IGNORED

Atari 130XE Setup: As Good as it Got?

On 10/11/2024 at 10:07 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

[Y]ou got plenty more you could do [:]DiscoVision/LaserDisk Player[,] Percom Quads[,] X10 controller[.]  If your going ultimate, you'd need all the trimmings[; i.e., ] MIO.

My focus is on gaming and basic home office.  That stuff is EXTREME in it pushing of limits and specialization of purpose.  I DO use a 1MB MIO with a SCSI2SD housed inside of a Supra Atari Hard Disk enclosure.  I absolutely love it.

On 10/11/2024 at 2:06 PM, Tillek said:

You'd need a computer room to have at least one wall for hardware and then all the toy/game software controllers.  I'd say two XE's side by side and build from there

If I DO dedicate an additional workstation to the Atari 8-Bit, it will be an 800XL with a pair of 1050's and a 256K MIO.  But my history wall has dedicated workstations for each of the Atari 8-Bit, Amiga 16/32-Bit, DOS/Windows 3.1 VGA/VESA, Windows 9X 3DFX VooDoo, and Windows XP DirectX eras.  It's a pretty full house in here and my itch for category patterns is well-served by it.  

Edited by pixelmischief

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it's mucked up the quotes. All kinds of mark up on the first quote and totally wrong person indicated on the second

The markup garbage is my own fascist adherence to antiquated paraphrasing notation.  The incorrect quote attribution is just my own bad forum citizenship, vis-a-vis reusing pasted quote blocks for no apparently effective reason.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 2:14 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

BBS Gurus Club and the Bi Monthly zoom meetings would have not only alerted you to it's existence, but you could have seen it in action, asked questions, got some answers, as well as having the Federation of Republics test some things for you as it is demonstrated live.

Is that Commander or SubCommander Tillek?

_Commander Adama__ is curious.

yea, the guys have asked me to start being a part of that conf - and i will.. this past conf was just not possible for me to join. i will talk to all of you soon. 

9 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Did you get the BlueScsi to work?

Didn't even try.  I happened across the SCSI2SD in my "stuff" box, connected it, and it "just worked".  Aaaaaand now the BlueSCSI replaces the SCSI2SD in that box.  It will never end.  I'll die with hundreds of things I just never got around to using.

13 hours ago, pixelmischief said:

Didn't even try.  I happened across the SCSI2SD in my "stuff" box, connected it, and it "just worked".  Aaaaaand now the BlueSCSI replaces the SCSI2SD in that box.  It will never end.  I'll die with hundreds of things I just never got around to using.

Eh, as I've said elsewhere (and maybe here too...) even if it doesn't work well for the 8-bitters yet (I'm sure they'll fix that firmware) it does have the advantage of being put in initiator mode to "image" actual hard drives without the intervention of a computer.  That alone makes it something possibly worth having around.

5 hours ago, Tillek said:

Eh, as I've said elsewhere (and maybe here too...) even if it doesn't work well for the 8-bitters yet (I'm sure they'll fix that firmware) it does have the advantage of being put in initiator mode to "image" actual hard drives without the intervention of a computer.  That alone makes it something possibly worth having around.

I have no idea what you just said... 

image.png.d9a157cea7f506bf14773898b4859f2d.png

It provides the commands to the bus letting the chain know who the boss is, targets them, and then it's firmware allows it to use a form of sector copy of the other drives to itself.

When using the Falcon030 the computer itself can be given an ID and at the same time act as an initiator, thanks to nice HD driver software being aware, and you can form a SCSI network targeting the computers also on the scsi bus

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It provides the commands to the bus letting the chain know who the boss is, targets them, and then it's firmware allows it to use a form of sector copy of the other drives to itself.

When using the Falcon030 the computer itself can be given an ID and at the same time act as an initiator, thanks to nice HD driver software being aware, and you can form a SCSI network targeting the computers also on the scsi bus

image.png.d9a157cea7f506bf14773898b4859f2d.webp.751cf04e14ebd65438b522385a97f053.webp