IGNORED

Counterfeit vintage consoles + pirated games

Fake retro game ring worth €50m smashed in Italy

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1k7387pmrpo

“The pirated consoles were imitations of the iconic devices produced by Nintendo, Sega and Atari and did not meet strict safety standards.”

“All the devices were fitted with non-certified batteries and electrical circuits and did not meet EU technical or safety standards.”

What exactly did they seize/destroy?

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

Sounds more like they got a cargo container full of stuff more than anything. Batteries? What pre 2k consoles had those? As far as carts, they're just typical watch type batteries, usually 2032 types.

Why the sudden interest in that market anyways? I can see while in production, but most pre 2k stuff is out of production for years, if not decades. Its certainly not affecting Nintendo or whoever if they themselves have no interest in continuing production of the things. Many counterfeit consoles and games can be had at reputable distributors like Amazon or even Wal-Mart. Granted, that's in the US.

On 9/15/2024 at 8:49 AM, Video said:

Sounds more like they got a cargo container full of stuff more than anything. Batteries? What pre 2k consoles had those? As far as carts, they're just typical watch type batteries, usually 2032 types.

Why the sudden interest in that market anyways? I can see while in production, but most pre 2k stuff is out of production for years, if not decades. Its certainly not affecting Nintendo or whoever if they themselves have no interest in continuing production of the things. Many counterfeit consoles and games can be had at reputable distributors like Amazon or even Wal-Mart. Granted, that's in the US.

Everything hurts Nintendo. They have shown they are willing to go after anyone for anything. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yeah, nintendo is so full of trap their eyes are brown, like most everybody else who cries "piracy (of out of print) games hurt us"

Granted when every cash register in your place plays the main theme to your main game I guess you can afford to be detached from reality...

Has anybody ever managed to show loss of sales due to people getting out of print stuff, not just Nintendo, but anybody?

• Like 1

I don't believe so, or if they do have it, they don't feel the public is worth seeing the damages and just keep it as implied.  One could make a slight case for copies out of print but can be sourced over some non-owned streaming service.  They can claim that if someone wanted to stream to play they could pay the fee, but instead pirate because they don't like the greasy scalper rates on some 30 year old video game.  They can argue someone used a ROM for free, didn't pay the $20-35 fee for their NSO package if we're talking Nintendo here, vs paying a shark.  They'd rather get their few coins off you then go a warezy route and would argue it was stolen (shh potential and unproven) sales.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Video said:

Yeah, nintendo is so full of trap their eyes are brown, like most everybody else who cries "piracy (of out of print) games hurt us"

Has anybody ever managed to show loss of sales due to people getting out of print stuff, not just Nintendo, but anybody?

The issue here is that games are copyrighte.

Also here we're talking about hardware and software to be sold. It's different from people sharing ROM files for free, those people actually made money out of things that doesn't belong to them.

While I don't approve of Nintendo going after fans doing fan creations that are shared for free, here there's no grey areas, it's simple theft.

The fact it hurt sales is irrelevant.

Funny enough, I've always considered stuff sold, especially at legit stores, valid. But I imagine the bootleg game boy with hundreds of games, some include Nintendo IP aren't licensed.

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Multiplayer-Portable-Supporting-Connection/dp/B0D8BD3T41/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.sXaUIK3fUaw7hQzm6_cEu999klsV1GDQH53F59dyvEK5feq4Z2bXKQXdZ2YBoYPNtDD5js2oG1-lbcJaPCLgAKys99iWcaSN-g8XWh_utcIyg_mgV4dbEsKNB-rfIS6344t_rV5S6ZlgCYfAz0sDFTk_7i4Ki7lqjgR-MtffMxxjY7xYTMFT0qB5xgdJeMkSOKBjI-vS4-kTmypi9HBJig.TxeRSn6j7YcS0xLFGOOmvyAx2hqceUIgiRTcEhCrSTY&dib_tag=se&keywords=handheld+game&qid=1726608714&s=hpc&sr=1-4

I actually have the red of this exact one, though I bought mine from Wal-Mart.

I can say, from first hand experience, buying these crappy systems, or downloading roms certainly doesn't affect my buying of legit, actually made by Nintendo (or others) consoles and software, out of print or not.

Edited by Video