IGNORED

I don't have Asteroids but my dad does

tyranthraxus

If it is anything like that 8-bit version, which I think it is. Although not as good/fun as the 2600/7800 versions, it does have a certain amount of "charm" to it.

4 players with co-op/vs play, and you can set whether you get shields or hyperspace. I think there were some other options, but I forget.

The graphics are kinda clunky, but they do manage to get alot of asteroids on the screen at once.

So overall worth a go for asteroid fans.

You know what is funny? That controller issue isn't a problem at all. They could have programmed the game to always point the ship in the direction that the stick is in, since the 5200 controllers had more than one button anyway (to handle missiles, thrust, and hyperspace/shields). Wonder why they never did that obvious solution?

You know what is funny? That controller issue isn't a problem at all. They could have programmed the game to always point the ship in the direction that the stick is in, since the 5200 controllers had more than one button anyway (to handle missiles, thrust, and hyperspace/shields). Wonder why they never did that obvious solution?

Dunno. I guess we'll have to figure out who did the 5200 port and ask them. I think the problem was that the programmers were all new to the 5200 and hadn't mastered the foibles of the 5200 stick. Perhaps Atari felt that Asteroids wasn't a strong enough title and didn't bother with a fix?

Tempest

Personally I think it is fun, but how well it fairs with a defacto 5200 stick is beyond me.

I tried it with an emulator (stick in digital mode) and it seemed to work fine (after pressing left/right up/down a few times).

If you have one of those new redemption adapters, it oughta be great.

I ...  have never

played the original arcade.

You're missing out! It's great, as is its sequel, Asteroids Deluxe, and its color quasi-sequel, Space Duel.

The deep rumbling bass when an asteroid blows up is unbeatable. I don't think MAME does the game justice.

By the way... :lol: I just got the reference in the title of the thread.

Personally I think it is fun, but how well it fairs with a defacto 5200 stick is beyond me.

I tried it with an emulator (stick in digital mode) and it seemed to work fine (after pressing left/right up/down a few times).

If you have one of those new redemption adapters, it oughta be great.

It plays pretty well on a Dreamcast's analog thumbstick too.

Though I find myself playing Meteorites more, because it's just a better version of the game. When you have 2 action buttons and 12 auxillary ones, there's no reason whatsoever for up to thrust and down to hyperspace.

The deep rumbling bass when an asteroid blows up is unbeatable. I don't think MAME does the game justice.

No emulator ever does do a vector game justice.

By the way... :lol: I just got the reference in the title of the thread.

I'm surprised no one has said anything until now :D

I think it was because we had a troll around here a couple months back talking about all of these rare prototypes that his dad owned. That was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

But then, of course... it hit me.

eddie.jpg

The Starplex 5 button controller rocks with all systems: 2600, 5200, Vectrex .. and all games that use the LRhTF system. Left Right hyperspace Thrust Fire.

About my note about the angles of fire: I was playing the 8-bit Asteroids yesterday and for every angle of the ship (16) there are three different fire angles for a total of 48 different fire angles. Is this the case with the 5200 version? Has anyone else noticed this?

The 2600/7800 versions of Asteroids (as well as Space War) have one fire angle per ship angle (16 only).

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA