IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

Very excited for this announcement. Not so much for the 7800+ (though it would be nice if I didn’t have a plethora of vintage hardware already), but because some of Bob D’s greatest hits are getting new life after the AtarAge Store Last Chance sale. I’m definitely picking up Frenzy and Asteroids Deluxe (two I had to omit from my Last Chance order so as to remain under budget). 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I love everything about this, other than these new units can't use a flash cart (Other than DragonFly).  My 7800GD makes me so happy. 🙂

So, I'll probably sell or give away one of my 2600+ units and get one of these, just for the collection.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, MattelAquarius said:

So, I'll probably sell or give away one of my 2600+ units and get one of these, just for the collection.

We have a secret santa coming up. You could make someone's Christmas extra awesome 😎 

I'm giving away a number of nib and cib games this year.

• Like 3

Rarely do I get excited by new announcements but this one struck me by surprise.

Kudos to whomever decided the fat rainbow is the way to go because it IS the way to go. No longer do I have to go hunting down an overpriced PAL version now. 

For the price, a euro styled 7800 and wireless cx78 joypads, there’s very little room to complain about literally anything given how well I know this will turn out. But dedicated RCA outs would have been nice for all of us who prefer to jack these into CRTs, though I suppose cheap adapters exist for that.

Any word on Midnight Mutants and possibly a sweet clear frosted Crystal Castles cart release? 

30 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

So just a 2600+ in a different case? What a weird thing. Any reason to believe homebrew or flashcart compatibility will be improved?

I thought it was more weird to make a 2600 that plays 7800 games but that’s just me. I have no desire for another 2600 but this 7800 has its aesthetic sex appeal that screams: 

Sale Bidding GIF by David

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, famicommander said:

And tomorrow they'll announce 15 new consoles, each even less distinct than the one that preceded it, until all devices on the planet are plastic toys that sort of play Atari games.

Well, that'll give you plenty to piss n' moan about, so congratulations!  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Do we know for sure that this is "just a 2600+ in a 7800 shell?"

I don't mean that as a complaint, but wondering if when one receives some sort of fix/update, will it work for both since it's the same hardware?   Or if there's some differences between the 2, would we end up seeing whichever is most popular get all the updates while the other is left behind?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GaryH917 said:

The 7800 posts on Facebook are still listing BBSB as the pack-in game. Just a heads up 👍.

None of the posts I made say that?  Can you point me to what you're seeing?  I did mention that Bounty Bob Strikes Back is one of the new games released, but I didn't state it was included.. 

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 9.43.00 AM.png

..Al

8 minutes ago, eebuckeye said:

The controller mega bundle says it comes with Bentley Bear - I hope that is the case as I ordered it.

Yes, it would be Bentley Bear, same as the standalone console that includes the wireless CX-78+ and Bentley Bear.  :)

..Al

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, it will! 

..Al

Does that mean that new pokeys are available somewhere? Or do the carts have Hokeys in them but the dumper and emulator just plays the emulated pokey like it does when I use my Ballblazer with its pokey removed, but still plays all audio on the 2600+?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1