IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

At 1 AM EST 8/22/2024, The 7800 Pro Gamer and Funkmaster V dive head first into their thoughts about the upcoming Atari 7800+ that was announced yesterday. The games: Berzerk, Frenzy, Caverns of Mars, Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, the M Network collection, the Epyx Collection, Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, The Realsports Collection, the design, the specs, the rumors, the wireless controllers, and of course- the return of Bob Decresenzo... and his aptly named new game "Bounty Bob Strikes Back"  Join us live for the chat or watch the replay the next day! #atari #atari7800 #retrogaming

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clint Thompson said:

Analogue and affordable simply do not go hand in hand. I do agree that they should do an FPGA version but I gather that’s not in the cards. To offset the Analogue cost issue, there are plenty of talented, capable and most likely willing people here in the AA community that could help develop such a thing for the cause.

Without trying to sound ungrateful for their current efforts because it actually is cool and applause worthy, I do ultimately feel that going the FPGA route is exactly what they should have been doing with any and all of these console/computer re-creations to begin with. Then top off the RAM to technical limits of what the MARIA would have been capable of as well as integrating POKEY into the hardware. This would not only play literally everything that currently exists but also allow a pathway for homebrewers to develop new and boundary pushing games on the very consoles we all love. Would have really solidified the + in that regard. Who knows, maybe that is part of the plan on the current platform and if not, could probably be added by way of a firmware update. 

From a financial standpoint, I realize it makes sense to leverage identically capable hardware for multiple platforms to drive costs down. But given these type of things are capable of generating a million dollars+ in sales, it does deserve the extra care and attention to detail in such a way. Just my opinion though. 

Analogue already has 2600/7800 fpga implementation on their NT Mini/Noir console core store.

There are also Atari cores for Analogue Pocket.

Additionally there is the 2600 core for the Collectorvision Phoenix. Also 2600/5200/7800 fpga cores for MiSTer.

There certainly are fpga options out there, just without direct cartridge loading. But they aren’t exactly revolutionizing the homebrew scene like it had been suggested they would.

Edited by thecavalry
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zoyous said:

How about putting some screenshots of the games on their pages on the Atari website? Currently there are just pictures of the cartridge and front of the box.

While that is a good idea generally from a marketing perspective, at least for Bob’s games besides Bounty Bob, you can also simply download the binaries he has posted elsewhere to play them in emulation or at least see what they look like. Also, many/most of them have had threads about them here at AtariAge when they were under development. There are probably videos of them on YT as well. 

On 8/21/2024 at 9:33 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Fantastic, I look forward to picking one up, for the convenience of HDMI alone. 

They should partner with Analogue to do high-end FPGA versions of these consoles after the run of these accessible/affordable emulation machines is complete. 

Random question:  Does the version of Bently Bear that comes with the console include the upgraded sound chip that would work on the + systems and an original 7800? 

On 8/21/2024 at 9:54 AM, Clint Thompson said:

Analogue and affordable simply do not go hand in hand. I do agree that they should do an FPGA version but I gather that’s not in the cards. To offset the Analogue cost issue, there are plenty of talented, capable and most likely willing people here in the AA community that could help develop such a thing for the cause.

Without trying to sound ungrateful for their current efforts because it actually is cool and applause worthy, I do ultimately feel that going the FPGA route is exactly what they should have been doing with any and all of these console/computer re-creations to begin with. Then top off the RAM to technical limits of what the MARIA would have been capable of as well as integrating POKEY into the hardware. This would not only play literally everything that currently exists but also allow a pathway for homebrewers to develop new and boundary pushing games on the very consoles we all love. Would have really solidified the + in that regard. Who knows, maybe that is part of the plan on the current platform and if not, could probably be added by way of a firmware update. 

From a financial standpoint, I realize it makes sense to leverage identically capable hardware for multiple platforms to drive costs down. But given these type of things are capable of generating a million dollars+ in sales, it does deserve the extra care and attention to detail in such a way. Just my opinion though. 

^These right here!

This is why we need a SUPER LIKE Button!

I would LOVE an FPGA console!  (Even more so if I knew it was designed by Analogue!)

I would also be curious what kind of recreation could be done with:  Off the Shelf parts,  Off the Shelf parts + Custom Chips,  Off the Shelf parts + (some) FPGA,  or any Combo of the above. 

(For example)  Would it be:

Feasible?

Feasible but Expensive?

Nearly Impossible?

Impossible?

Maybe it would be possible with enough Pre-Orders (Even if they're pricey Collector's Items)?

I wish ATARI would look into it;  Really look into it,  even as a loss leader or gesture of goodwill that doesn't turn a big profit,  but gives us fans lots to talk about over here. :)

• Like 4

On 8/20/2024 at 8:01 AM, Albert said:
Introducing the 7800+ and Friends

Atari has just announced the Atari 7800+ console, a brand new way to enjoy Atari 2600 and 7800 games on a modern television. The 7800+ share's the same, sleek design as the original 7800, featuring the European version of the silver stripe on the front of the console. It features an HDMI port on the back, a USB-C connector for power, and two standard DB9 controller ports on the front. Included is the new CX-78+ Wireless Controller, as well as a copy of Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, the original sequel to Crystal Castles, developed by AtariAge member Robert DeCrescenzo (PacManPlus).

7800+ Features:

• Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
  • Near-perfect compatibility with original and third-party Atari games
  • Includes the new Wireless CX78+ Gamepad for all of your two-button, gaming needs
  • Easily connects to any screen via HDMI
  • Widescreen or 4:3 viewing options for all displays
  • Included cartridge Bentley Bear’s newest 7800 adventure; Bentley Bear’s Crystal Quest
  • USB-C charging cable (wall charging plug not included)

In addition to the 7800+ and CX-78+ Wireless Controller, Atari has also announced a CX-40+ Wireless Joystick. Both wireless controllers will work on classic consoles and computers that support standard Atari DB9 joystick controllers, as well as with modern computers using the included USB-A wireless dongle.

And, finally, Atari has also announced several new 2600 and 7800 titles to accompany the release of the 7800+:

New 2600 Titles:

New 7800 Titles:

And, one thing that greatly excites us, is that Bounty Bob Strikes Back is making its appearance on the 7800 for the first time, faithfully ported to the Atari 7800 by Robert DeCrescenzo! This classic platform game, the sequel to the wildly popular Miner 2049er, was originally released for the Atari 5200 and Atari 8-bit computers, and now you can enjoy it on the 7800! 

You can learn more about and pre-order all of the above items at Atari.com.

Shit, my savings are on a strategic hold for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

This is why we need a SUPER LIKE Button!

Yeah, AtariAge-subscribers should get some extras… 

(what will it be in the opposite end…?)

I would LOVE an FPGA console!  (Even more so if I knew it was designed by Analogue!)

I think the Polymega Console by Playmaji could become something in the general direction, even if I’m uncertain how it runs carts or discs.

I would also be curious what kind of recreation would be done with:  Off the Shelf parts,

Feasible and inexpensive but quite time-consuming and in need of lots of dedicated support… is my of-the-cuff guess here. Just wildly speculating really, since I cannot come to think of any strictly contemporary examples right now…

Off the Shelf parts + Custom Chips,

Feasible and expensive. 
Like Polymega…

Off the Shelf parts + (some) FPGA,

The Universe implodes, then re-assembles almost like we know/knew it, but with better retro-consoles… which by the way are somewhat expensive to obtain but really does an overwhelming amount of heavyduty game-stuff.

This is what actually happened with the Analogue - just so quick we didn’t notice - given its only off-the-shelf part is the micro-SD card reader… 

Feasible, one-time expensive and sligthly reality-bending.

any Combo of the above.

…at your own risk: time, money, physical reality, your sanity & what-not

I wish ATARI would look into it;  Really look into it,  even as a loss leader or gesture of goodwill that doesn't turn a big profit,

…they need money before they can do goodwill-things like this.

They seem to bring in goodwill when its not economically impossible though…like Holiday DLC for Atari 50th last year.

A good way to start is to support the stuff one think Atari deserves recognition for pulling off.

Like: if this 7800+ is a cool-cool thing in ones eyes, why not get one asap, and get yet another one as gift for your retro buddy or retro-granny or retro-kid or for the local retro-game-champ…? Like spread that-which-is-honestly-&-handsdown-coolstuff? 

If Atari gets some money, backed by honestly held high esteem; they’ll get closer to do some overt Limited Run Luxury-console-stunts in the near future.

Edited by Giles N

On 8/20/2024 at 3:31 PM, sramirez2008 said:

@Albert please tell me that this ad will be available as a poster. I have to add this to my Atari room.

image.thumb.png.d4094259d735e19421c71beafef68e87.png

More images (some larger ones, sadly still too small to print a poster) here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YmRHABiMBHWLYR6BFts6FYvfEXldnuXf

More links to images here: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2024/08/20/2932954/0/en/Get-Your-Pixel-Fix-Like-It-s-1986-Atari-and-PLAION-Announce-the-Atari-7800-Game-Console.html

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Albert said:

once my time frees up (which isn't going to be until early in the new year). 

Hmmm, - somehow I read your words literally, but my brain reads the message ‘once my time frees up, which isn’t going to be until early in the next decade’

Spoiler

But, thanks anyway; I want Atari-vote, Super-like button, buy-PONGF-share-button (right beneath ‘standard-like’, Atari-focused AI-Art-generator-button with the personalty and humor of…Evil Otto, Atari Online Arcade (not just a button, but screen-pad with screen buttons, this may be only for Super-Subsribers though…), a subscribe button, a Atari Hotel Centennial News Update Room (called Atari Overlooked Room:217), and a Atari Hotline button going directly to the CEO (…who must take it…part of the subscription; - perhaps best saved for the Hyper-Subscription…?), and, of course an ‘annoy-greatly button’ to use on posts you dislike: each time you tap-it, the fire-sound from Planet Smashers is heard… This for the very exclusive Troll-Subscription.

And lastly the Life-Subscription. You just get sent one of everything Atari ever releases because you paid for it. And you get at the Luxury Room you now live in for life in The Atari Bahamas Arcade Resort, where you have your own staff and chopper at hand. 
Might take a decade to get it all programmed into this already mighty fine site, though…

Edited by Giles N

Just now, Giles N said:

Hmmm, - somehow I read your words literally, but my brain reads the message ‘once my time frees up, which isn’t going to be until early in the next decade’

This made me weep a bit inside. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I think the Polymega Console by Playmaji could become something in the general direction, even if I’m uncertain how it runs carts or discs.

Polymega is just another average emulation box with a bunch of expensive dumper attachments. Nothing fpga about it.

They initially marketed it as a kind of hybrid fpga+software emulation box. But they quickly changed scope and went the cheaper 100% software emulation route. It just dumps roms and plays them.

Edited by thecavalry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

This made me weep a bit inside. 

..Al

My brain has been known to be wrong at times (ahem, under high stress, - too much of that of lately - like 20H out of 24H) and I meant only that its really good to get necessary time-off, - rest - and let Atari-staffers and helpful buttons do as much of the hard work as possible!

Anyway, - if my humor just went into a too dark corner this time round, I’m all apology; and I sort owe you a Taco-Dinner or 3… 

…or you can put in special button for my darker-posts … Evil Otto-on-Giles N posts… nuke…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

My brain has been known to be wrong at times (ahem, under stress, like 20H out of 24) and I meant only that its really good to get necessary time-off, - rest - and let Atari-staff and helpful buttons do as much of the hard work as possible!

Anyway, - if my humor just went into a too dark corner this, I’m all apology; and I sort owe you a Taco-Dinner or 3…

I'm not really weeping, just more dark humor. :D

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Atari 7800+ items are starting to become available on the US Amazon site, but not yet in Canada. Hopefully it doesn't take long to roll out internationally like it did for the 2600+.

Congrats to everyone involved on such an exciting product release. I'm hoping for more peripheral compatibility, like keypad controllers, trackballs, and maybe with some luck and good old engineering, the AtariVox in the future!

Edited by atwwong
Added wish-list
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

How is that possible. It is not Winter… 

Could be several explanations:

- his order contains 10 SpeakerHats and a Cable

- FedEx has moved onto the next stage of superhigh efficiency delivery: TimeMachines - they’ve been to the near future, brought IT back to our time, and now cvga will get to play the 7800+ and all the new games before September has come…

- There are 2 simultanously existing Ataris; one in the US, another - very similar in its use of blueprints - located, well, somewhere else, which sells the 2600+ at $12,99, the 400Mini at $5,99 and thr 7800+ (and conveniently all of the new games) for only $59,99. 
- Ataris announcemt of Winter 2024, wasn’t US-centered, but sort of global. It’s always winter… somewhere… so the 7800+ is actually released according to this standard, - you only must click ‘yes’ to a question: Do you live in a zone on the Planet which you personally regard as Winter?

So, given those things, its very or quite likely the 7800+ is now actually being physically handled by FedEx-pros…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

While that is a good idea generally from a marketing perspective, at least for Bob’s games besides Bounty Bob, you can also simply download the binaries he has posted elsewhere to play them in emulation or at least see what they look like. Also, many/most of them have had threads about them here at AtariAge when they were under development. There are probably videos of them on YT as well. 

Yeah, I'm talking specifically about from a marketing perspective and attracting new buyers, many of whom have never heard of AtariAge and may not use forums anymore in general, haven't heard of emulation and don't know what binaries are, etc. But even as an engaged AtariAge member who does know about all that stuff, I'd also like the convenience of seeing screenshots and even gameplay videos and trailers right there on the product page, as those features are standard with other publishers' websites.

3 hours ago, cvga said:

I've already received an email stating that my order is on the way along with a FedEx tracking number. Sweet!

Did you order anything else besides the new release items? I did and they are just shipping those.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert said:

We're definitely going to have some fun with that once my time frees up (which isn't going to be until early in the new year). 

..Al

Well,  if you do like my SUPER LIKE response idea,...I was imagining this for subscribers when they Really Like a post;  Of course you don't want anyone using this power willy-nilly,  so you only allow one per week!    (Just a thought)

1 minute ago, GoldLeader said:

Well,  if you do like my SUPER LIKE response idea,...I was imagining this for subscribers when they Really Like a post;  Of course you don't want anyone using this power willy-nilly,  so you only allow one per week!    (Just a thought)

got talent yes GIF by TV4

• Like 1
  • Haha 2