IGNORED

PS5 Pro…..699 …

I still remember

not sure if they re-enacted that with 699 it would go very well.

I also remember the PS3 60GB at 599 … and that was also high imho.

But please share your thoughts.

Mine is that lack of competition is not good, if only MS stopped fuxxing up the XB platform … too late I am afraid.

PS: … and no stand or disc or dualsense pro controller included either … PS5-almost-Pro?

Edited by phoenixdownita

I've never particular liked the idea of the mid-generation "pro" consoles.   

Sure people argued that the PS4 was underpowered compared to PCs, so PS4 pro would help narrow the gap.    But the PS5 was much more competitive with the PC market when released.    And I'd argue that the power of the PS5 hasn't really been tapped yet,   still too many PS5 games that feel like slightly upgraded PS4 games, and not a whole lot that shows the power of the new tech. 

So I've been underwhelmed by the PS5 so far,  and they want me to shell out $700 to be underwhelmed some more?  I think not! 

• Like 2

No issue with the price, it's cheaper than a VCS at launch. While I do enjoy the games I play on my PS5, I don't play it enough that I could see replacing it with a Pro version.  I bought my PS5 with a drive but seldom use it as only 2 of my games are on disc, Ratchet & Clank and Spyro Reignited, everything else has been digital. I also don't use the drive for movies as my dedicated 4K player supports additional HDR options - rather different than my experience with the PS3 which was arguably one of the best blu ray players you could get at the time.

image.thumb.png.1959a81825ba7bb1b79317708df0d39e.png

3 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

No issue with the price, it's cheaper than a VCS at launch. While I do enjoy the games I play on my PS5, I don't play it enough that I could see replacing it with a Pro version.  I bought my PS5 with a drive but seldom use it as only 2 of my games are on disc, Ratchet & Clank and Spyro Reignited, everything else has been digital. I also don't use the drive for movies as my dedicated 4K player supports additional HDR options - rather different than my experience with the PS3 which was arguably one of the best blu ray players you could get at the time.

Inflation calculator is misleading imho.

Yes the vcs2600 was expensive at launch but it heralded a whole new entertainment business and people did not already get shafted from post-Covid prices that even as supply chain restores are not coming down (15$ burrito at a food cart ?!? .. and tip expected .. fuxx you), the ps1 launch above at 299 equates to 620 today … still not the same, they were cheaper than the competition.

As you say the lack of games is the issue which amplifies the price dissonance here.

Edited by phoenixdownita

3 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

But the VCS really didn't fly off the shelves until after Space Invaders came out in 1980.

In the JC Penney catalog, the VCS was $145,  or about $548 now.    Still pricey though.

I was pretty happy to have the mid gen upgrade with PS4, simply because I could easily see the difference in all the VR games that I played.  But not personally seeing a reason to get this one at the moment.  Not even related to the price, for me, just currently very happy with the PS5 that I have and none of the upgrades I see matter enough for me to be bothered with it. 

My last Playstation was #3, I just get my AAA gaming fix from the PC these days, but I still have a soft spot for Sony's consoles, for nostalgia reasons. So it's a bit sad to see them sort of losing their way this gen. The preposterous price and config of the Pro is one thing, nobody forces you to buy it after all, but the lack of a strong software line up (ie SP AAA exclusives) is much more worrying. Concord was a fairly good indicator of this malady, and showed what might happen in the long run on a bigger scale if they keep ignoring their user base and thinking their market leader position is untouchable.

On 9/13/2024 at 1:06 PM, zzip said:

But the VCS really didn't fly off the shelves until after Space Invaders came out in 1980.

Yeah, I don't expect the PS5 Pro to fly off the shelves. I also doubt a killer app like Space Invaders was for the 2600 would help either as said game would still run on a regular PS5, just without some fancy rendering.

9 hours ago, youxia said:

My last Playstation was #3, I just get my AAA gaming fix from the PC these days, but I still have a soft spot for Sony's consoles, for nostalgia reasons. So it's a bit sad to see them sort of losing their way this gen. The preposterous price and config of the Pro is one thing, nobody forces you to buy it after all, but the lack of a strong software line up (ie SP AAA exclusives) is much more worrying. Concord was a fairly good indicator of this malady, and showed what might happen in the long run on a bigger scale if they keep ignoring their user base and thinking their market leader position is untouchable.

They lost their way back during PS3, too, coming off that "PS2=King of the World" high -- but about quarter to half way through that gen, competition forced them to find it again.  Seems like they kicked the competitor's ass a little too well, though, so probably gonna see some repeats.

Edited by Razzie.P

7 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

They lost their way back during PS3, too, coming off that "PS2=King of the World" high -- but about quarter to half way through that gen, competition forced them to find it again.  Seems like they kicked the competitor's ass a little too well, though, so probably gonna see some repeats.

Exactly, it's a cycle. Nintendo won big with the Wii, then failed with the Wii U, then was number one again with the Switch, etc. Of course, since there are 3 competitors and not 2, and since the generations are not as synced as they used to be, it makes things a little more complicated than that. The PS4 was successful so it's not surprising the PS5 doesn't do as well. I also expect Switch's successor to be not as successful, but it's no big deal.

That being said, Sony always had that "elitist" (or high-end at least) image imho, at least since the PS2 (which was successful in spite of being quite expensive at launch and not having many killer apps - except a DVD player). In a way that helps differentiate themselves from Nintendo. And to be fair it was probably worse with the PS3 that was really launched as a luxury item (Kutaragi even expected players to "tighten their belts" to afford one 😬), which helped the Xbox 360 a lot. However, this time, Microsoft is already in 3rd place so I'm not sure PS5 Pro's high price will change that; the regular PS5 is still available after all.

On 9/14/2024 at 10:16 AM, youxia said:

Yeah and they've put so many of their exclusives on PC now, so maybe they feel like they need to compete with PC on specs with the PS5 pro rather than rely on exclusives to sell the platform?