IGNORED

[Silly Venture 2024SE] - Fruit'Y for Atari Lynx by Retroguru

Nop90

First place at SV2024SE in the Lynx Game compo. Well, there where only two entries, both coded by me, but the game received a good score, so why not to be happy 😀.

No need to tell too much about the game, it's already available for a lot of systems and you can read about it here: https://www.retroguru.com/fruity/

The game will be available on the Retroguru web page in few days and that version will be updated if there will be any bug fix, meanwhile find the compo rom attached.

This game could be published on a phisicak cart for the end of 2024 or the start of 2025. Stary tuned for updates.

image.thumb.png.81e7a2a6b46195344cfe95f5c96248d2.png image.thumb.png.7ee96e9d3831b2191ce830863f50f2c4.png

image.thumb.png.455028180ec87f656a0f37de8a1dc2fd.png image.thumb.png.7888fb715eab3869fe6731b5e1c23fe9.png

image.thumb.png.7872a0649a33f6671d193c907e5a75ff.png

Credits:

Code: Gisberto Rondinella (Nop90)

Msx conversion: Michal Szpilowski (Miker)

Gfx conversion: the great Jonathan Dodd (Dulcahn)

Project supervisor: Shahzad Sahaib (Kojote)

fruity.lnx

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Fruit'Y on today's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 42bs said:

I think, there is no need for the grid as the cursor can only move on the grid. I even would remove the background picture or at least have it less brighter.

I played the game because I'm one of the people who actually loved this grid-based puzzle game and I played more than I should on Ynxa Puzzle for instance.

Now readon I'm quoting 42bs here is that I have the exact same problem than him with this version of fruity : The grid is not nencessary and clutter the vision. Similarly the palette of background image could be tune down to give more focus on the fruits. Those are minor change but would greatly improve the experience with the game. Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@42bs and @LordKraken thank you for your feedback.

I'm discussing them with the team, I made a version of the game without the grids and we are evaluating it testing all the levels.

Here are two screenshots:

image.png.2625c861f1cc0b521ac54f7545ebf84f.png image.png.58248e27e405c3b82cd586a501454a90.png

About changing the colors of the background it's not so simple, with only 16 colors available some colors are shared by the frame and the fruits tiles, so achieving a good result changing only some colors is not so simple, but we are trying.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nop90 said:

@42bs and @LordKraken thank you for your feedback.

I'm discussing them with the team, I made a version of the game without the grids and we are evaluating it testing all the levels.

Here are two screenshots:

image.png.2625c861f1cc0b521ac54f7545ebf84f.png image.png.58248e27e405c3b82cd586a501454a90.png

About changing the colors of the background it's not so simple, with only 16 colors available some colors are shared by the frame and the fruits tiles, so achieving a good result changing only some colors is not so simple, but we are trying.

I'd make the cursor bright white. The red cursor is hard to see.

image.png.7e8f49f6bdc3d5769581110666bd045b.png

Edited by 42bs

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

I'd make the cursor bright white. The red cursor is hard to see.

The cursor is animated and during the game it is more visible, but I agree that using brighter colors could help visibility.

I don't like it all white, adding some more white pixels should be enough. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

I feel that removing the grid makes the visuals so much nicer. The grid was a bit too much. Now only little issue to fix imo is the items visibiity. What about having a black background around the item and the items only?

Right, make the boundary of the fruits black, not that brownish. Real black is not part of the background picture. So you get a strong contrast.

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

Right, make the boundary of the fruits black, not that brownish. Real black is not part of the background picture. So you get a strong contrast.

Black isn't in the palette. I'm trying to change the palette a little to add black and use it for the fruits border.

For the grid probably I'll add the opption of switching it on/off using opt2, there are people requesting to leave it.