IGNORED

7800 built in

vanman

According to Enter magazine from 1984. The US model was to have Pole Posiston 2 built in.

But it wasn't supposed to be built-in until September 1984. I actually don't see why Atari Corp didn't make Pole Position II built-in the system. That decision could have saved them some money making the cart shells and labels, then they could have spend that money towards developing more new games for the 7800.

Maybe a proto system exists out there or something.

It's quite possible.

Then again, if it was scheduled for 1984, the crash probably killed it off.

I wouldn't be suprised if a proto BIOS chip was out there. Curt mentioned a while ago that he had a proto 7800 BIOS but not what was different about it, maybe he'll see this thread and give us some info. :)

Mitch

Best Electronics, at one time, sold the NTSC Bios chip. I modded one of my 7800's with it and sure as heck, Asteroids comes up. It is kind of nice to. Usually if a 2600 game won't work, crashes (dirty contacts.. what not) Asteroids comes up instead of the machine screeching at you.

-Lee

Best Electronics, at one time, sold the NTSC Bios chip. I modded one of my 7800's with it and sure as heck, Asteroids comes up. It is kind of nice to. Usually if a 2600 game won't work, crashes (dirty contacts.. what not) Asteroids comes up instead of the machine screeching at you.

-Lee

Lee, I believe you are thinking of the PAL BIOS chip which is actually not PAL only but auto-detecting. It's either PAL or NTSC depending on which system it's in. And yes, I think Best still has them. :)

Mitch

What other cool games do you think you would have liked to have seen built in to the 7800? I always was jealous of the British and wanted a built in game! *shruggs* I have always thought that Food Fight would have made an -awesome- title that could have been built in. Very addictive, very unique, and very fun. It really highlighted what the 7800 was capable of. Just compare the graphics of Charley as compared to those of Mario on the NES. And look at all the sprites that are moving around the screen at one time.

So what would you guys have liked to see on there?

The 32 in 1 would have been nice or maybe Tempest or Black Widow (something new to the home consoles). A killer app like SMB but something done Atari style like Toobin' or something.

Does any one know if I am able to just replace the stock 7800 BIOS chip with one of these Asteroids chips or do I have to mod the board in any way?? Sounds like a cool little thing to add to a 7800.

Based on the history of the 7800, my thinking is maybe they were planning to have Pole Position II built into the system, but just before the system could be released, Jack Tramiel shelved it, and when it was finally released, they simply decided to release it as a cartridge instead of built in since they didn't have a lot of time. That's just my guess.