IGNORED

Commodore 64 and 128 SID Kick Pico - SID 6581/8580 replacement

masteries

After manufacture a batch of these devices,

there are 8 spare units remaining.

This is a C64 / 128 Sound chip replacement that also integrates paddle support.

Soldered manually, all units tested in a C64

Used pinout are gold circled ones, suitable for

good quality sockets, in case you replaced the old

SID socket with newer one.

Once installed, a configuration tool can be invoked writing at basic:  SYS 54301

At the configuration menu, you can press "P" key to start hearing a music theme,

an option perfectly suitable for testing purposes.

Full details can be read from the project Github site: https://github.com/frntc/SIDKick-pico

This version is the monophonic one, that serves as direct replacement for the SID chip.

IMG-20241009-122702489.thumb.jpg.1cd59d6033444f854fa966dada2846cc.jpg

A picture depicting how to install it:

(As well, is the C64 where devices are tested)

IMG_20241010_201146302.thumb.jpg.e3d6cd6c1c81bf15b2f6ac711c577359.jpg

Price is 27.50 €, plus tracked shipment of 10.50€ (to Europe/UK and USA/Canada/rest of america)

• Like 1

I've been reading (and watching videos) about this Pi based SID but I don't think anybody is REALLY pushing it to see if it is comparable to a real SID or the ARMSID.

Do you have an REU or a Ultimate II+? If so, can you please test either the new "Sonic the Hedgehog" game or some of the bad reception TV C64 commercial conversions?

The reason I ask is because with every other SID solution I have tried (and I have tried a lot, everything basically except for the FPGA SID) only the original MOS SID chip and the ARMSID are able to play the digitized audio perfectly in these. Namely the sound of the voice saying "Sega" early in the Sonic loading process, and pretty much all of the digitized sound in all of those commercial conversions. But again, to play any of it you need some kind of REU solution.

If this SIDKick can do it too, I'll buy one!

Edited by eightbit
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, eightbit said:

I've been reading (and watching videos) about this Pi based SID but I don't think anybody is REALLY pushing it to see if it is comparable to a real SID or the ARMSID.

Do you have an REU or a Ultimate II+? If so, can you please test either the new "Sonic the Hedgehog" game or some of the bad reception TV C64 commercial conversions?

The reason I ask is because with every other SID solution I have tried (and I have tried a lot, everything basically except for the FPGA SID) only the original MOS SID chip and the ARMSID are able to play the digitized audio perfectly in these. Namely the sound of the voice saying "Sega" early in the Sonic loading process, and pretty much all of the digitized sound in all of those commercial conversions. But again, to play any of it you need some kind of REU solution.

If this SIDKick can do it too, I'll buy one!

Ok, understood.

As well, I have some RAD REU units around to perform the test you pointed out.

I´ll return soon with the results, probably a video recording.