IGNORED

What is it about the 5200?

genfuyung

Obviously everyone in this particular forum is a fan, but as someone who already has a 2600 and a 7800, is the 5200 worth getting these days? Opinions on it seem to fall to one of two extremes.

Edit: Also, is there a "best version" of the console?

Edited by genfuyung
Added info

As part of my collection, I have had many 5200s over the years and have one now. With that said, I really don't see much point in getting one these days. The controller situation is a pain and you'll likely want a modded one to use properly with a decent display or converter. You're frankly better off with a good Atari 8-bit computer. You can do more with it, and, for the most part, the games are the same, just a heck of a lot more of them. For the handful of 5200 true exclusives and games that work great with the analog joystick and trackball, it's a whole lot of effort and expense that's arguably better spent investing in the Atari 8-bit computer ecosystem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

...but as someone who already has a 2600 and a 7800, is the 5200 worth getting these days? 

That depends on you. 

I would say it is, provided you understand some things:

• It's not really a "successor" to the 2600 as much as a deluxe companion console
  • As such, most of its games are improved versions of 2600 games (or, some 2600 games are low-rent versions of 5200 games), so there aren't a lot of exclusive titles
  • You WILL have to repair controllers that have not already been rebuilt; there are easy and cheap DIY methods as well as quality rebuild kits available now
  • The controllers are...different, and they're definitely better with some games than others, but I would encourage you to give them an honest try before you make a judgement
  • You'll want a Trak Ball to get the most of out the system
  • It's like a vintage sports car: niche, impractical, idiosyncratic, not cost-effective, and may require a little work to get it running...but man, is it fun to drive

5 minutes ago, genfuyung said:

I think most 5200 fans prefer the 2-port version since it uses standard RF and power connections rather than a proprietary switchbox that the power runs through. It can also use the 2600 adapter, though in practice I'm not sure too many people really do. (I don't, except on a lark.) The downside is that Pitfall, Mountain King, and I think K-Razy Shoot-Out don't work on it due to its revised BIOS, although you can swap it out with a 4-port BIOS to restore that compatibility.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

It's like a vintage sports car: niche, impractical, idiosyncratic, not cost-effective, and may require a little work to get it running...but man, is it fun to drive

Beautifully said. To me, the 5200 gives the best "arcade experience" overall. Yes, the controllers can be wonky, but I've become comfortable with them, and they do add an extra dimension to some of the games (although the track ball will do the same, and better).

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

You're frankly better off with a good Atari 8-bit computer. You can do more with it, and, for the most part, the games are the same, just a heck of a lot more of them. For the handful of 5200 true exclusives and games that work great with the analog joystick and trackball, it's a whole lot of effort and expense that's arguably better spent investing in the Atari 8-bit computer ecosystem.

Agreed here too. I have the 8-bit computer and 5200 and for the most part the games are equivalent. The games that are on both but optimized for the analog stick/trackball on the 5200 are awesome, and not quite as nice on the 8-bits. The games that use digital control are better on the8-bits because the joystick self centers. 

In the end, it's each persons call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, genfuyung said:

Obviously everyone in this particular forum is a fan, but as someone who already has a 2600 and a 7800, is the 5200 worth getting these days? Opinions on it seem to fall to one of two extremes.

I only got into the 5200 this year, and so I'm somewhat still in the honeymoon phase. The 5200 is one of extremes.

The cost? Extremely variable. Games range from next to nothing to ultra hyper premium.
The system? Extremely enormous. Even a PS5 isn't quite as big.

The games? Extremely good. Seriously. Most of the games on the 5200 are not only good for the era, but hold up better than most others of the period.

The stock controller? Extremely frustrating. Most 5200 controllers do not fully work and those repair kits can only help if a 5200 controller's buttons have issues, not if the joystick itself has issues.

There are modern controller options to get around the terrible stock controller. Is the 5200 worth investing in? If you are a fan of early 80s games, yes I'd say so. You'll see many repeats of 2600 games, but the 5200 versions always look, sound and play superior. The 5200 was killed off by the crash so it never reached its full potential. The 7800 is only a minor step up from the 5200 in terms of some of its visual capabilities. But the 5200 has a POKEY onboard, whereas the 7800 does not and that meant nearly everything is TIA only.

Overall, I like the 5200 more than I like the 2600, even though the 2600 has a vastly larger library. The 5200 is just far more capable. I would still suggest the average retro gamer to get a 7800 if they are only going to get one Atari platform, but if you have one and crave more, the 5200 is worth at least considering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, genfuyung said:

Is there a popular composite mod available for purchase anywhere? Not having any luck finding a kit.

I replied to your PM about this. For the best composite output you are going to want to get the UAV. It also provides s-video and the s-video output on the 5200 is excellent! But there are other options as well as described in detail in my answer to your PM.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I replied to your PM about this. For the best composite output you are going to want to get the UAV. It also provides s-video and the s-video output on the 5200 is excellent! But there are other options as well as described in detail in my answer to your PM.

Thanks again.

46 minutes ago, Satoshi Matrix said:

Universal Atari Video, UAV. But the guy doesn't make it super easy as you need to supply the actual composite jacks and wiring yourself.

Yeah I'm finding it weirdly difficult to find composite jacks. His site is all out of stock and of course I can only find them in massive quantities.

On 10/12/2024 at 10:46 AM, genfuyung said:

Yeah I'm finding it weirdly difficult to find composite jacks. His site is all out of stock and of course I can only find them in massive quantities.

Just saw this...I purchase most of my AV jacks as 'sets' for UAV installs from Console5.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 4:49 PM, BassGuitari said:

That depends on you. 

I would say it is, provided you understand some things:

• It's not really a "successor" to the 2600 as much as a deluxe companion console
  • As such, most of its games are improved versions of 2600 games (or, some 2600 games are low-rent versions of 5200 games), so there aren't a lot of exclusive titles
  • You WILL have to repair controllers that have not already been rebuilt; there are easy and cheap DIY methods as well as quality rebuild kits available now
  • The controllers are...different, and they're definitely better with some games than others, but I would encourage you to give them an honest try before you make a judgement
  • You'll want a Trak Ball to get the most of out the system
  • It's like a vintage sports car: niche, impractical, idiosyncratic, not cost-effective, and may require a little work to get it running...but man, is it fun to drive

I think most 5200 fans prefer the 2-port version since it uses standard RF and power connections rather than a proprietary switchbox that the power runs through. It can also use the 2600 adapter, though in practice I'm not sure too many people really do. (I don't, except on a lark.) The downside is that Pitfall, Mountain King, and I think K-Razy Shoot-Out don't work on it due to its revised BIOS, although you can swap it out with a 4-port BIOS to restore that compatibility.

Probably the best analysis of the 5200 Ive read in 40 years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 5200 is the only Atari game system I never played, let alone owned.  When I heard of its release in the early 80s I was very excited, excitement that turned to bitter disappointment when it was announced it would not be released in the UK.  Over time it has always been a low priority on my collection radar.  Maybe its time I changed that outlook and finally get myself one.

• Like 2

Never played it as a kid, but I wanted one really badly.  Then I started High School and My dad brought home a Ti-994A, so I got into basic programming instead of games.  Got one with crappy controllers in 2000, shelved it for 5 years and got rid of it. Got one a few months ago for $75 with 13 games and rebuilt the controllers.  Now it's my new favorite collectable console.  I don't even know why I like it.  Making up for stuff I missed out on, I guess.  Now I have to get another 7800, I guess!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 4:49 PM, BassGuitari said:

It's not really a "successor" to the 2600 as much as a deluxe companion console

What?  This doesn't even make sense.

Maybe what you mean is Atari had a tiered marketing strategy where the poor folks had the 2600 and the wealthy folks had the 5200?

On 10/3/2024 at 3:22 PM, genfuyung said:

I agree with the person who said an Atari 8bit computer is probably the better choice.  However, if you don't want to screw around with disks and modern replacements and just want the console experience, the 5200 is a pretty cool system.

While it does share much of the library with the 2600, most of the games are better on the 8bit/5200. They certainly look and sound better.  Compare Pac Man on the 2600 and 5200 and there is no comparison. Same with Ms Pac Man.   While the 2600 version of centipede is great, the 5200 version is much more authentic to the arcade, especially if you have the roller controller.  Then you have games like Qix on the 5200, which looks and plays very well.  Defender is another standout game. Robotron is great.  Most of the 5200 library is pretty good.

The downside is you have to be committed.  I've seen 2600 games and accessories in the wild probably on the order of 25 times more often. You're going to pay ebay prices and deal with ebay.  The controllers leave something to be desired and need frequent repair (though there are excellent 3rd party options).  The cartridge design SUCKS.  If you don't have the boxes, there are no end labels.  So you just have a stack of unidentifiable games when stacked.  It is comically large.

1 hour ago, christo930 said:

Tried that. Left glue residue all over the cart that was near impossible to get off. 

Print out the new cartridge sleeves that @TheRingBearer has made up, completely solves all the issues with style,  provides cart identification and dust protection, 2 in one, and no sticky residue to mess with. Just takes a little time to assemble them.

IMG_20241020_215938720.jpg

Edited by RB5200
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RB5200 said:

Print out the new cartridge sleeves that @TheRingBearer has made up, completely solves all the issues with style,  provides cart identification and dust protection, 2 in one, and no sticky residue to mess with. Just takes a little time to assemble them.

Where are these files?  What do you print them on?

24 minutes ago, christo930 said:

Where are these files?  What do you print them on?

The files are in the - alternate cartridge labels and sleeves section, here's the link

I print my sleeves on 100 # card stock at 96% size if you want a perfect fit. Or I should say my local printer does it for me, very cheap through them also.

Edited by RB5200