IGNORED

Is the 2600+ a worthy investment if I already own a regular 2600?

PlutoniumPasta

I've been eyeballing the 2600+ for a while now, so far it seems like a really good console. The multicarts are interesting, but the REAL reason I want to get a 2600+ is because of the new carts like Mr. Run and Jump. The 7800 compatibility is also a really nice touch since I've considered getting a 7800 for a while now. Are any of the 2600+ carts compatible on a standard 4-switch 2600?

They all are AFAIK. although since my 2600 is no longer compatible with TVs I own, I haven't checked, I only use the 2600+ exclusively. 

The main reason to get the 2600+ if you already have a 2600 and a CRT TV is to play your existing cart collection with crisp HDMI output on a modern TV. 

• Like 1

The 2600+ is worth getting regardless. It's a suitable substitute for the 7800 and the HDMI is beautifully clear. @Albert and other users have put in a lot of time and effort to make it better and are continuing to do so. While there are compatibility issues, they are few and far between and the tradeoff is that you are gaining more stability and longevity from a newer system. I have most every atari 8-bit console and I play my 2600+ a lot of the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlutoniumPasta said:

I've been eyeballing the 2600+ for a while now, so far it seems like a really good console. The multicarts are interesting, but the REAL reason I want to get a 2600+ is because of the new carts like Mr. Run and Jump. The 7800 compatibility is also a really nice touch since I've considered getting a 7800 for a while now. Are any of the 2600+ carts compatible on a standard 4-switch 2600?

Yes, its effectively an emulation box, theoretically whatever can run on 2600 can be emulated on 2600+, its worth getting for the whole retro revival.

We might get more 2600 and 7800 games if this goes well and that benefits everybody :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I bought a cart recently that the seller told me "this only works on a 2600+, not a 2600" which I am skeptical about. 

I don't think there is any such thing, or I don't know what cart that would be.  Obviously 7800 carts need a 7800 or 2600+.  I think Atari wants to sell new carts to people with and without a 2600+, so it isn't actually new platform with exclusives so far.  Although I'm not going to guess what some 3rd party might try to do or say.

• Like 3

Yes, it's a no-brainer really. Compatibility is great and still improving, plus you can play all your Atari carts in HD.

I'm glad I purchased my 2600+. Recently the power switch broke on my original 2600 so you never know when you're original might fail.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I bought a cart recently that the seller told me "this only works on a 2600+, not a 2600" which I am skeptical about. 

If the cart is the re-release of Fatal Run, Food Fight, or Ninja Golf...

image.thumb.png.16fb4bb9f17fa3848295bb9bc1114e27.png

...then they are correct. 

A new (re)released 7800 title DOES work under an original 7800 console or the 2600+, but would NOT run under an original 2600 console. 

Any newly released games "for the 2600+" will be compatible with an original 7800 or/and 2600.

If anyone is claiming a cart works on the 2600+, then it also either works under a 2600 and 7800 as well, or just a 7800.  There is no such thing as an exclusive 2600+ title, as the 2600+ runs a variant of the 2600 emulator Stella and a variant of the 7800 emulator ProSystem along with a proprietary cartridge dumper. 

• Like 5

For the OP - I don't think it is a good "investment."  Of course it depends on what you mean by investment, but I don't see the device substantially increasing in value.

For me - I didn't buy one.  I have tons of 2600/7800 stuff including multiple machines, so I can play the carts.  If I want to play 2600 games in emulation, I have been able to do that for years on the computer(s) I already own.

On the other hand, I don't really consider 130 USD to be THAT expensive considering it comes with a brand new joystick and a 10in1 game.  It just doesn't make sense for me to add more hardware to my personal collection.

Go for it!

I wasn't sure at the beginning, as the compatibility for PAL games on V1.0 wasn't good but on V1.1x-r6 99% of my original games run and it gets better every day.

I have had so many original machines, many with AV mod but started to sell. Will keep a single 7800 and a single Jr in the end, as currently Trakball and Atarivox don't work on the 2600+ but updates still coming.

Many Champ games do not work, be aware of this.

Via this forum you get such a great support.

You have a non working cart? Deliver some debug info and chances are high that they fix it.

To buy the machine was the best decission 🤗 

You can easily carry it to friends and hook it up to any TV in a minute. And once you get used to the crisp video output, you don't even like your old console with video mod and Retrotink5x or even CRT anymore, at least I did😉

Edit: Forgot the best part:

It plays PAL and NTSC carts on one machine!

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Yes, it's a no-brainer really. Compatibility is great and still improving, plus you can play all your Atari carts in HD.

I'm glad I purchased my 2600+.

Wow, the 2600+ seems to have really good compatibility with 2600 and 7800 games. It's also good to hear the console is receiving compatibility support and updates from Atari and AtariAge members.

The improved controllers seem nice as well since all my original 2600 controllers have bit the dust. I have some new third party 2600 controllers but they don't feel very high quality and I miss the feel of the original controllers. My paddles also need to be cleaned every once and a while or else they get too jittery.

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

Recently the power switch broke on my original 2600 so you never know when you're original might fail.

This was also something that made me consider buying a 2600+. I don't know what my 2600 has been through throughout the years or how much life is left in it. I take good care of my 2600, it's clean and well kept, but I still cant guarantee its lifespan. So having a console with a bit less age on it like the 2600+ is nice.

The 7800 re-releases are good too since I can get the carts in-box without paying extra like I would on eBay for a regular 7800 game.

• Like 2

I bought one for the hell of it. I have a few other minis, 400, A500, C64, NES, & SNES. I plan to put them all on a little tiered shelf box-type thing and put an HDMI selector inside. Then this will sit under the TV in my office. I was disappointed that a 24" Dell computer monitor wouldn't sync up to it though...

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

On the other hand, I don't really consider 130 USD to be THAT expensive considering it comes with a brand new joystick and a 10in1 game.

Indeed.  $130 in 2024 is equivalent to $25 in 1977 (Atari 2600 release year), or $45 in 1986 (7800 release year). 

It's actually a fantastic deal, and relatively inexpensive.

To emphasize how relatively inexpensive and to flip the data around a bit, the Atari 2600 was initially $190 in 1977, or $986 in 2024.  The 7800 was initially $160 in 1986, or $459 in 2024.

• Like 5

I enjoy having both a 2600 Plus and an S-Video modified light sixer, it's well worth me having both, especially as a PAL region user. Here's some thoughts...

Light Sixer

This is really nice for my PAL carts, my Harmony Encore cart, 100% compatibility with games, demos and hardware. Great picture via my Retrotink, but remember mine is modified 

However, being a PAL console it's not good for NTSC carts, most NTSC versions are superior, some by a large margin. Yes, there are many good PAL60 hacks, but not all games are available. Thankfully most new games are PAL60.

Picture quality on my console is very very good, but not up to the standard of the Plus. Personally I enjoy both machines, one is super sharp, one is reminiscent of back in the day, but way way better. For me this isn't a down point as my console has an excellent display, but most won't have, at least without some money being spent first... And that could be big money.

2600 Plus

Being compatible with all regions it will display games correctly. Play the best version (usually NTSC) no problem. 

It plays 7800 games, what a nice bonus. Two consoles in one. Bargain!

It is emulation and currently not perfect. Some controllers do not work, some games do not work. The emulation is excellent and I only have a tiny amount of carts out of a large collection which do not work, and it is expected that things will improve. 

It's cheap, cheaper than buying an old console (two actually!), modding, and buying a Retrotink. Even if you own an original console/s the mods and Retrotink or equivalent can still be more than just buying a 2600 Plus. 

Final thoughts 

I'd say a 2600 Plus is a higher value console to PAL land players, but it is still worth it for NTSC country gamers too. I think it's a great little console and I'm hoping that it's a catalyst for more widely available 2600/7800 releases, which benefits everyone, including non 2600 Plus owning original Atari console gamers. 

Edited by JetmanUK

16 hours ago, Trebor said:

Indeed.  $130 in 2024 is equivalent to $25 in 1977 (Atari 2600 release year), or $45 in 1986 (7800 release year). 

It's actually a fantastic deal, and relatively inexpensive.

To emphasize how relatively inexpensive and to flip the data around a bit, the Atari 2600 was initially $190 in 1977, or $986 in 2024.  The 7800 was initially $160 in 1986, or $459 in 2024.

Looks like we had to wait only one day for a new product that I think is an even better deal.

Atari 7800+ Controller Mega Bundle – Atari®

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 9:25 AM, wongojack said:

For the OP - I don't think it is a good "investment."  Of course it depends on what you mean by investment, but I don't see the device substantially increasing in value.

An original VCS/2600 isn't even bringing in 80's MSRP on the collector market... so I'm not certain I'd ever consider a Mini or Replica to have a high ROI. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 10:31 AM, DEANJIMMY said:

Go for it!

I wasn't sure at the beginning, as the compatibility for PAL games on V1.0 wasn't good but on V1.1x-r6 99% of my original games run and it gets better every day.

I have had so many original machines, many with AV mod but started to sell. Will keep a single 7800 and a single Jr in the end, as currently Trakball and Atarivox don't work on the 2600+ but updates still coming.

Many Champ games do not work, be aware of this.

Via this forum you get such a great support.

You have a non working cart? Deliver some debug info and chances are high that they fix it.

To buy the machine was the best decission 🤗 

You can easily carry it to friends and hook it up to any TV in a minute. And once you get used to the crisp video output, you don't even like your old console with video mod and Retrotink5x or even CRT anymore, at least I did😉

This is the big thing for me. PAL carts can be a lot cheaper or sometimes the only option 

8 hours ago, wongojack said:

Looks like we had to wait only one day for a new product that I think is an even better deal.

Atari 7800+ Controller Mega Bundle – Atari®

If only i wasnt as broke as i was to theoretically push for more titles on the 7800, perhaps maybe stoke some fun discussions on my demake/port thread? Dunno i just desire and crave the future

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Did you seriously just tell me to kill myself because Atari won't let you pirate their games?

It is 1864 Jorge Ornamental that atari will not let me pie rat games from myrient onto an SD Card, Mammalian Barn...

• Confused 1