IGNORED

PAL Atari 2600 Super Football with 7800 typo on label - rarity?

Going through my 2600 cartridges in preparation for shifting some of them on ebay, and I noticed that my copy of Super Football has an identity crisis; according to the main picture label it's for the 2600 but the top label says it's for the 7800.

Looking around for info on this and there doesn't seem to be much conclusive about the rarity of this. There was a thread on here in 2006...

...where, as far as I can see, an unscrupulous tosspot had a couple of copies of this and decided to sell them as a 7800 "prototype" by tearing off the big label, thus hiding any reference to it being a 2600 cartridge. I also found this link - https://videogamevariations.com/AtariCompanies/AtariGames/SuperFootball/super_football_cartridges.htm - but that says nothing about rarity.

There was also a thread in 2016...

...but other than someone saying that they're relatively common, there really wasn't much definitive.

Is this something worth hanging on to, or pricing higher than a regular copy? Or rather than this being a unicorn, is this just a horse with an ice cream cone attached to its head?

It is probably not very rare. Atarimania states this: "Most of the PRINTED IN HONG KONG carts carry the end label of the Atari 7800 version."

https://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-super-football_14071.html

So it looks like this is similar to the Pole Position cartridge with the typo "POLE POSITN*" on the end label. The red (mostly) rerelease cartridges were published around 1988. That was the time Atari tried to save as much money as they could. Repacking old stock, using anything they still had lying around and did not care if boxes/labels were incorrect. Maybe it is worth a few dollars/pounds/euros more than the cartridge without the typo, but sorry you did not hit the jackpot 😉