IGNORED

Atari 7800+ vs S video modded 7800

JOD-I

On 8/23/2024 at 4:06 AM, John Stamos Mullet said:

You should be sorry, because you're wrong.

"Component" is actually an HD Format, Y Pb PR, which can carry signals at 1080p equal to Standard HD resolution through HDMI, without the copy protection of HDCP or the lossy compression of the digital signal.

Most HDTVophiles consider it superior at Standard HD than HDMI, as it's not as compressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

I use Component cables on my Wii to play Gamecube games. It's a Gamecube pro. Ok another thread and topic..😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Component isn't better than HDMI. Someone making obscure technical arguments as to why, "akshually" it is are neglecting the real world experiences. 

Hell, my TV is so new that it doesn't even support component anymore. I have one from 2016 that does, and it's not that nice. not compared to HDMI. even if "theoretically it is".

Another nonsense waste of folks time to be argumentative, as per usual. 

Component is a god damn legacy connector, the standard is HDMI and has been for the last 15 years for HD signals. FFS. 

Edited by tradyblix

FPGA is overhyped. It's technically implementing a gate level recreation of a given chip, but that depends on accurate information and accurate implementation of the required array configuration.

I think it originated from when software emulation wasn't 100% "accurate", and these days is being specifically used as a cudgel to gatekeep retrogaming by basically mandating expensive solutions as the only "viable" alternative to a bank of original, aging hardware.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Component isn't better than HDMI. Someone making obscure technical arguments as to why, "akshually" it is are neglecting the real world experiences. 

Hell, my TV is so new that it doesn't even support component anymore. I have one from 2016 that does, and it's not that nice. not compared to HDMI. even if "theoretically it is".

Another nonsense waste of folks time to be argumentative, as per usual. 

Component is a god damn legacy connector, the standard is HDMI and has been for the last 15 years for HD signals. FFS. 

HDMI was only implemeted because Movie houses wanted copy protection for Blu-Ray  so their products couldnt be easily pirated at HD quality. It adds literally nothing to the signal quality, and more often than not reduces it due to digital compression. You quite literally don't know anything about what you're talking about, and you really should stop posting false information about things you don't know about.

And yeah, before you rattle off on some idiotic tangent like you always do - I have a Bachelors degree in Audio and Video Production from Berklee. I'm a qualified subject matter expert on this topic.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LynnInDenver said:

FPGA is overhyped. It's technically implementing a gate level recreation of a given chip, but that depends on accurate information and accurate implementation of the required array configuration.

I think it originated from when software emulation wasn't 100% "accurate", and these days is being specifically used as a cudgel to gatekeep retrogaming by basically mandating expensive solutions as the only "viable" alternative to a bank of original, aging hardware.

This. FPGA proponents want everyone to think it's the gold standard, but the vast majority of FPGA drivers are based on 15 year old, outdated emulation, and not on actual system specs or performance.

• Like 1

I would rather have emulation that is programmed really well than to have badly programmed FPGA.  The atari core in the collectorvision phoenix is not done very well whereas the STELLA emulator is excellent for playing atari games.

• Like 3

As a person who has worked with FPGA boards I can tell you that they are horrible to program and it would be extremely difficult to achieve that pace of improvements you got with 2600+. Not to mention that the price tag would be higher. 

• Like 4

On 8/22/2024 at 3:41 PM, tradyblix said:

hdmi is signficantly better than any "composite" or "component" in. sorry, but also not sorry. 

When connected to HDTV's that offer both options, I see no difference on my PS3, Wii U, or Xbox 360's. Component is quite capable of delivering a high quality HD signal.

• Like 1

Yeah, as I recall there was a "sunset" provision for HDMI licensing on output devices that required component to be deliberately and unavoidably degraded to SD resolutions at best. So what basically happened at that point is that once it rolled out, new playback devices of all types just omitted component entirely as a connector option, because that was the practical effect rather than deal with calls from customers who were upset that the component "wasn't working". It was entirely meant to close the "analog hole" regarding the HDMI support standard of copyright protection, which is basically that devices had to be certified to receive certain flagged video feeds, otherwise the output device would refuse it, which in practice means that you only get to output to televisions with no pass-throughs, or you have to import pass-through devices that don't bother with the licensing and effectively strip that bit off.

That said, few people will be able to pick out the slight differences between component and HDMI with output devices that supported both.

Edited by LynnInDenver
  • Like 1

My atari 2600+ looks better on my TV than my uav s-video modified 7800 hooked into the same tv using a retrotink 2xpro.  The 7800 looks good but the 2600+ just looks better.  I know the pluses and minuses of both systems.  I love them both.

• Like 1

No debating that a real 7800 can do more.  The plus systems simply allow newer generations of gamers to be able to play atari on modern tvs without having to spend extra money to have an original atari be able to hook up to modern tvs.  The plus systems are not perfect but I for one am having fun with it.  I of course love my real 7800 but I did have to spend some money to get a uav s-video modded system and a retrotink 2x pro.  Money that not every member of atariage may be able or willing to spend.  There is no absolute right or wrong here.  People should play atari in whatever way is fun for them.  

• Like 3