IGNORED

PicoPAC a Pico "purple" porting of Videopac microSDcard

After designed flashcart for several consoles, now i finally build one for the "first" console of my life, the Videopac:

https://github.com/aotta/PicoPAC

It's a fork of the wilco2009 Videopac microSD cart, and I tested only on a G7400 since now, and it has some limitation for the gamelist (it's hardcoded in program, so files uploaded in flash must have the same naming convention).

But it works pretty well and it's cheap to build!

picopac3.jpg.35845aefd330969ae697b18d017211ea.jpgpicopac6.jpg.8674a51643c187a91e68dfb853810f6b.jpgpicopac2.jpg.a7aacc19ed60101d9ed94392b9700b3e.jpgpicopac8.jpg.a75ca998a31cca618115f43a1eef2942.jpg

Edited by aotta
  • Like 6

Cool.

I haven't built one of these, so I could be wrong... it looks like the game list is fixed, and you need ROM file names that match the list?

I'm guessing you could add a homebrew game by naming it as one that's in the list? The problem, then, is that you wouldn't be able to play the game you're replacing. Maybe not a big problem, unless you really need all the games.

If I'm getting this correct, it might be good to add a few pages of games to the list, with name something like HB-01.BIN, HB-02.BIN, etc., to allow additional games to be added beyond the original list.

Yes the fixed list is not so smart, I recycled the menu code from wilco2009's since I'm not good in programming videopac games and this way i had to do only minor changes to 8048 assembly source. I'll work for a reading files in flash for filling menu in next weeks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aotta said:

Yes the fixed list is not so smart, I recycled the menu code from wilco2009's since I'm not good in programming videopac games and this way i had to do only minor changes to 8048 assembly source. I'll work for a reading files in flash for filling menu in next weeks

That'd be cool, but at least it works in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It works well on my NA Odyssey2. I need to be patient, though, waiting a few seconds for things to happen, before pressing the reset button on the console.

Example:

• Console on
  • Console reset
  • Wait for menu
  • Select game
  • Wait about 3 seconds
  • Console reset
  • Play game
  • Cartridge reset when done
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the hole is not perfectly centered for Videopac holes too, and part of the tracks are exposed, i moved a bit the tracks and reuploaded the gerber and kicad files, while working on the 3d shell design.

I also inform all that new FW v. 1.0a now read filenames from flash, so you can change the bin filename how you prefer, with the same limit of 200 files, in root only.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aotta said:

Yes, the hole is not perfectly centered for Videopac holes too, and part of the tracks are exposed, i moved a bit the tracks and reuploaded the gerber and kicad files, while working on the 3d shell design.

I also inform all that new FW v. 1.0a now read filenames from flash, so you can change the bin filename how you prefer, with the same limit of 200 files, in root only.

Awesome! Good job, Aotta!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cdoty said:

I think we're in the golden age of flash carts, even for relatively obscure systems.

I've build the SG-1000/SC-3000, Intellivision, and Colecovision ones. I still need to build the Odyssey 2/Videopac one.

The obscure system you mentioned is the Fairchild one, i suppose? 😂