IGNORED

Atari-oWare Community Driven Game (Idea)

Not sure how this could come together but I think it would be really cool to make a WarioWare-like game for the 7800 and have the community make microgames for it that someone (hopefully me if I can figure out how LOL) could wrap up into a single game. I tend to lose motivation on making games due to me not having too much knowledge, but I feel like this would be perfect as I am soon going into university for game design. Right now this is just an idea but I'd love to make it a reality.

• Like 6

I am currently writing a small storyline driven game made of random minigames. The idea is to combine the minigames with a goal to collect coins. If you succeed the minigame your coins you bet doubles. If you fail you lose your bet.

The game is still wip and the storyline is much too long. Plus most minigames are not implemented yet.

Nyttkuva2023-12-20165050.thumb.png.88eef8bba2a8c179386563ad2e5468ef.png

rainbow.a78

• Like 3

14 hours ago, karri said:

I am currently writing a small storyline driven game made of random minigames. The idea is to combine the minigames with a goal to collect coins. If you succeed the minigame your coins you bet doubles. If you fail you lose your bet.

The game is still wip and the storyline is much too long. Plus most minigames are not implemented yet.

Nyttkuva2023-12-20165050.thumb.png.88eef8bba2a8c179386563ad2e5468ef.png

rainbow.a78 48.13 kB · 0 downloads

Neat! Once my 7800 comes in I'll give it a whirl!

Just this morning I was thinking it's been a long time since I did any programming or 7800 dev, and that I should pick back up some of the WIP games I was doing... maybe this is a good, low-stress "re-entry." I'd be down to contribute something if someone comes up with the template.

On 8/4/2024 at 2:08 PM, NoLogicNeeded said:

OH NO, YOU'VE FOUND ME OUT! I'm making you chumps do all the work, and I get all the money!!! WA HA HA!

(Joking, I am going to work on it lol)

Joke's on you, there is no money! Mwa ha ha. ;-)

53 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Joke's on you, there is no money! Mwa ha ha. ;-)

Oh yes there is! This minigame collection will be on sale at eJagfest in November (together with 7 other games on my multicart).

Multicart.thumb.jpg.579d82bc71af679bdcf34619fe40e7dc.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know if this would be suitable but I ported Blowsub, originally a mini-game on the 5200/A8. I wouldn't normally revisit things past, but I always wondered with more time what else I may have done with it. The answer seems to be not a lot, because after rewriting it for the 7800 I haven't felt inspired to do anything with it. Graphics are by @kiwilove and Pixel fish tank set by Brysia (itch.io). Control is either a joystick in port #1 or a paddle in port #2. The aim is to destroy the submarines scoring enough points for extended time; hitting a mine will destroy everything on screen, hitting an electric eel is shocking. It lacks high score support and needs some difficulty options, maybe a better title screen too.

bs.a78

• Like 4

7 hours ago, playsoft said:

I don't know if this would be suitable but I ported Blowsub, originally a mini-game on the 5200/A8. I wouldn't normally revisit things past, but I always wondered with more time what else I may have done with it. The answer seems to be not a lot, because after rewriting it for the 7800 I haven't felt inspired to do anything with it. Graphics are by @kiwilove and Pixel fish tank set by Brysia (itch.io). Control is either a joystick in port #1 or a paddle in port #2. The aim is to destroy the submarines scoring enough points for extended time; hitting a mine will destroy everything on screen, hitting an electric eel is shocking. It lacks high score support and needs some difficulty options, maybe a better title screen too.

bs.a78 48.13 kB · 3 downloads

I like this one! A fun, simple shooter with great graphics.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eagle said:

320C ? :D 

I was thinking more of gameplay but I do have a 320C mini-game of sorts; a spoof game that lampoons Atari. The idea was to release it last Christmas when the Atari acquisition of AtariAge was fresh in everyone's mind, but I ended up abandoning it as it was too stupid. It's probably not entirely suitable for kids or Atari employees.

Graphics from:

https://sondanielson.itch.io/gameboy-simple-rpg-tileset  
https://parabellum-games.itch.io/gb-studio-indoors       
https://parabellum-games.itch.io/gb-studio-character-pack
https://opengameart.org/content/16x16-fantasy-tileset    

atarimas.a78

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The snowing effect really cannot be appreciate with a capture.  It looks absolutely fantastic in motion.  There are a few layers at different speeds providing almost a 3D appearance.  It continues to snow even during screen transitions.  Absolutely love it!

Ensure to watch this at its full size/screen to remove the moiré effect:

*Note: Any graphical glitch(es) is the fault of the recording (software) - not the game.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Eagle said:

Looks fantastic in 320C 😍

And it could look better with graphics specifically designed for 320C. I just did an automatic conversion of those graphics; whenever there's a conflict with a pixel pair containing 2 different colours, replace the darkest pixel with the background.

6 hours ago, Trebor said:

The snowing effect really cannot be appreciate with a capture.  It looks absolutely fantastic in motion.  There are a few layers at different speeds providing almost a 3D appearance.  It continues to snow even during screen transitions.  Absolutely love it!

The snow is just re-used starfield code but there's something unintentionally neat about how it looks when the screen transitions.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2024 at 11:50 AM, playsoft said:

I was thinking more of gameplay but I do have a 320C mini-game of sorts; a spoof game that lampoons Atari. The idea was to release it last Christmas when the Atari acquisition of AtariAge was fresh in everyone's mind, but I ended up abandoning it as it was too stupid. It's probably not entirely suitable for kids or Atari employees.

Graphics from:

https://sondanielson.itch.io/gameboy-simple-rpg-tileset  
https://parabellum-games.itch.io/gb-studio-indoors       
https://parabellum-games.itch.io/gb-studio-character-pack
https://opengameart.org/content/16x16-fantasy-tileset    

atarimas.a78 128.13 kB · 39 downloads

What a nice game and great ending. Eagerly waiting for the sequel.

I find the story entertaining and funny. I would very much like to add it as a game to my eJagfest multicart... Any chance to get permission for that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karri said:

What a nice game and great ending. Eagerly waiting for the sequel.

I find the story entertaining and funny. I would very much like to add it as a game to my eJagfest multicart... Any chance to get permission for that?

Of course, please feel free to include it. However it does need cart RAM which is used to hold the 320C playfield as a bitmap (so there are Maria cycles left for sprites). If it's still viable let me know, if nothing else I'd add some audio.

The sequel does require some more material from Atari to work with, but I am sure they will provide 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:20 PM, Trebor said:

Ensure to watch this at its full size/screen to remove the moiré effect:

*Note: Any graphical glitch(es) is the fault of the recording (software) - not the game.  

WOW! That looks fantastic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If that had only been around circa 1986! Wow. That looks so great.

I had the same idea for a group of mini-games a la Wario-ware. Maybe we can all put our heads together and come up with something good. (besides a concussion)