IGNORED

Some random thoughts on future of the 2600+

r_chase

Hear me out: what if there was an Atari controller that similar in design to the SNES controller? Would that make more games "couch-compliant"?

With that in mind, I think there should be budget model of the 2600+ that is basically a better version of the RetroN 77. Complete with digital ROM support along with the cart dumper thingy.
What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, r_chase said:

Hear me out: what if there was an Atari controller that similar in design to the SNES controller? Would that make more games "couch-compliant"?

With that in mind, I think there should be budget model of the 2600+ that is basically a better version of the RetroN 77. Complete with digital ROM support along with the cart dumper thingy.
What do you guys think?

Two things:

1. The CX-78 controllers already exist and are a ham pad similar to the NES pad. 

2. No. 

• Like 1

@John Stamos Mullet I KNOW the CX-78 controllers exist. I just would like some extra buttons; that way some people would be able to press reset or select from their couch.

Also, why not have the digital ROM support? I should note that not everybody can afford to collect carts. Plus, I really want something that'll fix what the RetroN 77 failed; one of which includes having the latest Stella version out-of-the-box. I'm also keeping in mind that Atari might simply do emulation devices instead of FPGA stuff. It would be nice to have at least a system-on-a-chip 7800 that is similar to Evercade, but again, we should be keeping our expectations low and hold Atari accountable when they cross the line, kinda like how some people got mad that the 400 MINI ended up being a lower quality product.

With all that said, fingers crossed they do even consider a system-on-a-chip type console.

14 minutes ago, r_chase said:

@John Stamos Mullet I KNOW the CX-78 controllers exist. I just would like some extra buttons; that way some people would be able to press reset or select from their couch.

Also, why not have the digital ROM support? I should note that not everybody can afford to collect carts. Plus, I really want something that'll fix what the RetroN 77 failed; one of which includes having the latest Stella version out-of-the-box. I'm also keeping in mind that Atari might simply do emulation devices instead of FPGA stuff. It would be nice to have at least a system-on-a-chip 7800 that is similar to Evercade, but again, we should be keeping our expectations low and hold Atari accountable when they cross the line, kinda like how some people got mad that the 400 MINI ended up being a lower quality product.

With all that said, fingers crossed they do even consider a system-on-a-chip type console.

If you want extra buttons, there are plenty of other consoles that provide more buttons than the 2600. Once you add more, it's no longer a 2600. And there are already multiple devices out there with digital ROM support. How many more do we really need?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, r_chase said:

What do you guys think?

imma be real here and side with r_chase on this one. i do think it'd be nice if we had a more budget friendly 2600+ model, as well as a more modern style DE-9 controller for sofa gaming. also they should make a revised model with real time cartridge interfacing and RGB/SCART out for CRTs, as well as flashcart support, cuz, like they said, not everyone can afford to collect 2600 carts.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

If you want extra buttons, there are plenty of other consoles that provide more buttons than the 2600. Once you add more, it's no longer a 2600. And there are already multiple devices out there with digital ROM support. How many more do we really need?

I do wanna ask though, does the CX78+ work with Princess Rescue or any of the 2600 homebrew games that use 2 buttons on a Genesis controller?

If so then i'd agree to a point but if not then i would think there should be a two button controller that works for those.

2 hours ago, Cardboard76 said:

not everyone can afford to collect 2600 carts.

HARDWARE is made to sell software!  Unless you are a pirate company of course, like AnalogNT or whatever.

PERIOD

Anything CRT, forget it, not happening.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cardboard76 said:

imma be real here and side with r_chase on this one. i do think it'd be nice if we had a more budget friendly 2600+ model, as well as a more modern style DE-9 controller for sofa gaming. also they should make a revised model with real time cartridge interfacing and RGB/SCART out for CRTs, as well as flashcart support, cuz, like they said, not everyone can afford to collect 2600 carts.

I feel like if there will be a budget model i think it would be a different version of the current model, put in an SD card slot and perhaps make it styled like the junior and that would be pretty good already.

Also i feel like the improved model should be like SoC, i'd say FPGA but honestly thats probably overkill considering that expense but perhaps it could have both a SoC and the original enulation system somehow? Not sure

I think it will all depend on the next few holidays and if people are willing to buy into it.

Also on the controller things, i do kinda think two is fine enough, however some games like Robotron 2084 use Twin Sticks, so it would be nice if at the very least atari had a Twin Stick controller, or hell Twin D-Pads! because if anything i do think i'd wanna see some kind of odd Sega Collab to make a BIG3+ controller, 3 buttons and start feels good for arcade.

But maybe thats overcomplicating things.

• Like 2

I am kind of wondering how possible making some derrivative SoC based on the Flashback II would even be, if even possible, i'm really happy with the current emulation system but if there ever was a "luxury edition" perhaps maybe modeled after the 7800 for the irony purposes that it could be possible to make something that is even closer to the actual 2600/7800 hardware, i dont know the ins and outs of it but it the 2600+ is big enough, that could be an interesting idea...

Or the VIC-20... /ref

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cardboard76 said:

Think about what you’re asking for.

”I want it to be more budget friendly.”

”I want it to have more features.”

those two requests aren’t compatible. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Cardboard76 said:

as well as a more modern style DE-9 controller for sofa gaming.

Back in the day there was no such thing as sofa gaming! Not only did we have to get off the sofa to put the game in or use the select game or reset, we also so had to get off the sofa to turn on the TV and turn the volume up and down! And even change the channel! 😆 And adjust the rabbit ear antennas! 😆 By the time we got all set up it was time for bed!😆 

All kidding aside get yourself a 10 ft power cord and HDMI cable, set the 2600+ on a small table in front of you so you can access the console 

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Cardboard76 said:

You should than consider gamestation pro. It allows you to play roms from your couch. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mahtandakil said:

If there is giong to be a revision, I prefer a 2600/7800 hdmi version based on hardware instead  of software to avoid the compatibility issues. And wireless pads.

Unfortunately, I flat-out agree with CPUWIZ on this one; while I do wish that they make an SoC 7800 (which they'll likely do in the future, but don't expect it to be too soon.) as well, it's less likely to be up to some people's standards.

Hell, they're more likely to just have a better emulation device...or better yet, a hardware revision of the 2600+ With that said, maybe a good compromise for some of us would be better compatibility with multicarts and stuff like that since not everyone will have a massive cart collection in their lifetime, but we'll see in the holiday season.

18 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

I feel like if there will be a budget model i think it would be a different version of the current model, put in an SD card slot and perhaps make it styled like the junior and that would be pretty good already.

Also i feel like the improved model should be like SoC, i'd say FPGA but honestly thats probably overkill considering that expense but perhaps it could have both a SoC and the original enulation system somehow? Not sure

I think it will all depend on the next few holidays and if people are willing to buy into it.

Also on the controller things, i do kinda think two is fine enough, however some games like Robotron 2084 use Twin Sticks, so it would be nice if at the very least atari had a Twin Stick controller, or hell Twin D-Pads! because if anything i do think i'd wanna see some kind of odd Sega Collab to make a BIG3+ controller, 3 buttons and start feels good for arcade.

But maybe thats overcomplicating things.

I agree, would be cool if Atari released a twin stick controller for games like Robotron 2084 etc..

3 hours ago, r_chase said:

Unfortunately, I flat-out agree with CPUWIZ on this one; while I do wish that they make an SoC 7800 (which they'll likely do in the future, but don't expect it to be too soon.) as well, it's less likely to be up to some people's standards.

Hell, they're more likely to just have a better emulation device...or better yet, a hardware revision of the 2600+ With that said, maybe a good compromise for some of us would be better compatibility with multicarts and stuff like that since not everyone will have a massive cart collection in their lifetime, but we'll see in the holiday season.

yeah i'd think so, even if i say i would like to see SoC, i am very happy with the standard system, it may not be perfect but it's the best we've seen in the sea of Genesis Firecores and Famiclones.

it was the kind of thing i kinda wanted to see as a kid, i wanted to be able to play the classics in a similar way that people back then did, getting a boxed copy, opening it up and plug and playing the game onto the TV, and with the 2600+ i legit get that with the convenience of being able to plug and play on a modern TV. 

Cant wait for the public updates to be available on Linux!

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

I agree, would be cool if Atari released a twin stick controller for games like Robotron 2084 etc..

NGL i feel like since some people do enjoy the proline in some ways, i'd like to see one thats kind of based on the CX24, but made with durability and comfort in mind, perhaps a visually similar looking stick(s) but a sturdier base for tabletops.

i think i proposed this before but essentially a twin stick 7800/2600 controller for twin sticks and perhaps even flight simulators on the platforms and dub it "The Commander" so it envokes some kind of 80's Top Gun vibes, would be great to robotron with that.

17 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Think about what you’re asking for.

”I want it to be more budget friendly.”

”I want it to have more features.”

those two requests aren’t compatible. 

reading their statement i think they meant they wanted a budget model and seperately a luxury model, so like how Atari had the 2600, 7800 and XEGS.

The budget system for the more casual and possibly younger atari curious players or those wanting to just play a lot of roms on top of a handful of cartridges

the 2600+ for the majority of consumers, those who have nostalgia for the system, wondering what they missed out on or wanting to explore the history of gaming, having an old collection or starting one for the platforms, standard stuff.

and some kind of feature filled luxury option for those who want like "the ultimate 2600 experience in the present day"

Thats what they meant, you might also think this might be a bit far out, and i'm not saying "you obviously ignored what they said cuz u wanna start fights" not at all i had to read it twice to make sure, its easy to not read the intended message.

But it is an interesting idea.

12 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

reading their statement i think they meant they wanted a budget model and seperately a luxury model, so like how Atari had the 2600, 7800 and XEGS.

The budget system for the more casual and possibly younger atari curious players or those wanting to just play a lot of roms on top of a handful of cartridges

the 2600+ for the majority of consumers, those who have nostalgia for the system, wondering what they missed out on or wanting to explore the history of gaming, having an old collection or starting one for the platforms, standard stuff.

and some kind of feature filled luxury option for those who want like "the ultimate 2600 experience in the present day"

Thats what they meant, you might also think this might be a bit far out, and i'm not saying "you obviously ignored what they said cuz u wanna start fights" not at all i had to read it twice to make sure, its easy to not read the intended message.

But it is an interesting idea.

That’s not what they were asking for.

They want it to be cheaper, AND want it to have “more features” - which specifically means they want it to play roms directly without a need for carts.

There are literally dozens of other products already on the market that are made exactly for that - generic rom playing with corny-ass Nintendon’t style cheap gamepads. Just get a flashback, or a Lamestation Pro, or a Raspberry Pi with Retropie. Then you can use a dozen other emulators and all the Roms you like. 

That’s not what the 2600+ is. This product and this sub isn’t a “choose your adventure” book where you get to decide what the product is. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Haha 1

Invoking the title: "Some random thoughts on future of the 2600+" (you have to admit with a title like that it's pretty much open ended)

- Is the 2600+ still selling well?

- Is Atari planning on pushing 2600+ for this X-mas season?

- Is a new official firmware update going to happen (I only ask because it seems to be an ever evolving experimental update that is currently available)?

- Are more multi carts coming soon for the console? If so, how many?

BTW, I know that is not what this topic was about. To be honest, to answer the original question in this topic just look into a Game Station Pro.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

They want it to be cheaper, AND want it to have “more features” - which specifically means they want it to play roms directly without a need for carts.

There are literally dozens of other products already on the market that are made exactly for that - generic rom playing with corny-ass Nintendon’t style cheap gamepads. Just get a flashback, or a Lamestation Pro, or a Raspberry Pi with Retropie. Then you can use a dozen other emulators and all the Roms you like. 

That’s not what the 2600+ is. This product and this sub isn’t a “choose your adventure” book where you get to decide what the product is. 

thats fair, but heres the part from the quote that i think makes the statement clear

i do think it'd be nice if we had a more budget friendly 2600+ model, as well as a more modern style DE-9 controller for sofa gaming. also they should make a revised model with real time cartridge interfacing and RGB/SCART out for CRTs

I think if we re-read this it seems at the very least that the intention was seperate systems

just breaking it down again to show what i mean.

"i do think it'd be nice if we had a more budget friendly 2600+ model"
"also they should make a revised model"

those two parts indicate to me that they mean 2 different, new models for the lineup.

This doesn't mean what you said about the "choose your own adventure" esque descision and speculation here, and parts of that i agree with you on.

i do agree how that 1 statement is about the 2600+ and these hypothetical systems is rom support, personally i think for the 2600+ perhaps a multicart dip-switch solution to hold 10 or so games on a cart VIA sd card, and you could arrange your "mix cart" on your computer and such, it's a novelty thing to suggest, but then again i think even without these fan interactions, i do think we'd lack a lot of social cohesion.

but outside of Rom Support i think they wanted two different hypothetical systems, with the only thing all 3 would have in common would be Rom Support.

4 minutes ago, pboland said:

Invoking the title: "Some random thoughts on future of the 2600+" (you have to admit with a title like that it's pretty much open ended)

- Is the 2600+ still selling well?

- Is Atari planning on pushing 2600+ for this X-mas season?

- Is a new official firmware update going to happen (I only ask because it seems to be an ever evolving experimental update that is currently available)?

- Are more multi carts coming soon for the console? If so, how many?

BTW, I know that is not what this topic was about. To be honest, to answer the original question in this topic just look into a Game Station Pro.

i kinda hope they try to push for holidays, and at least more platforms could natively host the experimental updates later in the months, this is an interesting thread no doubt.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Was all that necessary? Especially the "Nintendon't" comment? Yes, in my defense, I do prefer gamepads over joysticks, but you're basically making the same comment as that out-of-touch Microsoft executive who practically said, "if you don't like Kinect being mandatory, just get an Xbox 360." Yeah, that's right. I remember that. It wasn't just a meme, it actually happened.

Just to clarify: I would love to have something better than the GameStation Pro anyhow...and I'll be honest, iirc RetroPie hasn't been updated in eons. I would rather use Lakka or Batocera tbh.

Edited by r_chase
Adding more to my statement.
  • Like 1