IGNORED

RECEIVED: Tandy 1000SX startup diskette

Dopy25

I'm looking for someone who can make me a copy of the Tandy startup floppy I can use to test my floppy drive on a Tandy 1000SX.

I have a pack blank of floppies. I'll send them to someone who can make me a boot disk and send it back. Bonus props to anyone willing to send me something fun to use on the Tandy.

This is what I see at boot. 

IMG_20240806_212736.jpg

IMG_20240806_212738.jpg

IMG_20240806_212739.jpg

IMG_20240806_212740.jpg

Edited by Dopy25

Here's the pack of blank floppies I'll send to someone in exchange for a boot disk. The package is sealed. It's up to you if you want to open it, or send me copies from a different pack. I'm not picky. I just have no idea what I'm doing with this. It has a hard card installed but it won't boot from that, I'm guessing. 

PXL_20240807_132556236.jpg

PXL_20240807_132604620.jpg

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, eightbit said:

While I unfortunately no longer have the hardware to help you here make a disk, I wanted to bring up something I was looking at the other day that could help you make that disk yourself (and do a bunch of other stuff):

https://www.serdashop.com/PicoMEM

Dude that's awesome! I've found a few different boot solutions, but that looks way better than anything else. 

Also I noticed that I think the floppies I have are too big (storage). So I'm not sure what to do. 

EDIT:

Ugggghhhhhh. The Tandy 1000sx is incompatible.

While the PicoMEM is in an advanced and functioning state, it is still a work in progress. There are several caveats and known issues on various systems. Notably, the Tandy 1000 series of machines is currently not compatible. 

Screenshot_20240808-182739.png

Edited by Dopy25
  • Sad 1

I'll have a go making a couple floppies for ya this weekend. The diskettes you show in your photos are HighDensity(HD) for 1.2Mb drives. The Tandy1000SX has a 360k drive that used DoubleDensity(DD) floppies. As far I as know, they are not interchangeable could be wrong though :) There is a gimmick similar to what eightbit suggested, an XT-IDE device. It uses CF/SD cards for storage and acts like a hard drive. There are various sources for these, I have TexElec version, https://texelec.com/product/isa-compactflash-adapter/ in my 1000SX, works great!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, onlyinajeep said:

I'll have a go making a couple floppies for ya this weekend. The diskettes you show in your photos are HighDensity(HD) for 1.2Mb drives. The Tandy1000SX has a 360k drive that used DoubleDensity(DD) floppies. As far I as know, they are not interchangeable could be wrong though :) There is a gimmick similar to what eightbit suggested, an XT-IDE device. It uses CF/SD cards for storage and acts like a hard drive. There are various sources for these, I have TexElec version, https://texelec.com/product/isa-compactflash-adapter/ in my 1000SX, works great!

Thanks a bunch! I do believe you're correct. The space is not correct for the 360k needed for a Tandy. I didn't realize that until I kept reading for a solution. They're still yours if you want them and can send me a bootable version of DOS on my Tandy. Everything I've found says to install DOS from a floppy to the CF/SD/HDD but I don't even know if my floppy drive works 🤷🏼‍♂️. So I'm on a mission to find a way to use one of those solutions without a working floppy. It's been a pain so far. 

I plan on buying that one or one that has an accessible slot from the back of the Tandy. It's about $15 more for that one though. 

Either way, I'll need a way to install DOS to it so I'll need a floppy. Looking forward to hearing back from you!!! 

2 hours ago, onlyinajeep said:

And you can upgrade your memory to 640k quite easily. Just pop eight KM41256 (256k X 1) chips in the empty sockets next to the current ram and change a jumper (iirc).

Absolutely! The computer came with 640, but one of them is bad. I haven't narrowed down which 256k is the culprit but I figure I'll just replace all 8 (or 16 so they're all new). I put the jumper back since I removed the extra RAM and all was fine.

I really want something to boot on here though before replacing the RAM. I guess it may be something else stopping that bank from working too.

Send me a PM and we can work something out if you're able to make a DOS floppy for me, please!

Edited by Dopy25