IGNORED

Fired my 65XE

sideburn

12 minutes ago, sideburn said:

OK i talked to Evie who makes the chip tester and I am picking the right one 44256. 64Kx4-bit = 32KB

SO looks like both rams are bad. Can someone point me to some replacements that aren't crazy pricey. there's only a couple LH2464's on ebay out of country and shipping is $$$$

That would make sense since the ingot failure usually took out the ram.

13 hours ago, sideburn said:

I wonder if my U1MB is dead :(

If there are any Atarians near you with a U1MB already installed it might be a simple plug and replace solution that could be easier for you than having to desolder chips on a 130xe. Just put yours in its place and see if things still work.

17 minutes ago, Tillek said:

If there are any Atarians near you with a U1MB already installed it might be a simple plug and replace solution that could be easier for you than having to desolder chips on a 130xe. Just put yours in its place and see if things still work.

Nope, I am the only weirdo spending way to much time and money on "e-waste" in my circle...

OK so now, looking at the board more two more chips to pull and test but in the meantime even with the chips removed shouldn't I be seeing a 14mhz & 4mhz sine wave off the two oscillators?
Board is DEAD... just downloaded the schematics. got to start digging deeper now.

* spoke too soon just looked at schematics.. Looks like Freddy and Antic are required for y1 and 72 oscillators. but freddie checked out good so not sure whats up there. Need to pull and test antic next and then ill get the 800xl out and maybe I can use that to really test the chips.

* ANTIC passed... so far only the ram has failed.

Edited by sideburn

39 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I'd check the 4050, GTIA and transistors since the Sophia fried

I have a good GTIA since it was removed for the Sophia. 

all chips pass. Sally, Freddie, gtia, antic, pia, os rom, basic rom. 

but when I put them all back in the sockets there’s no clock on the oscillators or the cpu. 

dead 💀 

what’s the 4050?

intested all transistors in circuit with my DMM. Good. Also I checked the voltage tolerances and most are above 11v

I will pull U21 (74LS74) even though its spec say it can handle 15v but it is tied to the y1 oscillator and freddie with is tied to the y2 oscillator.. 
Something is definitely wrong here. got to get those oscillators running before anything.

Edited by sideburn

26 minutes ago, sideburn said:

I have a good GTIA since it was removed for the Sophia. 

all chips pass. Sally, Freddie, gtia, antic, pia, os rom, basic rom. 

but when I put them all back in the sockets there’s no clock on the oscillators or the cpu. 

dead 💀 

what’s the 4050?

intested all transistors in circuit with my DMM. Good. Also I checked the voltage tolerances and most are above 11v

The 4050 is a buffer chip used for the video.

I'd go back to the clock and figure out why you don't have a clock signal.  (I assume you have a scope here....)

Check all the way back to the oscillator circuit.

Edited by reifsnyderb

35 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

The 4050 is a buffer chip used for the video.

I'd go back to the clock and figure out why you don't have a clock signal.  (I assume you have a scope here....)

Check all the way back to the oscillator circuit.

Yea exactly that’s what I’ve been working on and so far it’s looking like I need to pull and test that 74LS74. Yeah I have a scope. And a logic analyzer if it comes to that after I manage to get a clock! 🤦‍♂️ 

* 7474 passed… 

Edited by sideburn

You have crystals forming your oscillator and clock. check the caps and energizing path. even if the back bit tester says chips are all good, make sure nothing is pulling the clock down including those chips.

consider the sophia may have distorted the socket so the chip may need splaying to contact the socket better. also I see some solder on legs of chips in other sockets I'd clean and flatten them ensure they make good contact as well.

CD4050BN is not uniform in color anymore, even if it were to marginally pass, I'd replace it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You have crystals forming your oscillator and clock. check the caps and energizing path. even if the back bit tester says chips are all good, make sure nothing is pulling the clock down including those chips.

consider the sophia may have distorted the socket so the chip may need splaying to contact the socket better. also I see some solder on legs of chips in other sockets I'd clean and flatten them ensure they make good contact as well.

CD4050BN is not uniform in color anymore, even if it were to marginally pass, I'd replace it.

Good eye on th 4050.. yeah i semi cleaned the solder on the pins but they need another round.

I have made some discoveries.

but the schematic and board part numbers are not completely matching even though I am looking at the right one for my board. there are several.

I found two open resistors right in the clock circuit. R26 and R18 (R33 on my board and the board in the snapshot provided to me).

Anyway it looks very much like this would be why I have no oscillator action....

EDIT: NOPE.... swapped them out.. out of circuit only R18 was open. Weird now in circuit it's 0 ohms across R18. Maybe thats a clue and what might have blown it out.

Screenshot2024-10-01at10_06_07PM.thumb.png.d397520eac7df0f9702f01ab1da8df9a.pngScreenshot2024-10-01at10_18_23PM.thumb.png.a63c5df6600a68779b1db61fcd8bf251.pngScreenshot2024-10-01at10_07_23PM.thumb.png.06dbaa255a61a3e3ae0cb7bbd415f9f1.png

Edited by sideburn

I’ll do whatever it takes. I lifted the 4.43 Y2 and it’s an open circuit as well then I though I’m being stupid because I’m about to pass out so I grabbed a bunch of crystals out of my bin and made sure my meter measures resistance on those! 😆 it did. 

so I have two bad crystals. And two bad rams. And both are unobtainium… almost…

9 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

on the PAL models, you have 2x options here. replace the 2-pin crystal or go with the 4-pin oscillator variant and remove the local components to the right

maybe the same applies to NTSC with just a frequency difference?

This is a pal board…  

insaw there was also some other modern solution but didn’t dive into that. 

whatever I can do to get this back up in order I am willing to try. 

any links & pointers appreciated for the crystal situation and the ram. 

im calling it quits for tonight. 

8 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

heres a couple, ive used NEC brand before without issue (i think i stuck it in my CoCo2 also...)

TMS is good too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176224630245

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176516920665

£7quid for 2x is quite reasonable 🙂

Thanks but they both say item doesn’t ship to United States :(

7 minutes ago, sideburn said:

Thanks but they both say item doesn’t ship to United States :(

16 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

heres a couple, ive used NEC brand before without issue (i think i stuck it in my CoCo2 also...)

TMS is good too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176224630245

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176516920665

£7quid for 2x is quite reasonable 🙂

Will these work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134774816551?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OdKtb0NMSL6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=vQ425jH5TBq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1