IGNORED

Dracuvania WIP (Mini Castlevania Port)

alfredtdk

An attempt to bring Castlevania to the Atari 2600. I know it's a lot of sand for Atari's little truck, but who knows by reducing several elements of the classic, making adaptations, this could become possible

A demo in development of the first Castlevania with a custom menu that separates two roms with different progressions.
In the first binary of the menu you must select the word PUSH, in this first binary Simon's movements are automatic and there are no jumps, however he interacts a little with the whip, try taking the whip close to the castle gate to see what happens. The castle is smaller.
In the second binary you must select the word START, in this binary Simon does not have automatic movements, instead he jumps and has some sound effects, the whip stretches and retracts by pressing up and down. Life and health bars are activated. The castle is bigger.

The flames on the pedestals cannot yet be extinguished to collect inventory items.

All control functions, including the fire button, are used in this first test.

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC).png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC)_2.png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC).bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alfredtdk said:

An attempt to bring Castlevania to the Atari 2600. I know it's a lot of sand for Atari's little truck, but who knows by reducing several elements of the classic, making adaptations, this could become possible

A demo demake in development of the first Castlevania with a personalized menu that separates two roms with different progressions.
In the first binary on the menu you must select the word PUSH, in this first binary Simon's movements are automatic and there is no jump, however he interacts a little with the whip, try taking the whip close to the castle gate to see what happens . The castle is smaller.
The second binary you must select the word START, in this binary Simon does not have automatic movements, instead he jumps and has some sound effects, the whip stretches and retracts by pressing up and down. The life and health bars are activated. The castle is bigger.

The flames on the pedestals cannot yet be extinguished to collect inventory items.

Dracuvania WIP (PAL).png

Dracuvania WIP (PAL)_2.png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC)_4.png

Dracuvania WIP (PAL)_4.png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC).bin 16 kB · 0 downloads Dracuvania WIP (PAL).bin 16 kB · 0 downloads

Dracuvania WIP (PAL).png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC)_1.png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC)_3.png

Dracuvania WIP (PAL)_1.png

Dracuvania WIP (PAL)_2.png

Dracuvania WIP (PAL)_3.png

Dracuvania WIP (NTSC).bin 16 kB · 0 downloads Dracuvania WIP (PAL).bin 16 kB · 0 downloads

Wow! If this is completed, it could be prettaay, prettaay, prettaay cool.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow! If this is completed, it could be prettaay, prettaay, prettaay cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I hope so.
I believe that everything is a matter of adapting to hardware as limited as the Atari 2600.
We have notable examples of what can be done, Princess Rescue (Mario), Zippy (Sonic) or the incredible Xanthion (Metroid), among others.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Sweet!

You might want to consider 2 button (SEGA Genesis controller) compatibility.

Yes, I think this support for SEGA Genesis controls is a good alternative to overcome the difficulties of dealing with just one button on the Atari, completely valid for the original Castlevania which was designed for the two buttons (A/B) on the NES.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Updated Simon's sprite when using the whip, with little left for both to work in sync. Remembering that to extend the whip press upwards and to retract the whip press downwards. Castle and pedestals with a new color palette. Raw version, without menu. Have fun.

Dracuvania_SK.bas_1.png

Dracuvania_SK.bas.bin

Dracuvania_SK_PAL.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Does it mean you have abandoned your other projects, the GnG clone and the Jet Set Willy port? Or are you working on several of them at the same time?

No, not at all. I have a special affection for each project I start.
These are personal projects and I dedicate myself to them when I have free time in my commitments. If they will all be completed one day, I can't say for sure, because we don't know what tomorrow will be, right? If it's up to me, they will be completed. 
This also does not mean that this will happen this year or next, as there are no established deadlines. I see projects that have been developing for months, years or decades. Will I follow this same path of thought? The truth is that there is no answer to this.
A thousand projects are buzzing in my head that could or could come to fruition.
I'm a fan of Atari, NES, SEGA Master System and Genesis and I would really like to see some of these classics being ported in a decent way to the Atari 2600 or Atari classics being revamped, like Moon Patrol.
You can expect other projects to come to light such as Kenseinden, Alex Kidd, R-Type, a sequel to Jungle Hunt, now starring the hunter's son, in a completely new jungle adventure.
These are just a few examples that I reveal now.

In fact, I was waiting for someone to raise this issue. I was very happy that you asked me about this.

I hope I have resolved your doubts. Hugs

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The throwing of daggers

Here in this new compilation of the source code, the whip can function as the dagger to be thrown, simply by separating both functions later, such as assigning the hearts the function of filling the health bar, which also works as a limited number of daggers to be thrown until the bar is empty, and again you will fill the health bar with hearts to be collected that will be hidden in pedestals or chandeliers inside the castle.

Dracuvania_Dagger.bas_3.png

Dracuvania_Dagger_PAL.bas_3.png

Captura de tela em 2024-08-20 23-51-36.png

Dracuvania_Dagger.bas.bin Dracuvania_Dagger_PAL.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2