IGNORED

Pokey and other chips

Question.  I have a number of chips (obtained from a company that did Atari repairs).  I've been able to identify most of the chips by using the listing at Best Electronics.  What do the different numbers mean after the number of the chip?  There are a couple of Pokey chips. 2 have a 22 after the CO12294 number (CO12294-22) and the other has CO12294-19. There is also one that has 129948-01.   I've also seen ones online for sale with the -03 etc.

I'm planning on selling off the box at VCF Midwest next month and want to know what the different numbers mean.

There are over 70 chips in the collection along with some SIO ports (male) and a bunch of replacement key caps for STs.  Also a couple of floppy drive belts and assorted connectors etc.

P1110974x.JPG

I don't think there is a definitive "as documented by Atari's internal paperwork" answer anywhere, but typically suffixes like that tend to indicate production runs or factory batch codes. Functionally, all chips sharing the same Atari model number ("C0nnnnn") are identical. There is anecdotal evidence that some particular manufacturers of these chips (including MOS, OKI, Rockwell, Synertek ...) have better or worse long-term reliability into the current day. But there is no truly scientific data on that either, just peoples' individual experience with various makes of chips and dealing with failures and replacement parts. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2024 at 7:15 PM, djglish said:

Question.  I have a number of chips (obtained from a company that did Atari repairs).  I've been able to identify most of the chips by using the listing at Best Electronics.  What do the different numbers mean after the number of the chip?  There are a couple of Pokey chips. 2 have a 22 after the CO12294 number (CO12294-22) and the other has CO12294-19. There is also one that has 129948-01.   I've also seen ones online for sale with the -03 etc.

I'm planning on selling off the box at VCF Midwest next month and want to know what the different numbers mean.

There are over 70 chips in the collection along with some SIO ports (male) and a bunch of replacement key caps for STs.  Also a couple of floppy drive belts and assorted connectors etc.

P1110974x.JPG

Do you have any 8040 or 8050 chips for the Atari XF551 by any chance?

Wow that's a small truckload of chips :o   No it's not as I originally thought. There are a bunch of individual chips (approximately 70+), but not many of each kind (e.g., Pokeys quantity 3).

Those Pokeys alone are worth a small fortune in the quantity you have.

Just curious if you can give a bit more back story on the place where these came from, and how you were fortunate enough to get your hands on them.

On 8/30/2024 at 12:44 AM, djglish said:

I am putting up a PDF with the list of chips.

You may want to search online for Field Service Manuals for the various Atari hardware, and also Atari's "Master Chip Listing" document, as they contain all the chip numbers.

• Like 1

Okay @djglish maybe I've misinterpreted the left column number in the chip list pdf. I originally thought that was quantity, but now I'm not so sure. Can you verify?

EDIT: Wait a minute I just saw you mentioned in your first post that there are approximately 70 chips all together, so I guess I've got my answer. That left column number really doesn't mean anything because the list starts at 3 instead of 1, and there are gaps in the numbering sequence.

The box came from a local computer repair company that was getting out of the Atari business.  

The numbers in the left hand column correspond with pictures that I had taken of the chips.

A few chips were removed so that's why the list starts at 3 and has a few other numbers missing.

I'm working on decluttering the basement now that I'm retired and haven't done much with the Ataris in some time.

I'll have a bunch of stuff available at the VCF Midwest this weekend (not everything but a good start).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, djglish said:

The box came from a local computer repair company that was getting out of the Atari business.  

The numbers in the left hand column correspond with pictures that I had taken of the chips.

A few chips were removed so that's why the list starts at 3 and has a few other numbers missing.

I'm working on decluttering the basement now that I'm retired and haven't done much with the Ataris in some time.

I'll have a bunch of stuff available at the VCF Midwest this weekend (not everything but a good start).

What table are you at?  I'll be at P10, P11 with a bunch of 8-bit machines.

I'm listed at AtariGuy at tables B9/B10.  

I'd like to sell the box of stuff together if possible.  

I was planning on asking $300 for it all but for someone from here I could go lower (specially if it doesn't sell early)

Dave