by Edward Swartz

-------------------------- BUG/INCOMPATIBILITY REPORT -------------------------

1)  FILE MANAGEMENT
    -------------------

a)  TI Emulator does not support low-level routines like sector
        read/write, formatting, etc.  This is because I never bothered
        in my TI years to find out how these calls were made to the
        device service routines.  Also, there is no reason to put a

It's not the current 6.0 version that's out there, and I was able to fit most of it on a 1.44MB floppy for DOS.  Does anyone still have this older version, or older versions of V9T9 in general?

Here's some of the time stamps just in case they might help.  The problem is, that I don't see a version number on here.

Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 12.24.43 PM.png

• Like 1

I will dig through my archives. I have a older one designed to run on dos. Works great. And should fit fine in a floppy. I used it for many years and recently got it working again in dosbox as there was some things I needed to test and it was my development machine for the longest time when I didn't have a real ti99 and before classic99 came out.

• Like 1

It is still available if you dig thru Edward's github. Here it is attached from the Github. Along with also a fixed v9t9 version from 99er.net

Later on I will attached my own custom v9t9 build that should fit on floppy as well, that is really better to use overall for compatibility of code. give me a few days to pack it up for you.

But tiemul1 should be the one you are looking for.

tiemul1.zip V9T9.zip

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Would be very fun if we could redo it for P-CODE and have the ti99 emulating itself!

There are quite some inline x86 ASM-Blocks which would need translation to TMS9900 .. actually more than Pascal code ...

18 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

It is still available if you dig thru Edward's github. Here it is attached from the Github. Along with also a fixed v9t9 version from 99er.net

Later on I will attached my own custom v9t9 build that should fit on floppy as well, that is really better to use overall for compatibility of code. give me a few days to pack it up for you.

But tiemul1 should be the one you are looking for.

tiemul1.zip 193.3 kB · 4 downloads V9T9.zip 1.87 MB · 4 downloads

Wow, great to know it's all out there now!  Thanks for finding this @Gary from OPA and @9640News!

I used MacV9T9 for many years. It was a conversion by Raphaël Nabet based on Ed Swartz's V9T9 v6.0. It had a few advantages over the DOS with support for 5 drives with no worries about file count or folder (aka floppy) size. Best was the options menu with a speed setting of slowed to a crawl .1 or blazing fast 10x or higher.

At the time MacV9T9 was released, the Mac was on System 7 with Mac Plus and the Se20. It would run on any Mac till Classic support was dropped. Now I use DOSbox like everyone else who wants to use V9T9, but I still prefer the Mac port.

-Ed

Here's the ReadMe file:

ReadMe-MacV9T9.txt

And a snip from that:

MacV9T9 - Read-Me
0.2.1a2 - 11/07/1999

Hello ! Thanks for your interest in MacV9T9.  I advise you to read the first three paragraphs before running MacV9T9 for the first time.

Description :

MacV9T9 is a TI99/4A emulator for the Macintosh.  It is based on V9T9 6 for PC (and to a lesser extent, on the new V9T9 in C - never released) by Ed Swartz.

System requirements :

MacV9T9 needs approximately 1 Mb of free memory.  It requires system 7 and Color QuickDraw (and therefore a 68020).  I am not sure it will work with system 7.0, or QuickDraw 8bits, since this was not tested.  Furthermore, it seems that MacV9T9 is not fast enough on a 68020 or 68030 to be really useful.

(Nota : It should not be too difficult for me to make MacV9T9 work with system 6 or basic Quickdraw.  But I won't do so unless I have reports that the speed is decent on 68020/68030 computers.  (I might still do this, because it would be funny to have MacV9T9 run in vMac, which only emulates a Mac Plus...))

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

System requirements :

MacV9T9 needs approximately 1 Mb of free memory.  It requires system 7 and Color QuickDraw (and therefore a 68020).  I am not sure it will work with system 7.0, or QuickDraw 8bits, since this was not tested.  Furthermore, it seems that MacV9T9 is not fast enough on a 68020 or 68030 to be really useful.

(Nota : It should not be too difficult for me to make MacV9T9 work with system 6 or basic Quickdraw.  But I won't do so unless I have reports that the speed is decent on 68020/68030 computers.  (I might still do this, because it would be funny to have MacV9T9 run in vMac, which only emulates a Mac Plus...))

Given this, I am curious how it would run on a 50MHz '060 Amiga.  Heck, even a MacMini MorphOS or OS4.1 on whatever runs it these days.

18 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Given this, I am curious how it would run on a 50MHz '060 Amiga.  Heck, even a MacMini MorphOS or OS4.1 on whatever runs it these days.

One of only two Macs I've owned since New (and that's a whole lotta Macs) was a 636 with an '030 chip and System 7.5, MacV9T9 ran with no problems on that platform.

On through to System 9.1.4, then my second new mac was the iMac 500 G3, even better, but it had to be run in Classic mode, os10 did not support it.

When Mac dropped Classic support I either had to use an older Mac or switch to the DOS version of V9T9. Enter you with that Dell laptop you so thoughtfully provided gave me the ability to run  Tursi's Classic99 for the best emulation yet of a Ti99! Woot!

-Ed

• Like 1

I wrote my very first assembly program, Skychart, using v9t9 under DOS back in 2006. It's integrated debugger was a life saver.

I bought a few months ago the 386 Pocket computer from AliExpress and I'm very tempted to install v9t9 on it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I wrote my very first assembly program, Skychart, using v9t9 under DOS back in 2006. It's integrated debugger was a life saver.

I bought a few months ago the 386 Pocket computer from AliExpress and I'm very tempted to install v9t9 on it!

I been thinking the same thing, getting one of those pocket 386 and having v9t9 as the only thing running, and it would be cool portable ti99 system, and since the source code is out there for v9t9, no harm adding in some new bells and whistles as well.

• Like 2

Dug through my external backup(s) from my old DOS machine and found two directories of older emulator files.

Here are the two 7zip's of those directories.  Hope this helps!

TI_EMULS_1.7z

TI_EMULS_2.7z

Here's a patched V9T9 V6.0 for double sided??  Not sure if this was for SD or DD.  As I have not used this in ages.

Did my original Infocom ports using V9T9 and my TI (CCMES) about 25 years ago.

V9T9DS.7z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Torrax said:

Dug through my external backup(s) from my old DOS machine and found two directories of older emulator files.

Here are the two 7zip's of those directories.  Hope this helps!

TI_EMULS_1.7z 2.18 MB · 0 downloads

TI_EMULS_2.7z 620.82 kB · 0 downloads

Here's a patched V9T9 V6.0 for double sided??  Not sure if this was for SD or DD.  As I have not used this in ages.

Did my original Infocom ports using V9T9 and my TI (CCMES) about 25 years ago.

V9T9DS.7z 42.83 kB · 0 downloads

I will say that I downloaded all 3 of these files and they all came up as having this same virus.

files.jpg

14 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I will say that I downloaded all 3 of these files and they all came up as having this same virus.

files.jpg

Came up clean for me using AVG Internet Security Business Edition 24.4.3332 (build 24.4.9067.845), virus definition 240805-12.  Submission to VirusTotal also returned nothing. (Cannot be sure about VT as it seems to ignore nested archives.)

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

Came up clean for me using AVG Internet Security Business Edition 24.4.3332 (build 24.4.9067.845), virus definition 240805-12.  Submission to VirusTotal also returned nothing.

Gotcha, this is just windows defender stating this. I figured he had old virus's  from back in the day attached to some of his old dos files. 

Just now, RickyDean said:

Gotcha, this is just windows defender stating this. I figured he had old virus's  from back in the day attached to some of his old dos files. 

That was my thought, too.  Not outside the realm of possibility.  Old viruses never die.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Very weird, as I also just downoaded all 3, extracted and scanned with Windows Defender AND Bitdefender and all came up clean. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

I assumed this was Windows defender, but it could just be the win 11 built in windows security, maybe not the same as defender

file1s.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

I assumed this was Windows defender, but it could just be the win 11 built in windows security, maybe not the same as defender

file1s.jpg

Ah sorry, I am also on Windows 11 and I did mean Windows Security, strange we would get different result, my mind still thinks back to old Defender. 

555.thumb.jpg.24a368edf7fb4d54e44e8fdfe9ceca27.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Anything labelled as !ml in the virus detected name normally there is no need to worry as the tag !ml means "machine learning" which 99% of the type is just fuzzy logic thinking it matching a key phrase or hash.

You can trigger with just certain English words in a plain .txt file.

Alot of times it also because of the program used to do the packing older versions of WinRAR and 7zip will 100% trigger it just because of their version header, as they labeled as commodity malware since the certain versions can be exploited.

Then finally you have the content cloud url that forum software uses. Once you triggered it once, then that url gets added to the bad list and everything else from then on when you try to grab a file from AtariAge it will be automatically triggered again even if it's an different file.

The same actual v9t9 from GitHub or 99er.net will not triggered it but attached that same file here on the forums and suddenly it gets triggered.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been away for a bit.  The version of 7-zip that created those files was 23.01 and just upgraded it to 24.08.  Never had those files flagged as infected before.

Gary from OPA has the best explanation as to what is going on there.

23 minutes ago, Torrax said:

Been away for a bit.  The version of 7-zip that created those files was 23.01 and just upgraded it to 24.08.  Never had those files flagged as infected before.

Gary from OPA has the best explanation as to what is going on there.

i recently, sadly uninstalled all those types of programs, 7zip and winrar, etc. and now just new the windows 11 internal feature to make a compressed folder, or extract one (of course doesn't handle RAR), but now just using the windows internal support, i have not had any more issues having new compressed files flagged after sharing them or old ones when unpacking them either.

Edited by Gary from OPA
spelling / grammar / my native english is no good!

FYI - the latest version, last time Ed mentioned to change sometimes some settings 

@echo off

set VMARGS=-Xmx256M -Dlog4j.configuration="jar:file:%~dp0%/v9t9j.jar!/log4j.properties"

rem set VMARGS=%VMARGS% -Dlog4j.configuration="jar:file:%~dp0%/v9t9j.jar!/debug.properties"

java -version
if ERRORLEVEL 1 (
    @echo Java not installed.  Please install it and try again.
    pause
    start http://java.com
) else (
    rem apparently Win7 does not like this format anymore... 
    rem java %VMARGS% -jar "%~dp0%\v9t9j.jar" %*

java %VMARGS% -jar "%~dp0%\v9t9j.jar" --client SWT
    pause
)

Also do a right-click inside the blue TI-Window  with the mouse to enable the "Show Advanced Controls"  at the bottom of the screen.

image.thumb.png.db491f577d3e8b863d01c1178ba3ae8f.png

image.thumb.png.be456c87b2af20944fba8f145c0d4382.png

• Like 1