IGNORED

How is a JagCD supposed to act?

the-daryl

Earlier this afternoon i picked up a JagCD unit... Used, with no manuals or games w/ it (Nor could I find any games in town). Anyways after a bit of bargining I got a 2week guarentee on it in case it didn't work.

So on the way home I am thinking doesn't JagCD play audio CDs?

All that happens when plugging it into the wall and into the jag is getting a new boot screen... with a CD at the bottom of it with a question mark on it. Inserting an audio CD, it doesn't seem to spin at all. Just the question mark stops flashing for 2 seconds and then begins again.

Is there keyboard combo I am supposed to hit on the joypad or is this unit just toast? (I am sorta leaning towards it's toast, unless i am misremembering and it DOESN'T play audio CD's? I mean the motor doesn't seem to turn at all =/)

And if this unit is just toast is it even worth trying to fix or should I just return it? I got a decent deal on it, but if it's just a paperweight... hehe

Also, the cart port works, plays cart games fine thru it.

Thanks for any and all help )

Daryl

Thanks Saturn :)

I have seen that guide, was looking at it earlier actually. Just wasn't sure if perhaps it was something I was doing wrong (have zero experience with a JagCD player and couldn't find instructions anywhere).

I got another jag base unit and 3 carts I didn't have bundled with it, but at this point just looking at returning the whole thing tommorrow. Looks like it would be cheaper to just find a unit by itself than to replace parts in it.

Oh well it was a fun drive home, at least... and my jag finally got to look like it had a commode on it.... hahaha :|

I have seen that guide, was looking at it earlier actually. Just wasn't sure if perhaps it was something I was doing wrong (have zero experience with a JagCD player and couldn't find instructions anywhere).

Okay :)

It's supposed to go right to loading the game after the different boot screen. (takes a few seconds with an (alternating) version of the VLM showing in the background. When it doesn't read a cd, it might be a few different things. Hopefully, one of the more experienced members can lend a hand. :)

Good luck

Upon turning on a Jag with a CD unit you should see the Jaguar logo with the visual effects behind it (there are various ones). You should put your disk in before turning it on obviously.

The CD should be spinning at this point.

Any audio CD should bring up a screen to let you select and play tracks from the audio CD.

Thanks guys.... Looks like this unit is just a bad apple.

Motor doesn't spin, and as far as I can tell, even start... tried cleaning the lense (heard that if it's dirty it wouldn't spin/load) and adjusting it a bit. Just no motion at all (

Oh well still a few more thrift stores to hit tommorrow since i have to go back into town to return this one, maybe another treasure is out there.

Thanks again for all the help. The community here really makes a new comer feel welcome.

A dirty lens has nothing to do with the CD not spinning. How hard is it to spin the spindle? If it is slightly tighe, it was pushed down and it would be rubbing the plastic underneath. You can go to the website mentioned earlier on how to fix that. I just used a small screwdriver and carefully pryed it back up. Haven't had a problem since.

Depending how much you paid for it, you may want to keep it and sell it to someone as a potentially dead unit for repair, it sounds to me like its quite possible (perhaps even easy) to repair for someone who knows what they're doing, and it seems a shame to return a salvagable cd unit to someone saying its broken, when he'll probably just throw it in the bin. If you paid lots for it, perhaps as for a refund, as it is broken, but offer him a smaller ammount for it as spares. Dont ever throw a cd away or allow it to be thrown away, there are many useful components that can be salvaged and sold on, even if the unit is beyond repair (but this one dosnt sound beyond repair to me).

Good luck, keep us informed.

Also,it may sound silly but maybe not..

1) Try using the power supply for the Jag CD unit on your Jag unit.

(er, swipe them... see if that fixes the problem or creates another)

2)Make sure the power outlet your using actually works... heh.

My uncle had a computer plugged into the same outlet as his monitor and he thought his computer died.. the monty was working but the pc wasn't. Turned out that SOCKET was just blown... just another idea.

If you have already tried what I have suggested above then... ??¿¿??

You gots me! ~

Clint Thompson

Surely a JagCD without power shows a picture of the JagCD with a large arrow pointing at the power socket? Perhaps if it was getting some power but not enough it would display the disk with a ? over it... Hmm... Sounds to me more like a stuck platter or burnt out motor tho.