IGNORED

Anyone seriously considering the Atari Asteroids Arcade machine?

82-T/A

Atari is currently taking pre-orders for this: https://atari.com/products/atari-asteroids-recharged-arcademachine

Man, I must be the most irresponsible person on the planet, but I'm quasi-seriously considering one. I love Asteroids... like, it's one of my favorite games in the world... and the new recharged one is awesome. It's a legitimate arcade machine... but it's $6,300 bucks. Like... I could also go out and buy a used 1970s TransAm (that would be a little beat) and terrorize the neighborhood with burnouts and then .. well, whatever that leads to.

But this... the quality looks amazing, and I'm sure it's going to be amazing. I really want it... but part of me says... Todd... this is too rich for your blood to spend $6,300 on an arcade machine you'll occasionally plan.

Anyone else mulling it over? I'm at like 30%... be the desirability is a solid 100%...

CopyofJuneAsteroidsAtariReq3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm at say.. 85%

I'm considering talking with the local brewpub if they would want it there to maybe help liven up the joint... draw in some people.

Especially if I can get Atari to post about it being at the place.  Which probably wouldn't be difficult to do.

...  failing that- I'm still considering just buying it and putting it in my garage for fun.

• Like 1

I've been involved with the development on this game to some degree - since I own/operate and arcade, I'm helping the devs (Alan-1) do things that are expected from other arcade operators. I'm also testing one at my arcade right now. Unfortunately it's not earning as well as I'd like to see BUT I have an older model. I will be getting it changed out with the model you see above here soon.

At California Extreme a week ago, the game was really a hit. Alan-1 had 4 machines there and they were getting played almost the entire time (even had lines a few times). It is a great game room piece, but if you have a place in your area that would let you install it, you could make a few bucks off of it too ;)

Here's a little footage I got of it from CAX:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Atari is currently taking pre-orders for this: https://atari.com/products/atari-asteroids-recharged-arcademachine

Man, I must be the most irresponsible person on the planet, but I'm quasi-seriously considering one. I love Asteroids... like, it's one of my favorite games in the world... and the new recharged one is awesome. It's a legitimate arcade machine... but it's $6,300 bucks. Like... I could also go out and buy a used 1970s TransAm (that would be a little beat) and terrorize the neighborhood with burnouts and then .. well, whatever that leads to.

But this... the quality looks amazing, and I'm sure it's going to be amazing. I really want it... but part of me says... Todd... this is too rich for your blood to spend $6,300 on an arcade machine you'll occasionally plan.

Anyone else mulling it over? I'm at like 30%... be the desirability is a solid 100%...

The game on Steam is $10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Probably.  Not me, but I'm sure someone else is.  

Not a chance.

Even thinking about one of my favorite games of all time being turned into an actual arcade cabinet (Tempest 2000), as amazing as that would actually be, I would never.

Not for the price at least. And I'm not at all a cheap person when it comes to the things I like or want. It just doesn't make sense.

Sure, even if there's a laundry list of reasons why this is so expensive, that's not going to change the reality of practicality.

The closest I got to spending a considerable amount of coin was for the Pong coffee table. Then they literally doubled the price and I never looked again.

This is going to be one of those machines that probably sells less than 100 units of, if they get to even half that many.

2 hours ago, thanatos said:

The game on Steam is $10.

This is key. Probably part of the reason I have a hard time seeing it in a $6,290 glorified cabinet. One that I find that is most likely overpriced by a factor of 3x+

Maybe this video is more telling of all though, which also begs the question: how did we get to this point with this game in the first place?

I think my final takeaway is that the quality of the arcade cabinet far exceeds what the game warrants given the times we are in. Or the game itself I guess?

There is no denying that the cabinet/artwork is beautifully done.

For the record, they raised the price to $6,499. Hurry, get your pre-order in before they up it to $7,500! /s

• Like 1

I have a couple of arcade machines already (not 1-Ups, but original systems), to be honest... but I do really like this machine. It looks fantastic. I don't really have the room for it (I think I already have 1 too many). And the price is just a little bit too much, even for my impulsiveness. I could never bring myself to take any of my arcade machines to an arcade... I've seen how people beat on these things, and I'd lose my shit if my brand new Asteroids arcade got so much as a little scratch on it.

Well... I'll think about it until the end of the month... but damn. 

• Like 1

I can see Atari making money off of this.  $6,500 is a lot of money for most people, but there is still a good numer of people who will splash that kind of cash.

Think about how many "man caves" and "she sheds" there are in America.  People spend more than $6,500 on the seating alone.  People easily spend more than that on their home theater sound systems.  In a city where I recently lived, I met people who were into sports gambling who would have six enormous flat screens filling up a wall so they could indulge their addiction hobby.  

It's not for me.  It's not for most people.  But there is a market for it.  

(The arcade sales/rental store down the street has a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet I've been lusting after for the last year, but if I had $800, I'd put it into a new car.)

• Like 1

The price is about $9,000 Canadian (before taxes and shipping).  In more practical terms, 7 months rent or 15 months of payments on my vehicle. 

Since I live in an apartment, the only place to put it would be the middle of my living room. 

Sadly, it looks like I am not part of the target market for this system.

I keep thinking about it. For $6,500 bucks, I'd like to lift the hood. I'd like to know if it's made of thin particle board (like a 1-Up), or if it's made like a classic arcade machine. Is the control panel steel, and what kind of speakers / amp is in there? I'd like to look inside.

I'm seriously considering it... 

• Like 2

my buddy john setup the platform it runs on and worked with the designers to make the cabinet. he also did avian knights. he worked at atari at the end, and his game there was tmek. john did tell me the interface can handle so many inputs, it could run a pinball..

the cabs look fantastic, but it would be a pass for me. From what I gathered, the cab could be used to run other games. Since there is a whole bunch of those recharged games, I think if it ran all of those, it would be more reasonable to buy, but then you get into the confusion issues of running a selection menu.

I am sure its solid.  I can ask john about the construction of it.  but I am sure they worked with a quality cabinet maker.

Edited by mr.bill
  • Like 4

This is an arcade machine meant for arcades and family entertainment centers, and I think the price is in line with other similar games. Alan-1 is allowing non-arcade operators to buy one if they want, but at the same price an arcade would pay. This is not meant for a non-arcade mass market release. They are just giving the fans the opportunity to buy one if they want.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I keep thinking about it. For $6,500 bucks, I'd like to lift the hood. I'd like to know if it's made of thin particle board (like a 1-Up), or if it's made like a classic arcade machine. Is the control panel steel, and what kind of speakers / amp is in there? I'd like to look inside.

I'm seriously considering it... 

A recent Atari podcast was with Alan-1. They gave details and showed some interior shots.

https://youtu.be/izDrLT0v5js?si=tXozqrn-n8gMbJOX

It looks solid to me, but I am no expert.

@Shaggy the Atarian Could you chime in on the build quality?

On 8/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, 82-T/A said:

I gave it some thought but my max probability was about 20% and has drifted down toward 0%. I'd love to have it but I have a few coin-ops in the garage that don't get played.

11 hours ago, waynel said:

In a city where I recently lived, I met people who were into sports gambling who would have six enormous flat screens filling up a wall so they could indulge their addiction hobby.  

My wife would like to move and we recently saw a house that had a seating area for 4 large flat screens that could create 4 separate displays or one huge display. I would definitely rather do that even though I play most of my games on an old 13" television from the 80s.

4 hours ago, Pitfall Harry said:

I only have one coin-op arcade machine, and that's Galaga. 

Would love a Galaga even more than the new Asteroids

1 hour ago, Skydog said:

@Shaggy the Atarian As an arcade guru, do you think a consumer purchase would go up/down in value depending on the number of units manufactured?

This is definitely a good question... it would help me convince myself that this is an investment as much as it is entertainment.

• Like 2

This is definitely a good question... it would help me convince myself that this is an investment as much as it is entertainment.

And convince my other half too. This is one package that would be difficult to get delivered under the radar haha

Edited by Skydog
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

A recent Atari podcast was with Alan-1. They gave details and showed some interior shots.

https://youtu.be/izDrLT0v5js?si=tXozqrn-n8gMbJOX

It looks solid to me, but I am no expert.

@Shaggy the Atarian Could you chime in on the build quality?

Sure - that's one of the main reasons I've been brought on to consult at Alan-1. The first cabinets they gave me were not up to the standard that operators would expect for the price. In discussing it directly with the shop foreman, I've been able to help guide them as they build something better. Currently there is an engineering discussion going on due to the feet, as they encountered some unexpected problems in shipping, but they are looking to implement something that is "better than industry standard."

One thing that foreman had me do a few weeks ago was to inspect each cabinet and tag them if they had any kind of issue that would give me a pause. Only 6 of the cabinets out of the 20 or so they had built/partially built had an issue; but they since corrected them. Overall, Alan-1 has been much better about testing & implementing cabinet iterations than I've seen some indies/newcomers do. 

The final design is soon rolling out but given what I've seen, I'd put my stamp of approval on them. People were also commenting on it at CAX, including ex-Atarian Owen Rubin (creator of Space Duel, Major Havoc, etc., for any Atari noobs that read this) who was practically raving about it (he particularly loved the monitor - it's 4K, so the graphics look very sharp and vector-like).

4 hours ago, Skydog said:

@Shaggy the Atarian As an arcade guru, do you think a consumer purchase would go up/down in value depending on the number of units manufactured?

That's a little tough to answer. If the game is a wild success, that helps it hold value more than a mid-success or a flop (see pricing on Ms. Pac-Man machines). That said, the gauge for success in today's market is not the same as it was in the early 80s. If you've sold 1,000 units, that could be considered a modern success. 10,000+ is possible, but rare (only instances I know of that have managed 10k+ in recent times are Golden Tee, Big Buck Hunter, Jurassic Park Arcade, and Cruis'n Blast, the latter game being "our best selling game ever" according to Eugene Jarvis at Raw Thrills).

One thing that skewers things is pinball. Everyone looks at that and goes "wow, that's so hot right now! Look at how much they resell for!" Values & depreciation stats of video arcades are completely different than pinball, however which is unfortunate but logical, due to their inherent physical differences. 

Generally speaking, I'd expect the value on any video arcade to diminish by 50% over 5 years. If the game is a major hit, or if collectors buy them up en masse, then that can affect it positively over the long run though. 

Just note that there will be a home version coming for Asteroids. Same quality cabinet, just with a few minor changes to reduce price - one that might be the case, but I'm not sure about, is no coin door. While it might be cheaper, the fact that you couldn't sell that to anything other than another collector or a free play arcade would mean that it would be a harder resell - but, it would be more affordable to start with (just don't expect Arcade1up pricing)

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Sure - that's one of the main reasons I've been brought on to consult at Alan-1. The first cabinets they gave me were not up to the standard that operators would expect for the price. In discussing it directly with the shop foreman, I've been able to help guide them as they build something better. Currently there is an engineering discussion going on due to the feet, as they encountered some unexpected problems in shipping, but they are looking to implement something that is "better than industry standard."

One thing that foreman had me do a few weeks ago was to inspect each cabinet and tag them if they had any kind of issue that would give me a pause. Only 6 of the cabinets out of the 20 or so they had built/partially built had an issue; but they since corrected them. Overall, Alan-1 has been much better about testing & implementing cabinet iterations than I've seen some indies/newcomers do. 

The final design is soon rolling out but given what I've seen, I'd put my stamp of approval on them. People were also commenting on it at CAX, including ex-Atarian Owen Rubin (creator of Space Duel, Major Havoc, etc., for any Atari noobs that read this) who was practically raving about it (he particularly loved the monitor - it's 4K, so the graphics look very sharp and vector-like).

That's a little tough to answer. If the game is a wild success, that helps it hold value more than a mid-success or a flop (see pricing on Ms. Pac-Man machines). That said, the gauge for success in today's market is not the same as it was in the early 80s. If you've sold 1,000 units, that could be considered a modern success. 10,000+ is possible, but rare (only instances I know of that have managed 10k+ in recent times are Golden Tee, Big Buck Hunter, Jurassic Park Arcade, and Cruis'n Blast, the latter game being "our best selling game ever" according to Eugene Jarvis at Raw Thrills).

One thing that skewers things is pinball. Everyone looks at that and goes "wow, that's so hot right now! Look at how much they resell for!" Values & depreciation stats of video arcades are completely different than pinball, however which is unfortunate but logical, due to their inherent physical differences. 

Generally speaking, I'd expect the value on any video arcade to diminish by 50% over 5 years. If the game is a major hit, or if collectors buy them up en masse, then that can affect it positively over the long run though. 

Just note that there will be a home version coming for Asteroids. Same quality cabinet, just with a few minor changes to reduce price - one that might be the case, but I'm not sure about, is no coin door. While it might be cheaper, the fact that you couldn't sell that to anything other than another collector or a free play arcade would mean that it would be a harder resell - but, it would be more affordable to start with (just don't expect Arcade1up pricing)

Well that's interesting, especially with Atari taking pre-orders for the full-fat arcade cabinet on their website right now. Very interested to know how the pricing will compare.