IGNORED

Any game recommendations for the Odyssey 2?

Had just bought myself a Magnavox Odysseytoday and I wonder what the game library is like besides the sports titles.

My system will come with a clone version of Pac-Man and I’ve heard of another title called Quest for the Rings for examples.

Does anyone else here have a Magnavox Odysseyas well? I assume this is where I would post about it.

• Like 1

You've come to the right place! The KC Munchkin games are good ones. Quest for the Rings is rather unique, being an action/board game combo. UFO and Freedom Fighters are two shooters I keep coming back to. Pick Axe Pete, as mentioned, is a fun platformer, where you're climbing ladders and mining for gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Challenger Series is where you'll want to look first:

• UFO!
  • Pick-Axe Pete!
  • Attack of The Timelord!
  • K.C. Munchkin (I actually don't care for this one, personally, but it's popular; chances are you'll dig it)
  • K.C.'s Krazy Chase!
  • Smithereens!
  • P.T. Barnum's Acrobats!
  • Freedom Fighters!
  • Monkeyshines!
  • Killer Bees
  • Turtles
  • And if you can find it...Powerlords

From the "standard" Odyssey lineup, I like these:

• Bowling!/Basketball!
  • Showdown in 2100, A.D.!
  • Computer Golf!
  • Alien Invaders-Plus!
  • Thunderball!

Your mileage will vary much more with the standard games; they're generally considered pretty mediocre, but there's fun to be had!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

From the "standard" Odyssey lineup, I like these:

• Bowling!/Basketball!
  • Showdown in 2100, A.D.!
  • Computer Golf!
  • Alien Invaders-Plus!
  • Thunderball!

Your mileage will vary much more with the standard games; they're generally considered pretty mediocre, but there's fun to be had!

Totally agree with both your lists. I would just add to the "standard" list one more game, Cosmic Conflict!

There, now it's perfect. :)

• Like 2

I also enjoy Frogger, but I think that was a Videopac only release, so you'd need a multi-cart or flash cart to play it.

If you have someone to play against, the already mentioned "Showdown in 2100, A.D.!" can be fun with its crazy ricochets.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 5:26 PM, jimj said:

I also enjoy Frogger, but I think that was a Videopac only release, so you'd need a multi-cart or flash cart to play it.

If you have someone to play against, the already mentioned "Showdown in 2100, A.D.!" can be fun with its crazy ricochets.

I can't believe I forgot about Frogger. Yep great version of this game. I really the like the two screen play of the game. Of course I had to buy a repro to play it. I also like the Atlantis (again I had to purchase a repro). Two great games I never had back in the day.

One other I would put out there and it is a homebrew and that is "Spaceman SPlorf Planet of Doom". This is the most polished homebrew game for the O2 I've ever seen. Heck, it feels better then many of the original release games (music, graphics, & game play). It really shows off what can be done for the O2.

• Like 1