IGNORED

Getting a Centronics printer interface up and running

Wondering- what is the easiest way in this day and age to interface an 8-bit to a Centronics printer, in the absence of an 850?

Are such interfaces still being manufactured (I understand that some 1050 enhancements optionally included a Centronics interface, but I'm not sure that's still the case)?

If not, what's the best (and cheapest) 2nd-hand or DIY route to go down?

3 minutes ago, drpeter said:

Wondering- what is the easiest way in this day and age to interface an 8-bit to a Centronics printer, in the absence of an 850?

Are such interfaces still being manufactured (I understand that some 1050 enhancements optionally included a Centronics interface, but I'm not sure that's still the case)?

Get one in the ABBUC-Shop for 10€.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drpeter said:

Joystick port interface if you want a DIY solution :)

Did it for my 800 using ports 3 & 4, converted to ports 1 & 2 for my 130XE

I found the code for the 800, this was an early version, it has the Cassette boot routine at the end

to write it out to a bootable tape.

I believe it only uses 7 bits of data, so purely ASCII text, from memory I believe the interface was merely

2 buffer chips (7404 I think).

I used this for many years until I make one for the 130XE using the parallel bus and extended port (this device also had a serial interface)

Tis one's not for the faint hearted :)

IMG_20190225_142219.jpg

• Like 3

BITD I made a #2,3,4 joystick port to centronics cable for 8-bit graphics data on an Epson printer. No intermediate circuit required, but a custom P: driver was needed. I'll post details if there's interest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ClausB said:

No intermediate circuit required, but a custom P: driver was needed.

I used a buffer because of PORTB only being able to have a single TTL load and will not go above 2.4V in a HIGH state,

so I used the 7404 to ensure it would work with any printer.

This was my driver, for the 800 I think it was the first MAC/65 program I wrote in anger :)

The driver for the 130XE interface moved the OS to RAM, then overwrote the OS printer driver with my driver

CENT800.txt

• Like 3

While Graphix AT is cool will all those dip switches,  it seems to me that SIO to printer (centronics) interfaces were very generic, and there were plenty of designs and brands (as opposed to serial rs233 adapters).

You probably can buy the cheap one you can get by searching "Atari printer interface" and will almost certainly work okay.

3 hours ago, ClausB said:

To see what's inside!

Take a look at the online manual, which includes instructions (with pictures) for how to modify the circuit board to be powered from the printer in the case of use with a 1200XL.

1 hour ago, drpeter said:

Take a look at the online manual, which includes instructions (with pictures) for how to modify the circuit board to be powered from the printer in the case of use with a 1200XL.

Information is limited, though. I wouldn't mind knowing what chip is used, so I could add the info on my site: Xetec Graphix AT

graphixat.thumb.png.4f8542148805bb2a417c93981b204c38.png

• Like 2