IGNORED

Tapper and Extension Cable

mac85

I recently picked up Tapper, grip cart. It works fine on the 2600+, unless I’m using the extension cable from Atari. When it is used, the right and down inputs do not work. Up, left, and fire work fine. Issue happens on both CX30 and CX30+ joysticks, and the issue is not present on legacy hardware or on other games on the 2600+. Is this a known issue?

On 8/14/2024 at 3:59 AM, mac85 said:

I recently picked up Tapper, grip cart. It works fine on the 2600+, unless I’m using the extension cable from Atari. When it is used, the right and down inputs do not work. Up, left, and fire work fine. Issue happens on both CX30 and CX30+ joysticks, and the issue is not present on legacy hardware or on other games on the 2600+. Is this a known issue?

The 2600+ ports are a bit finicky compared with the old hardware.

Can't remember any issue with Tapper but with some cables I had phantom fire button presses on the 2600+.

The Atari cables are usually ok.

I only have sometimes issues with the Mega7800 adapter behind them and other cables.

Maybe your joysticks make a bad connection to the cable or the cable to your unit?

Could use some spray for better contact🤔

I have TAC2 joysticks which have contact issues and work only with an extension cable...

I admit, what I told does not make much sense if it happens with Tapper only... but if your joystick works with Tapper without the extension cable...

• Like 2

I just had the same issue with Choplifter using a third party extension. Both fire buttons turned the chopper and fired. I’ve used this extension cable since I’ve had my 2600+ without any issues. I only encountered this issue in the 7800 mode. I haven’t noticed any issues with this extension previously. I just think the emulation has to recognize the controller at startup. You can hot swap games but I’m not so sure you can do this with extension or controllers. 

Edited: It’s still happening with Choplifter I can’t use my third party extension cable with Choplifter.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 9:59 PM, mac85 said:

Is Tapper a two player game where it uses two joysticks? If so try plugging the extension into port two and see if you have the same issue.

46 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

The 2600+ ports are a bit finicky compared with the old hardware.

Can't remember any issue with Tapper but with some cables I had phantom fire button presses on the 2600+.

The Atari cables are usually ok.

I only have sometimes issues with the Mega7800 adapter behind them and other cables.

Maybe your joysticks make a bad connection to the cable or the cable to your unit?

Could use some spray for better contact🤔

I have TAC2 joysticks which have contact issues and work only with an extension cable...

I admit, what I told does not make much sense if it happens with Tapper only... but if your joystick works with Tapper without the extension cable...

I agree, doesn’t make much sense at all. I swapped to Pitfall, and it worked fine. I’ll have to try it with a controller in the right-hand port this evening. 

• Like 2

So I have another third party extension cable that I use with my SEGA Genesis adapter and that one works fine. The third party extension cable that’s giving me the issue must be wired different it’s causing an issue with 2 button 7800 games.

It’s best to purchase the Official extension cable from Atari.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

I'm using arcade style joysticks with extension cables on Tapper and have no issues. Got them from BDRetroMods. 

Nobody asked you what build you were on and you didn't say, so make sure you're on the latest experimental firmware. 

Edited by tradyblix

6 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I'm using arcade style joysticks with extension cables on Tapper and have no issues. Got them from BDRetroMods. 

Nobody asked you what build you were on and you didn't say, so make sure you're on the latest experimental firmware. 

I am using 1.1-r6 with the x.03 dumper. I did some experiments, and the issue was on both left and right ports. However, I got some cheap knockoff extension cords, and they work just fine. For some reason, the game just doesn’t like my official extension cord. Very bizarre, but at least I have a solution. 

• Like 2