddon and GTA and honestly i'd love to see a 2600 Death Race + 7800 Death Race 1990 port, that'd be interesting.

I know i already said a lot of absurdly impractical 8 bit ports but... just for my question i'll put forward the craziest

Driver 7800

A Grand Strategy Game for 7800

Judge Dredd ['95] for 2600/7800

Gremlins 7800

Nuke The B@$%&$ [Bastards] (Bally Astrocade Port for 2600

Elite 7800

Electrocop, 4x4 Riot, Toki, Fractalus, etc [unfinished prototypes/ports finished]

A minigame collection of the Atari Inspired minigames from the Five Nights at Freddys series on 2600

And the one that i feel like will never happen no matter what but deep down i just wanna say it would be interesting.

Lego Island for 7800.

Theres my most absurd picks

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 7:33 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Ding Ding Ding!

I'd love it if this meant Ken Siders Beef Drop (Burgertime) and b*nQ (Q*Bert) might get a re-release back in the AtariAge or Atari.com store. They really deserve it. I was a fool, should have ordered them during the last chance sale. Along with Bob's Space Invaders port. Are these the type of "backports" @KainXavier was asking about? What does @Albert and @Ben from Plaion think? Fingers crossed. 

15 hours ago, Zeptari said:

I'd love it if this meant Ken Siders Beef Drop (Burgertime) and b*nQ (Q*Bert) might get a re-release back in the AtariAge or Atari.com store. They really deserve it. I was a fool, should have ordered them during the last chance sale. Along with Bob's Space Invaders port. Are these the type of "backports" @KainXavier was asking about? What does @Albert and @Ben from Plaion think? Fingers crossed. 

Well, who could argue with those two titles, just great. Turning into a commercial proposition is another thing.

I have a certain love for Robotron 2084.  I would be curious how a demake of it would be on the 2600+   It would seem hard to bring that they are swarming on my feel. 

IMHO, it would be cool to throw some money at finishing the 7800 Defender port and do a follow up Stargate. 

Then, there is like a whole list of curiosities if I can dream for the 7800 - Zaxxon, M.U.L.E & ARCHON.

45 minutes ago, Atari_Dan said:

I have a certain love for Robotron 2084.  I would be curious how a demake of it would be on the 2600+   It would seem hard to bring that they are swarming on my feel. 

IMHO, it would be cool to throw some money at finishing the 7800 Defender port and do a follow up Stargate. 

Then, there is like a whole list of curiosities if I can dream for the 7800 - Zaxxon, M.U.L.E & ARCHON.

Oh would I love to see M.U.L.E on 7800!