IGNORED

2600+ vs retron 77?

genfuyung

So I couldn't figure out which was best so I just bought both and the differences I've noticed so far is that the retron 77 has a constant low buzzing noise coming from the speakers, it has a weird phosphor filter, and the colors are wrong in some games? On the 2600+ the out of bounds in real sports volleyball is tan but on the 77 they are eye bleeding red. Which is right?

Edit: when I play volleyball from the cart, the colors are correct on the 77. Any idea why the ROM would be a different color?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, genfuyung said:

So I couldn't figure out which was best so I just bought both and the differences I've noticed so far is that the retron 77 has a constant low buzzing noise coming from the speakers, it has a weird phosphor filter, and the colors are wrong in some games? On the 2600+ the out of bounds in real sports volleyball is tan but on the 77 they are eye bleeding red. Which is right?

Edit: when I play volleyball from the cart, the colors are correct on the 77. Any idea why the ROM would be a different color?

"Right":

RealSports Volleyball NTSC = "eye bleeding red".

RealSports Volleyball PAL = "tan".

• Like 1

First of all, if you want to play games like gyruss and activisions decathlon, You will get better compatibility on the twenty six hundred plus. At least from the last time I checked the retron seventy seven's compatibility list.

Also it looks a lot better physically. Much better.

It has a newer version of stella, which that person could have told you because he knows that.

And it has seventy eight hundred support that the 77 doesn't. Unfortunately, instead of being helpful, he would rather be the way he is.

It also uses USB C. Having USB C is always an advantage in this day and age, when we're trying to get rid of all those old connectors.

The 2600+ is still being updated as we speak by people that are working on improving compatibility.

I hope this has been a helpful post lol

Edited by tradyblix
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, genfuyung said:

I own both and I’m glad I do. But since I received my 2600+ that’s pretty much all I use now. I like my Retron 77 but it’s starting to collect dust. The 2600+  does so much more. Thanks to Ben, Atari and everyone else who made it possible.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

I know it goes against what Atari is trying to do but I wish the 2600+ had a card slot like the Retron77 does. If it did I would go ahead and get one.

You should get one! You won’t regret it. I guess everyone has different preferences, I see your point. For some, if you don’t already have an existing library of games It makes sense to want the card slot. But you can find so many physical copies for just a few dollars. In my case I have a local game store that’s stocked with 2600 games most are $1.00 so no shipping costs. Myself I like it the way it is I’m able to use my physical games again. If it had the card slot I wouldn’t be using them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, genfuyung said:

Watch out for the Thread Police! 🤣

IMG_1501.gif

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 2

The only reason I say the card slot is so if there is a compatibility problem with a physical copy of a home brew or new games then maybe you could still maybe play it with the slot.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

The only reason I say the card slot is so if there is a compatibility problem with a physical copy of a home brew or new games then maybe you could still maybe play it with the slot.

That’s true. Makes sense, eliminates the clutter of other consoles. Then you would have just one all around go to console.

I like that!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, genfuyung said:

Can't figure out how to delete the post. Sorry.

No worries! You should be able to delete your own topics if you choose to. But you shouldn’t be locked out of your own topic that you start. When I first started using this forum it was a bit confusing. Some don’t seem to realize that.

Edited by MrChickenz

42 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:
50 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

That’s true. Makes sense, eliminates the clutter of other consoles. Then you would have just one all around go to console.

I like that!

@bigfriendly In addition to this, adding a card slot could eliminate some competition with the 2600+ which would be a plus for the plus! Lol

Edited by MrChickenz

This has been done to death I think.

If you mostly want to play roms get the R77.  Or Atari GameStation Pro.  Or Atari Flashback.  Or a MiSTer, Analogue Pocket, RetroPie, PS Classic, any old laptop, etc, etc, etc.  The R77 can at least do carts also, to the extent it is compatible with them, but most people just do roms the majority of the time I'm guessing.

2600+ doesn't have a card reader.  But it does play 7800 games, and this is not insignificant.  You can do some limited rom loading with current/future support for Harmony carts.  Beyond that it is basically about (mostly) recreating an authentic 2600/7800 physical cart experience with only select modern conveniences, namely power and HDMI.  Not perfect but improving and under active development toward that goal, and better cart compatibility than R77.  It doesn't really need to be anything else.

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Atari 3600 Prototype

AKA 7800

IMG_1500.jpeg

IMG_1496.webp

IMG_1497.webp

IMG_1499.webp

Is that last one a "prison 7800" ? lol 

Forget roms. Stop being lazy and collect some carts, they are not expensive. in 6 months I built a master collection of almost 100 games with just pocket money. 

You'll respect the games and play them longer than you will with the roms, plus it's a conversation piece. 

I spit on your Retron 77 ! lol 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, genfuyung said:

Interesting. The 77 seems to just randomly select which version each time I turn on the system.

On my Retron 77 Real Sports Volleyball boots up with a red out of bounds but once you start the game it’s tan. I believe this is normal .

It’s the same for my 2600+ as well. 
First 2 screenshots are from the Retron 77

Second two Screenshots are from the Atari 2600+

Last Screenshot I got my ass kicked but the sun was in my eyes! lol.

What version of Firmware are you using?

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz

On 8/7/2024 at 6:30 PM, MrChickenz said:

On my Retron 77 Real Sports Volleyball boots up with a red out of bounds but once you start the game it’s tan. I believe this is normal .

It’s the same for my 2600+ as well. 
First 2 screenshots are from the Retron 77

Second two Screenshots are from the Atari 2600+

Last Screenshot I got my ass kicked but the sun was in my eyes! lol.

What version of Firmware are you using?

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

Purple among us playing ball

Also i'd say for the short jist

I'd say you can make a case right now that the 77 is a decent enough choice if you dont have the desire to play 7800 games and just wanna play a handful of carts and a couple roms off SD Card

But i imagine, hopefully with time the 2600+ will just be in a league of its own as it seemingly already is looking to be, especially once public updates launch for all operating systems and hopefully, more re-releases and new titles release for the 2600/7800 to offset the... overwhelming demand for more supply to say the least about the second hand market, i can see why right now some may be hesitant to jump on it now, even if its on sale.

But i feel like in 1-2 years it might just be the 2600+ unless you really want that ambidextrous joystick...

• Like 2