IGNORED

New Atari game-Fatal Run 2089

jeremiahjt

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

Even if performance isn't an issue, games with large file sizes are an issue for the VCS too.    Especially if you have the stock 32Gb storage.   This might be a larger game.

Yeah - I don't remember all the specs, but it'd be crazy of them to release something that can't work on a stock 400 and only an 800, or require some kind of HDD addition to work. It wouldn't sell enough to be worth the time to do a port. This is another reason that it should've had a physical media option, mini-carts like the Switch would've made sense as they can handle 64GB and I think higher

This will become more and more common in the future, so while I'm sure the VCS will continue to get smaller indie games and retro Atari game releases for a time, VCS owners need to accept that its not going to be able to handle future PC releases for the rest of time. 

• Like 1

Wtf, this actually looks fun asf! Cautiously optimistic so far.

We need more fun racing games in general. Back in the late 90s throughout the early 2010s, we had so many great, fun racing game franchises - Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Burnout, Driver, Sega Rally, Daytona USARidge Racer, Motorstorm, Carmageddon, Wipeout, Blur. Almost all gone or completely tarnished nowadays.

Forza and Mario Kart aside, it feels like the racing game genre is completely dead.

It would be really cool if Atari tackled that hole in the market and make some fun games like we used to have back in the day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pac-Lander said:

Wow!!! Is this the first title that Atari has released for modern consoles like PS4/5, Xbox Series, Switch, etc?

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/atari

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/Search/Results?q=atari

https://www.nintendo.com/us/search/?srsltid=AfmBOoq3brIY6BBTFqFfF_xM6ti-_aLxwSsWQnvdSsFn-j6kg3UVJr2_#q=atari&p=1&cat=all&sort=df

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taken from the Xbox marketplace link from @PowerDubs post.

Features

- 20 levels across four landscapes with branching paths, hidden shortcuts, and explosive set pieces

- Four larger-than-life boss fights that will each provide a unique challenge to players

- Classic arcade progression challenges you to beat the clock, or ARC decay, or it’s back to the start

- 63 different enhancements that can be dropped or appear in shops and 27 randomized add variety and unpredictability to each run

- 4 co-pilots with different skills and personalities add extra character to your adventure and ways to shape your playstyle

- Tailor your approach to one of seven vehicles with distinct performance characteristics: weave in and out of danger with a light ride or barrel through enemies with a heavy one. But you can only choose one car per run, no mid-trip switching.

I'm definitely interested. I'll add it to my wishlist for sure.

• Like 1

I am tired of games that require high specs. I want something with good game play, good artistic style and something that I don't need the NCC-1701 on board computer to play.

Having said all that this does have a nice artistic style and looks like it could be fun.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, Orange Lynx said:

The game has MotorStorm energy.

Now that I think about it, I really miss Pacific Rift. Anyhow, lunatics unite.

I hope Fatal Run 2089 gets a GOG release.

That was the vibe I got from the video, it took me back to PS3 Motostorm Apocalypse (2011) 

Just in a much newer and more powerful game engine. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 7:32 PM, TopDrawer said:

We need more fun racing games in general. Back in the late 90s throughout the early 2010s, we had so many great, fun racing game franchises - Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Burnout, Driver, Sega Rally, Daytona USARidge Racer, Motorstorm, Carmageddon, Wipeout, Blur. Almost all gone or completely tarnished nowadays.

Forza and Mario Kart aside, it feels like the racing game genre is completely dead.

It would be really cool if Atari tackled that hole in the market and make some fun games like we used to have back in the day.

Online Blur with mates was bloody amazing, really miss those days 😭

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 7:32 PM, TopDrawer said:

Totally agree. I love the driving games but most games I find I only play for about 5hrs before falling back to Forza Horizon series.

I'm excited for this though. It does give me Carmageddon vibes. I had that on my first ever pc. Recently picked it up again on Steam. It hasn't aged well. I hope Fatal Run can fill that niche.

• Like 1

Somebody say battlewheels? Heck yeah, we need more of those. I said fatal run reminds me of twisted metal, but battle wheels literally is an early version. Granted beyond games (who owns that?)

How about hard drivin, that's atari, I think. I know, looks like crap now, but was really state of the art at its time.

People are right though, racing games are a seemingly dead genre now days, and was one of my absolute faves in the 90's. For me, overshadowed by the story driven fps as those matured.

Atari has/had tons of racers, and most are good, or at least at their time were. Maybe racers can be one of Ataris things?

17 hours ago, Video said:

How about hard drivin, that's atari, I think. I know, looks like crap now, but was really state of the art at its time.

I feel like the point of Hard Drivin' was "look we can do real 3D graphics in a racing game!"   Now that every racing game is 3D, I'm not sure what a remake of that will bring to the table?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I feel like the point of Hard Drivin' was "look we can do real 3D graphics in a racing game!"   Now that every racing game is 3D, I'm not sure what a remake of that will bring to the table?

The other thing the deluxe arcade cabinet added to the experience was force feedback. I don't remember any racing game that had that feature at the time.

I don't think any of the home markets got a good example of that until PS2 and Gran Turismo 3 with the Logitech Force Feedback wheel.

s-l1200.jpg

Spoiler

• Like 3

Bummer. In addition to 3d it was fun to race, either yourself or computers (think you had to race yourself one lap/qualify either way) hard drivin had force feedback? Cool, didn't know that. I either never played, or don't remember much of the arcade version. I vaguely remember it being higher resolution than the home versions, most those I played with their chugtastic 4 or so frames per second. Anyhow, I enjoyed it, and despite slow and chuggy, still do occasionally. May just be rose tinted glasses admittedly though 😛 loved just trying to rip across the environment, just see how far you could go before the game reset your car, is that house really 3d? How about that cow? Can I run them over? What happens if I do? Lol we sure had fun bitd though, also, how many racers feature loop the loop?

You could look at club drive as sort of a sequel, or natural progression. Same basic idea, "look, 3d!" I liked the collect mode (which few racers feature, I want to say beetle adventure had it) but the racing was weird on CD, as you raced to the end, had to turn around and back again, with no proper circuit or turnarounds, making head to head racing a rather strange experience.

Still, fatal run, looks right up my alley, I await in eager anticipation.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:08 AM, alucardX said:

I am tired of games that require high specs. I want something with good game play, good artistic style and something that I don't need the NCC-1701 on board computer to play.

Having said all that this does have a nice artistic style and looks like it could be fun.

If it plays fine on the Switch then it isn't that high of specs.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2024 at 1:46 PM, MrBeefy said:

If it plays fine on the Switch then it isn't that high of specs.

More than likely it will be a cut down version for switch because it is too big of a market to ignore. Kind of like the latest Mortal Kombat games have done.

If they can get it running on the Switch that is good news for a possible VCS port, although the VCS hasn't historically been easy to port over Unreal Engine 5 games to. But it's not that big of a deal if it doesn't come to the VCS, not a sign of much of anything really given that there have been a bunch of games from Atari that didn't arrive on the VCS due to tech, licensing, sub-studio contracting, etc. The one that really burns me is Digital Eclipse's Making of Karateka, that's a no-brainer for the VCS.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I have never understood why people prefer the 2600 version, it seems so much worse than the 7800 version, which to me is a perfect game. 80's era Oregon Trail meets Car Wars with a story about a virus that makes people EXPLODE. :)

The 2600 version just plays better for the actual game part.

I don't like the 2006 Nu Rock aesthetic of this at all but I will pick it up if it plays decently on Switch.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:28 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah - I don't remember all the specs, but it'd be crazy of them to release something that can't work on a stock 400 and only an 800, or require some kind of HDD addition to work. It wouldn't sell enough to be worth the time to do a port. This is another reason that it should've had a physical media option, mini-carts like the Switch would've made sense as they can handle 64GB and I think higher

This will become more and more common in the future, so while I'm sure the VCS will continue to get smaller indie games and retro Atari game releases for a time, VCS owners need to accept that its not going to be able to handle future PC releases for the rest of time. 

Technically you could stick a USB stick in it for more storage.  Come with a special edition USB stick etched with Atari / Fatal Run.  Bonus: It'd also run on any Linux desktop.

Edit: The VCS is actually a bit more powerful than most give it credit for.  Granted, I wouldn't try and do 1080p gaming on it, but running things at 720p is fine for most things.  Ha, for giggles, I should fire up my Debian install on it and benchmark Black Myth Wukong on it.  I believe that one is Unreal 5 engine as well?

Edited by leech