IGNORED

Fixing an NES

ToddUGA

Quick update: Took the thing completely apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and put it back together. Works perfectly now. Occasionally I'll get the flashing screen but after I take the cartridge out and reinsert it it works. Sounds like I need to give the carts a good scrubbing too. Haven't played them in a long time. Thanks for the replies. :)

Front loader NES systems are horribly bad for that. So much so that they gave rise to the famous "blow job" (the act of removing he cards, blowing vigorously on the connectors and in the slot, then reinserting them). I have a completely mint CIB NES system that looks like it was barely ever used and it still has that problem occasionally even after I took it apart and ran a toothbrush dipped in alcohol along the 72-pin.

I'll usually use one of those brushes from an NES cleaning kit laced with isopropyl alcohol and clean 'em vigorously. At worst case I'll open the cart and run a pencil eraser along the contacts. (You'll need a security bit set with security gamebit bits to do that, though)

What works for me is that I open the cart with a security bit and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Top loaders are a great collector's item. Personally I like the small design, specially the dog bone controller. The only small nitpick is the signal quality always have these "invisible bars" (original NES doesn't suffer from this).

Here's an interesting bit of psychology. Almost nobody learned the blowing techniques from anybody else. The sharp blast, the hot breath, blowing into the NES itself... All of these techniques must be embedded in the human genome itself.
I can explain the logic with my Vectrex.

It won't work right.

Dust is on the contacts.

A quick burst of air will remove the dust.

And I never blew into the cart slot on anything.