IGNORED

Elevator Action Prototype

Tempest

I was always under the impression that there was only one EA prototype in existence and that was the one that was released at CGE back in the early 2000's.  There appears to be a second one however: https://www.ebay.com/itm/156401343792

Other than the stickers over the EPROMs they look the same.  I thought maybe the old stickers had been removed and replaced for some reason, but if you look at the position of the resistors on the right side you'll see they're different than the CGE one: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/elevator/elevatorproto.htm .  I wonder if this version is different?

Any idea who the seller is?  They have a lot of prototypes that I've either reviewed or owned at one point.  I'm curious as to who it is.  They also have the 5200 Muppet Go Round proto up for sale which to my knowledge has never been dumped.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DeafAtariFromKansas said:

C1 - C4 are capacitors, not resistors... Last 2 ones at right looks like they are zener diodes..  Why someone put ATARIPROTOS.COM on box⁉️

Yes you're right, they're Zener diodes.  

No idea on why they put my website on the box.

On 9/21/2024 at 3:45 AM, Tempest said:

Yes you're right, they're Zener diodes.  

No idea on why they put my website on the box.

Connection to AtariProtos: I had made individual “loaner” boxes for my prototypes in my collection and wanted to add a short description and the best reviews for Protos are yours  :). When I sold my prototypes I sold the boxes them with those boxes.

5 hours ago, Marc Oberhäuser said:

Connection to AtariProtos: I had made individual “loaner” boxes for my prototypes in my collection and wanted to add a short description and the best reviews for Protos are yours  :). When I sold my prototypes I sold the boxes them with those boxes.

Ah that explains it then.

Do you know who the seller is by any chance?

43 minutes ago, Wickeycolumbus said:

I dont like how there are no stickers on the EPROMs, even protos in shells usually have them with typed or written text.  What are the chances this was made out of an extra pcb from Best Electronics or something with the ROM that is available?

I've only seen that weird style EPROM board on a handful of SARA chip prototypes like EA and Desert Falcon. I don't believe that they were available from Best but I could be wrong.

The lack of stickers isn't necessarily a sign of a copy.  I've seen many legit protos without them, but I'll admit that most Atari inc/corp protos had them.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:09 AM, Tempest said:

I've only seen that weird style EPROM board on a handful of SARA chip prototypes like EA and Desert Falcon. I don't believe that they were available from Best but I could be wrong.

The lack of stickers isn't necessarily a sign of a copy.  I've seen many legit protos without them, but I'll admit that most Atari inc/corp protos had them.

I've had 2 legit protos of Shooting Arcade and both came on those SARA boards. Only person I knew of that had any unpopulated SARA proto boards was Curt Vendel many years ago.

17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I've had 2 legit protos of Shooting Arcade and both came on those SARA boards. Only person I knew of that had any unpopulated SARA proto boards was Curt Vendel many years ago.

On that weird 'triangular' one?  The Shooting Arcade proto I had was on the larger more common SARA board:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/shootingarcade/91889.htm

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

On that weird 'triangular' one?  The Shooting Arcade proto I had was on the larger more common SARA board:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/shootingarcade/91889.htm

Sorry, it was on the board you showed in the link. The boards are just a little too tall to fit in a 2600 cartridge shell as well. I had a clear case for one and had to modify the shell for it to fit (and remove the center post). Both protos had typed stickers.

Edited by Shawn

15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Sorry, it was on the board you showed in the link. The boards are just a little too tall to fit in a 2600 cartridge shell as well. I had a clear case for one and had to modify the shell for it to fit (and remove the center post). Both protos had typed stickers.

Thought so.  I've only seen this board used once or twice.  I'm not a hardware guy so I don't know what the differences are between the two.