IGNORED

vdm99 - Which version of Windows is required?

I downloaded vdm99 from nouspikel.com. I tried to run the VDM99.EXE file on the PC. It closed itself after a few seconds. Not surprising, and the manual warns about that and suggests some remedies. But no luck. The test was done on a Win 10 installation. Considering that the program is about 15 years old, it is no wonder, if it does not run on Win 10. I can see from a search that some are using it with old style XP installations with mixed results. I have an old Pentium 3 somewhere running that version that may or may not work these days. But I would prefer something a little more recent. Is it known to run under Windows 7? I also have an old HP portable running Win 7 with an expansion box, that includes a serial port, and I have ordered a suitable serial cable.

What I am looking for is a way to transfer programs between the Classic99 emulator and a TI99/4A with a PEB including an RS232 card - or any other practical solution. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, jschultzpedersen said:

I downloaded vdm99 from nouspikel.com. I tried to run the VDM99.EXE file on the PC. It closed itself after a few seconds. Not surprising, and the manual warns about that and suggests some remedies. But no luck. The test was done on a Win 10 installation. Considering that the program is about 15 years old, it is no wonder, if it does not run on Win 10. I can see from a search that some are using it with old style XP installations with mixed results. I have an old Pentium 3 somewhere running that version that may or may not work these days. But I would prefer something a little more recent. Is it known to run under Windows 7? I also have an old HP portable running Win 7 with an expansion box, that includes a serial port, and I have ordered a suitable serial cable.

What I am looking for is a way to transfer programs between the Classic99 emulator and a TI99/4A with a PEB including an RS232 card - or any other practical solution. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Possibly this? https://hexbus.com/ti99geek/Projects/ti99hdx/ti99hdx_server.html#ti99hdx

You need to have on your PC the ti99hdx server running and on the ti99 the cfhdxs1 program.

Hopefully, you have either s finalgrom99 or flashrom to get the cfhdxs1 over to your ti99 then you can just launch it and transfer files back and forth.

See the TI-99 geek page link in the previous post for more information.

If you don't have one if those cartridges there a way you can file send a loader. But it's a bit more complex to get it over to the ti99.

CfHdxS1 is a file / program manager special for the nanoPEB card and is derived from Diskmanager 2000. The main feature of CfHdxS1 is that it can communicate with the Ti99Hdx server over the serial port so that in an easy way files can be copied to and from the nanoPEB's CompactFlash card.

It is also possible to use the CfHdxS1 program with the Texas Instruments RS232 interface PHP1220. In this case the RS232/1 serial port is used to communicate with the Ti99Hdx server.

• Like 1

I managed to get a version of cfhdxs1-cfhdxs4 to a .bin file using Module creator 2.0, and it runs on the TI99 from my finalgrom99. I also have the ti99hdx program running on the PC. So now I am just waiting for the serial cable and some configuration work.

Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jschultzpedersen said:

I managed to get a version of cfhdxs1-cfhdxs4 to a .bin file using Module creator 2.0, and it runs on the TI99 from my finalgrom99. I also have the ti99hdx program running on the PC. So now I am just waiting for the serial cable and some configuration work.

Thanks for the advice.

For the serial cable. To go from a PC to a Ti99 you just need a straight through one. I used a 25 foot 9 pin cable and then at the ti side a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter and it works perfectly,

Null modem or crossover cables do not work, due to the way the original ti99 rs232 card is designed.

So just get a normal cable with all 9 wires in it and adapter at one end to go to 25 pins and you will be good to go.

• Like 1

Yes. I ordered a 9 pin female (for the PC) to 25 pin male for TI99), and I dug up some old 9 to 25 pin converters either way from my pile of old cables and adapters just in case. Now I will dedicate my old HP8740w portable PC as a server. It is an absolutely massive portable weighing in at several kilos, even without a docking station, and only useful if connected to a mains supply because the battery can only keep it running for little more than an hour. But on the plus side it has far more connectors that usual for a portable, a remarkable good display, a full speed processor and a very good keyboard. It was a monster in its time. So it deserves to come down from the shelves 😀.

• Like 1

Hi

I am kind of stuck with this.

I have a PC (Windows 7) with version 2 of the hdx program installed. I have configured it to use COM 5 (where my USB to RS232 adapter is connected). I have defined a directory for files and one for images. The program starts and reports a setup with 38400 b on COM 5. It also says... TI99Hdx started, and it reports the directory where I have told it my files are stored. So far, so good.

When I start the client on the TI99, I expect it to show a message on the PC side... something like ... initialized... or something. The client side should send this at startup, as I understand it. This does not happen.

I can use the program on the client (TI99) to read contents of a disk in my PEB. I can see that the light for the RS232 card is alight all the time (except during disk activity). So the program appears to talk to the port.

There is some talk about an upgraded RS232 card and a DSR driver for HDX. As I understand it the DSR is part of the HDX program and loaded when it starts. But what is meant by an upgraded RS232?

I suspect the issue is the connection. Is there a simple way to test the RS232 port on the TI99? I have not used it before. So it might be bad.

What client are you using on the ti99.

When you type in HDX1. And press enter

What happens? any messages either on the ti or on your PC?

What cable are you using? Check to make sure the wires go straight through, no cross over. Are you using a TI RS232 in the PEB? Or another type?

1 hour ago, jschultzpedersen said:

Hi

I am kind of stuck with this.

I have a PC (Windows 7) with version 2 of the hdx program installed. I have configured it to use COM 5 (where my USB to RS232 adapter is connected). I have defined a directory for files and one for images. The program starts and reports a setup with 38400 b on COM 5. It also says... TI99Hdx started, and it reports the directory where I have told it my files are stored. So far, so good.

When I start the client on the TI99, I expect it to show a message on the PC side... something like ... initialized... or something. The client side should send this at startup, as I understand it. This does not happen.

I can use the program on the client (TI99) to read contents of a disk in my PEB. I can see that the light for the RS232 card is alight all the time (except during disk activity). So the program appears to talk to the port.

There is some talk about an upgraded RS232 card and a DSR driver for HDX. As I understand it the DSR is part of the HDX program and loaded when it starts. But what is meant by an upgraded RS232?

I suspect the issue is the connection. Is there a simple way to test the RS232 port on the TI99? I have not used it before. So it might be bad.

Start here https://hexbus.com/ti99geek/Projects/ti99hdx/ti99hdx_server.html#ti99hdx   and     https://hexbus.com/ti99geek/Projects/ti99hdx/ti99hdx.html

I have progressed somewhat. The HDX program on the PC now reports that the CTS and DSR Input are now on. This was not so before. But I have switched the RS232 card with another. The first card may indeed have been faulty.

I have no clue as to the name of the device on the PC side. I have tried to use HDX1 as a destination in an attempt to copy a file from the TI99 to the PC without success. What is the name on the PC side?

The DSK1 name lists files from my diskette station on the TI99 So that works for me. I have also switched to work from the COM 3 port directly and not go through a USB to serial driver on COM 5.

14 hours ago, jschultzpedersen said:

I have tried to use HDX1 as a destination in an attempt to copy a file from the TI99 to the PC without success. What is the name on the PC side?

Have you looked at the help file of Ti99Hdx ?

Most important menu function is: Options -> Communication configuration. Select your COM port. Baudrate is 38400.

image.png.cc7b3b2b820ae15768a53ad1add23f1f.png

If you have selected the wrong COM port then Ti99Hdx will tell you so here

image.png.21f7971392d82d33eafb5edf382b4802.png

and here

image.png.08231f6591200082de3f7bb25abe8aa5.png

Next, if not set already select the directory where your TI99 files are with menu option -> Select TI99 files directory.

image.png.7759a69d78081df19e29d5d90c086d99.png

When you start the program cfhdxs1 then you should see something like this or at least a message "Ti99Hdx Initialized, ..." that there is some kind of communication:

image.png.32736b31e5948b63d3b62963bc25ff87.png

The program cfhdxs1 is using RS232/1 !!

• Like 1

It seems there is no communication. If I use COM3 or COM 4, I get the first three lines, but no initialization messages. With other COM ports, it cannot open the port and shows the error message, that you illustrated. I have selected directories for TIFILES and DSK images. I have tested two RS232 cards. Both with the same result. The Com status window shows DTR/RTS and CTS/DSR selected for COM 3 and DTR/RTS and CTS/DSR/CD selected for COM4. I use a straight RS232 cable with 9 female/25 male connectors that I just bought. I suppose it is possible that the cable is bad, or somehow the HDX DSR is not active. I will see if I have a serial printer among my old printers, so I can test if the cable is ok.

I can see that there has been some recent discussions in 

I Transferred the cfhdxs1 program to the TI99 by converting the four VT files to a 32 K .bin file using Module Creator 2.0. The file was then stored on an SD and used with the FinalGrom99. As I understand it, the DSR is a part of the .bin file and should then be loaded, when I start the program from the FinalGrom99.

The program has version number 11.3a dated 20240801

I have decided in any case to invest in the HDX hardware upgrade for the RS232 card. It will probably take a few weeks before it arrives.

1 hour ago, jschultzpedersen said:

It seems there is no communication. If I use COM3 or COM 4, I get the first three lines, but no initialization messages. With other COM ports, it cannot open the port and shows the error message, that you illustrated. I have selected directories for TIFILES and DSK images. I have tested two RS232 cards. Both with the same result. The Com status window shows DTR/RTS and CTS/DSR selected for COM 3 and DTR/RTS and CTS/DSR/CD selected for COM4. I use a straight RS232 cable with 9 female/25 male connectors that I just bought. I suppose it is possible that the cable is bad, or somehow the HDX DSR is not active. I will see if I have a serial printer among my old printers, so I can test if the cable is ok.

The HDX information on that site also has included the wiring diagrams for RS232 cables. You can look them up and then using a multimeter, determine if your cable is truly wired inside for this?

ti99_rs232_1_and_2_cables.gif

Edited by RickyDean
added content

I have tested the serial cable that I bought. It is wired differently from the drawing for RS232/1 that you provided.  That explains my issues. However, your drawing is also a bit different from the connections listed in the RS232 manual for the card. Is it a custom design? I am a complete noob when it comes to RS232. When pin 2 and three are crossed as on your diagram... Is that what is called a crossed connection? The cable I got has a straight 2-2 and 3-3 connection among other differences.

This used to be my local area network, all with standard RS232 cables, USB cables, normal RS232 TI Cards, all worked fine to transfer files between TI and PC.

@F.G. Kaal Fred's tools are excellent, also look at TIPrint, etc.    https://hexbus.com/ti99geek/   (old website http://www.ti99-geek.nl/)

image.thumb.jpeg.af07b87bb793e95dc5d4edf6e38dde6e.jpeg

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jschultzpedersen said:

I have tested the serial cable that I bought. It is wired differently from the drawing for RS232/1 that you provided.  That explains my issues. However, your drawing is also a bit different from the connections listed in the RS232 manual for the card. Is it a custom design? I am a complete noob when it comes to RS232. When pin 2 and three are crossed as on your diagram... Is that what is called a crossed connection? The cable I got has a straight 2-2 and 3-3 connection among other differences.

This drawing is from @F.G. Kaal's website for the HDX useage. I can't say on the RS232, as it has been many moons since I really delved into the protocol. I was just giving you information pertaining to his design.

On 8/18/2024 at 5:49 PM, jschultzpedersen said:

I use a straight RS232 cable with 9 female/25 male connectors that I just bought.

As you can see in the drawing the connections must be crossed.

The drawing brings the 25 pin RS232 connection of the TI card to a 9 pin PC RS232 connection, I use this (kind of) cable for everything. And yes the TI RS232 card is confusing.

• Like 1

I just use a straight thru RS232 cable to my PC, a 9 pin one with a 9 pin to 25 pin adapter, and I never checked the wiring, but its working perfectly on my TI RS232 Card and going to my PC which I am using a PCI Express card that gives me two serial ports and printer port, instead of a USB to serial adapter, those I never gotten to work right.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00008VF6L

image.thumb.png.57c0baaaa1eac841c22cc798af818206.png

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00066HOWK

image.thumb.png.0cb3f56d6591d400af64eeb96a9050de.png

• Like 1