IGNORED

Pacman++ is now available (finally)

Cheung

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

For what it's worth, you may be the first one to actually trip over the maximum open file count. 🎉🙌

Old BBS programs that used ext. Basic would need to do a call files(6) or higher. Of course the higher numbers reduces amount of free vdp ram. But not all devices use that, tipi and horizon doesn't matter number of open files.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2024 at 6:58 PM, Tursi said:

As for the speedup at level 9... that is a bit weird. I can't see anything in a cursory examination of the program, but just from listening to it, it sort of sounds the same speed as after you get a power pill? (Am I imagining that? Or maybe there's a bug in that check?)

Looks like JS99er does the same thing on level 9, would be interesting to see if hardware does it also. Have an updated release with your suggestions coming up.

Edited by Cheung

Posted (edited)

All, I updated the binaries to only open 3 files at a time and made the changes that @Tursi suggested WRT control keys. I also added a Joystick option that must be set in the CONFIGURE menu. I tested it on Classic99 and JS99er and did what I could to get the Key and Joystick optimized for JS99er (Classic99 doesn't seem to be as finicky WRT controls). I also was able to finally reach level 9 on JS99er (with some extra lives added) and learned that it has the same performance boost starting on level 9. Anyone running on real metal and can reach level 9, please let us know if this is also the case for a physical machine.

YOU WILL NEED TO PLACE THE PMRES.DSK FILE IN ONE OF THE MACHINE'S DISK DRIVES TO PLAY THE GAME. OPTIONALLY,YOU CAN RUN THE 2 PMINSTALL PROGRAMS, IN ORDER, WHICH WILL CREATE THE RESOURCE FILE ON THE DRIVE YOU SELECT.

Also, for those using real TIs, let me know how long it takes to load at the start and in between levels, if you will. a rough estimate is fine, I just want to gauge if the wait is unbearable.

If anyone knows how I can add the updated files to this original/first post in the thread, please let me know, thanks. 

PACMAN++.bin PMINSTALL.bin PMRES.dsk

Edited by Cheung
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheung said:

If anyone knows how I can add the updated files to this original/first post in the thread, please let me know, thanks. 

You have to be a subscriber or the thread has to be in the development subforum.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JohnCG said:

Sorry. I'm running on a TI console with a CF7+.

I also see that it's not displaying the levels on the right side display. Not sure what could be causing this, I can try updating again to not use disk # above 3 as someone has said that's not permitted for compiled programs. Did you run the PMINSTALL programs or just use the provided resource file?

Do all the intro screens work properly (Configure, Instructions, Score's, Splash)?

I'm assuming this problem always occurs?

Edited by Cheung

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OX. said:

Is there a way to wrap the game up in a single cart or disk image?

I tried to put the PMINSTALL programs and game on a single cartridge image but the utility I was using won't allow more than 4 banks to be used.

I *could* include the game object file in the DSK and that would allow you to load it from the same DSK image

Edited by Cheung
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mizapf said:

This is how the start screen looks in MAME. Also, the power pills look somewhat disturbed; initially they are round, but once they blink, they change between empty and some undefined shape.

Weird. I'll try updating to use only up to #3 for the open files. If that's not corrupting the data somehow, I don't know what else it could be. Does this have 32K expansion? Did you try running it on real hardware yet?

Edited by Cheung

8 minutes ago, JohnCG said:

Hello. I just tried it again using my PEB. The numbers in the maze blocks Pacman but the ghosts can pass through. I used the install files.

Yeah it makes sense that Pacman is blocked but the ghosts pass through since Pacman's movement checks what character is in front of it but the ghosts just run on routes. But the problem is those extra characters on the screen. I'm updating the program (again) to use file numbers of #3 and less and I did find one issue in the XB where there's a missing space between INPUT and the # in INPUT#3:A$ which compiles fine and seems to run fine on everything else but you never know if this somehow screwed things up.

59 minutes ago, Cheung said:

Weird. I'll try updating to use only up to #3 for the open files. If that's not corrupting the data somehow, I don't know what else it could be. Does this have 32K expansion? Did you try running it on real hardware yet?

I don't have a real TI-99/4A to test, just a Geneve.

However, I noticed that the problem again relates to the choice of the disk controller. With the DDCC-1 (which I also have as real hardware), I do not see a "LOADING..." text, and the result is already broken in CPU memory after loading.

With the HFDC, the BwG, or the Corcomp, the output is OK. Again, interesting, since the controllers should behave the same on the DSR level.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mizapf said:

However, I noticed that the problem again relates to the choice of the disk controller. With the DDCC-1 (which I also have as real hardware), I do not see a "LOADING..." text, and the result is already broken in CPU memory after loading.

I've updated the code to not use file # above 3 and recompiled all three executables. I also updated the RMRES.dsk file to include the compiled object file as well as the PM-X and PM-E files.

PACMAN++.bin PMINSTALL.bin PMRES.dsk

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JohnCG said:

Just tried your new Pacman. The first screen worked fine. The second screen had a glitch. The over sized dot could not be harvested.

Updated files can be found here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/370835-pacman-is-now-available-finally/page/2/#comment-5515940

Let me know how long it takes to load in the beginning between mazes. A video of it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Cheung

57 minutes ago, Cheung said:

I've updated the code to not use file # above 3 and recompiled all three executables. I also updated the RMRES.dsk file to include the compiled object file as well as the PM-X and PM-E files.

Yes, that seems to solve it. The power pills are also OK now.

One thing that I noticed: When the ghosts return to their home after being caught, they seem to take somewhat longer ways, in particular when you catch them near the end of the power phase. I once saw one of the ghosts run around and thought it would never return (while the others were already chasing me), but it eventually found its way home.

Edit: Here is the RPK with the latest PACMAN++.bin file.

pacman++.rpk

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Yes, that seems to solve it. The power pills are also OK now.

One thing that I noticed: When the ghosts return to their home after being caught, they seem to take somewhat longer ways, in particular when you catch them near the end of the power phase. I once saw one of the ghosts run around and thought it would never return (while the others were already chasing me), but it eventually found its way home.

Yes, they don't take an optimum path. In order to increase performance, I have the ghosts follow routes as opposed to have some kind of "AI" direct them. I've written Pacman in other languages for the PC using AI directed ghosts, but for the TI I didn't want to take the performance hit of always having to perform at least 2, maybe 3 GCHAR for each ghost every turn to decide where to go. It's quicker to just have it move to a point.

I tried to minimize the route back to Ghost HQ by determining which end of the route it's closer to (it's circular and ends where it begins) and then go to either the end or beginning depending on which had fewer points (not less distance). So often the Ghosts take an inefficient way home. They're paid the same either way, so they don't really care.   

Edited by Cheung
  • Like 1