IGNORED

Atari 7800+ Orders

5200Fanatic

Def not pre ordering anything. Learnt my lesson here. 

Anyone still needs lessons order away. 

I am awaiting a product in a store that I can purchase and return to the store for warranty if it is defective. Seems there is no answer to when that may happen. Possibly for now atari is an online store only? Are these made in the U S of A?  Hope not everything is Chynah. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5200Fanatic said:

Hello,

I ordered the 7800+ bundle, and I received all the bundle items except the 7800+ and 7800+ wireless controller. Anyone is a similar boat? I guess the 7800+ items are coming later?

Thanks!

They aren't being shipped until the release date, which is at the end of November, why would you think they would be included? :?

• Like 3

On 8/30/2024 at 12:28 AM, Jinks said:

Def not pre ordering anything. Learnt my lesson here. 

Anyone still needs lessons order away. 

I am awaiting a product in a store that I can purchase and return to the store for warranty if it is defective. Seems there is no answer to when that may happen. Possibly for now atari is an online store only? Are these made in the U S of A?  Hope not everything is Chynah. 

Unreal

Real. 

I am 100% for this product. Make no mistake. Once it is available I will buy. Mostly for the wireless controllers and the ability to connect hdmi. Everything else I have many of already. Do I need another copy of BBCQ? Do I need another 7800? Oh yeah it connects with a common usb C so yeah why not. It is not super expensive. Especially the games the prices are like they were 10 years ago. 

Edited by Jinks

Anyone have any idea what if any technical differences there are between the 2600+ and the 7800+?

I really wish I could buy this from Toys R' Us, by pulling the little sheet of paper, then paying for it, and taking it to the shack at the front in exchange for the actual product. I miss the 80s... lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2024 at 8:22 PM, 5200Fanatic said:

Just odd that they'd not ship it all together.

No, it isn’t. Part of your order contained items that Atari has in stock currently, so those were shipped immediately. Part of your order was a pre-order for the 7800+ console which hasn't been released yet.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2024 at 4:04 PM, 82-T/A said:

Anyone have any idea what if any technical differences there are between the 2600+ and the 7800+?

I really wish I could buy this from Toys R' Us, by pulling the little sheet of paper, then paying for it, and taking it to the shack at the front in exchange for the actual product. I miss the 80s... lol.

Even Toys R' Us disappeared for the most part.  The store I always miss was one called Lionel's Play World.  We used to buy Atari 8bit games there along with some role-playing stuff.  Much like the Powers & Perils game we got there, that store disappeared as well...

As far as technical differences between the 2600+ and 7800+, my understanding is that the 7800+ will support wireless controllers, while the 2600+ does not.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what the differences are.  I'd love an actual FPGA based system that has HDMI out simply to replace the original 7800 (or for that matter the 5200) so I could still use the awesome flash carts  that have come out for them.  Most of my shelf space is reserved for RPGs and board games, it's kind of hard to justify buying a bunch of boxed carts.

Yeah, I'd never heard of Lionel's Play World before I moved to Florida. They were actually bought up by Toys R' Us from what I understand. That was the place my wife grew up with, and she tells me about it all the time. I'd only ever been to Toys R' Us, and I remember that FAO Schwartz was the super fancy place... like if you wanted custom-made toys that were fashioned from beachwood or bears made from rare animal fur or something ridiculous. Haha...

I have the 2600+, and I'm pretty happy with it. But to be completely honest, I think I'd rather prefer a remake of the original that didn't used a programmable chip, but actual static hardware (that uses the cartridge, rather than pulls data off of it). I'm not complaining... I love my 2600+. I just don't really like the loading delay and such... but it was well done. I will probably get a 7800+, but I'm going to wait since it doesn't come out until November. I was kind of burned when I pre-ordered my 2600+ on the first day, and ended up getting it way later than basically every other person on Atari Age, including people who ordered it on Amazon after release day. Haha...

20 hours ago, leech said:

As far as technical differences between the 2600+ and 7800+, my understanding is that the 7800+ will support wireless controllers, while the 2600+ does not.  

That is not correct. The wireless controllers that are available for pre-order now are 100% compatible with the 2600+, 7800+, and the original 2600 and 7800 consoles. They use a DB9 dongle that plugs into the controller port, similar to the 8bitdo wireless controllers for Sega Genesis. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, leech said:

Even Toys R' Us disappeared for the most part.  The store I always miss was one called Lionel's Play World.  We used to buy Atari 8bit games there along with some role-playing stuff.  Much like the Powers & Perils game we got there, that store disappeared as well...

Never heard of Play World, but we had a place called Lionel Kiddie City,  I suppose they were related?   Huge toy store, I think even larger than the average Toys R Us.

On 9/6/2024 at 6:04 PM, 82-T/A said:

That's how I bought all of my NES games. My little local game shop had closed by then, very sad. However, the anticipation of going to the store and not knowing if the game was in stock, then seeing the slip just waiting for me, then that incredibly long period of time between then and when they'd give me the game while I imagined how awesome it was going to be to play it.

Damn dude, you just hit core memory territory for me. Thanks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bent_pin said:

That's how I bought all of my NES games. My little local game shop had closed by then, very sad. However, the anticipation of going to the store and not knowing if the game was in stock, then seeing the slip just waiting for me, then that incredibly long period of time between then and when they'd give me the game while I imagined how awesome it was going to be to play it.

The sad thing is, it seems to me that the only local game stores around these days are gamestop, and they're terrible!  All the Babbages and Software Etc are long gone, etc. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 10:14 AM, bent_pin said:

This sounds like a terrible way to live.

4 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

No seriously, it was.

Getting a new game meant more when you needed to put effort into acquiring it. Made you appreciate it more. The instant gratification today of downloading games instantly, or downloading an entire console's worth of roms in one shot isn't fun, or exciting. There's no semblance of anticipation.

We went from kids working a paper route and saving all their tips for a month to get one new Atari cart to this in two generations:

image.thumb.jpeg.89f643a4a83941cba1b3ebcee65c35b3.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree. Going to Toys R Us and looking at all the pictures of the game art, taking the slip and bringing it over to the counter, and waiting for your game to arrive, and the anticipation of it was awesome!

I miss those days. That's how my brother got his virtual boy, the slip at toys r Us, I still have that thing!