IGNORED

Mario Bros

SS

The bottom silver label version was first.

The upper grey label variant was the latter...can tell by the cart design and most likely lack of a dust cover on your grey label version. Atari did away with the dust covers on the carts starting sometime around 86 officially during the revival of the 2600 and the release (Finally) of the 7800. Although many have reported that some 84 made carts are dust coverless.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wanted to know for sure. The one that I currently own is a severely damaged second version and I'm looking to replace it with the original. I had forgotten about how bad it was until today because I've only been playing Rhindle's hack recently. :D

post-1863-1068361468_thumb.jpg

Thanks.  That's what I was thinking but wanted to know for sure.  The one that I currently own is a severely damaged second version and I'm looking to replace it with the original.  I had forgotten about how bad it was until today because I've only been playing Rhindle's hack recently.  :D

Alright, why the crap do later 2600 carts and 7800 carts have those holes on the front label? That just annoys me.

It's a change in the manufacturing style. Either for cost or convenience they stopped making a plastic mold that had a perfectly flat surface - instead the punch holes you find on mid-to-late 80's carts are where the labels were applied over that new shell where there is no plastic underneath in the upper left and right hand corners. It's damn near scary how uniformly consistant they can all look if you get a lot from what was one owner at the same time, because the wear really does tear, especially when there was not much care for their value back then and there. :P

OK, so I won an original version (plus instructions) on eBay last night for $3 and change. Now the big question is "What do I do with my old one?". It would seem wrong to simply just throw it away but, on the other hand, who would actually want it? It's not of the type that AA can use for repros, either. Questions, questions ...

OK, so I won an original version (plus instructions) on eBay last night for $3 and change.  Now the big question is "What do I do with my old one?".  It would seem wrong to simply just throw it away but, on the other hand, who would actually want it?  It's not of the type that AA can use for repros, either.  Questions, questions ...

Design and print your own replacement label.

That's what I do.

The bottom silver label version was first.

The upper grey label variant was the latter...can tell by the cart design and most likely lack of a dust cover on your grey label version.  Atari did away with the dust covers on the carts starting sometime around 86 officially during the revival of the 2600 and the release (Finally) of the 7800.  Although many have reported that some 84 made carts are dust coverless.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I just looked at my copy again. It has the later release, gray label, with no holes. It has a dustcover: the kind with a spring on each side and a single split opening the full width of the cart( you can push it in easily with your finger ).

8)

I just looked at my copy again. It has the later release, gray label, with no holes. It has a dustcover: the kind with a spring on each side and a single split opening the full width of the cart( you can push it in easily with your finger ).

8)

The amount of cart variations out there just continues to amaze me.

Hmmm. Interesting.

8)

My SILVER label mario has the same kind of dust cover. (the type that doesn't lock when out of the system)

What program did you use?

"Corel Photo House" and "Microsoft Photo Editor". I'm too cheap to buy "Photoshop". :P

It's the first one that I've really spent a lot of time on; mostly I've just done end labels. I still see a few mistakes, though. Some of the printing at the bottom looks a little sloppy and the label seems just a hair small. I'll have to buy some more paper and see if I can clean it up a bit more. Still, not too bad if I say so myself!

Fe interesting things here about the newer sytle carts with the holes. you do realize where the plastic that used to be in those holes is at don't you? Take a good look at the pegs on the cart that push in the dust cover on the 2600 units themselves. Notice anything odd about them? Basically what Atari did was to save costs further they molded the cart shells and then on the flat half they punched the two notches out, which would later become the pegs of the same cart. I guess it was a further way to reduce the costs of materials just a bit more.

Also on the dust covers, the hybrids as I call them, have a standard 2600 dust cover. But Atari, again saving costs, didn't want to have to keep track of the narrow and wider edge covers which would be used between the 2600 and 7800 pcbs. So what Atari did, was to cut out the dust cover center so that it didn't matter what the cart was for 2600 or 7800 as the same dust covers could then be used. This was done until the dust cover supply ran out, to which the notched holes turned into pegs carts started to appear. So that grey label Mario Bros. with the wide opening dust cover is most likely from the 85 - early 86 era when the old parts were getting used up. That is the same era where quality control seems to be damn near non existent given all the labeling errors put out during this time hehe. ;)