IGNORED

Demo run addresses

Shamus

OK, I know someone has to know the run addresses to these homebrew programs: :)

Arkanna Demo

Assassin Demo, The Part 1 (1999)

Assassin Demo 1.0 Release 2

JagFest Demo (2001)

Music Demo (2002) (ScatoLOGIC)

Google turns up nothing useful on these goodies. And to the person who said that .jag format is useless, I say like heck it is! Without it, unless you're clairvoyant, you have no way of knowing where to load/run the raw binary! :P Demo/homebrew authors, do us all a favor and release in .jag format (in addition to .bin if you must)! :)

-- Shamus

Hello!

OK, I know someone has to know the run addresses to these homebrew programs: :)

Perhaps it would help you if you would download the files from the websites of the authors and not from warez-websites?

Normally either the website states the loadaddresses

or a README is included in the archives with the demos.

Arkanna Demo

Stormworks Interactive, Jeff Nihlean

Load-/Startaddress is $4000

Assassin Demo, The Part 1 (1999)

Assassin Demo 1.0 Release 2

OMC Games, James Garvin

JagFest Demo (2001)

Sorry, don't know. Too many Jagfests and Jagfest-Demos....

Music Demo (2002) (ScatoLOGIC)

Scatologic, Doug Engel+Scott LeGrand+Stephanie Wukowitz (hope the names are spelled ok)

Google turns up nothing useful on these goodies. And to the person who said that .jag format is useless, I say like heck it is! Without it, unless you're clairvoyant, you have no way of knowing where to load/run the raw binary! :P Demo/homebrew authors, do us all a favor and release in .jag format (in addition to .bin if you must)! :)

-- Shamus

Hey, i like the JAG format :-)

Some general hint:

Most of the RAM-based binaries run at

$4000 (start of free RAM)

$5000 (JagServer-OS asked for this)

$10000 (Probably based on some Atari-examples)

Regards

Matthias

For .jag files, there is a nice utility called bin2jag and jag2bin. I'm sure you already know that, with cof files, "aread" is nice with properly written files. Then you don't have to know the addresses. ; )

This is not a complete list, but these are the ones I have written down:

Storm Works Interactive/Jeff

$802000 Arkanna

$802000 Zero

$4000 Pong

Sinister Developments/Matthias/Gordon

$20000 Asteroids

$5000 JagMania

$5000 JagMarble

$5000 Balloons

Bastian Schick

$5000 JagTris

$10000 Intro (read $FF58)

$10000 SlamRacer (read $FF58)

$10000 Painter

StarCat/Lars

$4000 EJagFest

$4000 OPTestV2

$4000 StarCatDevDemo

OMC Games/James

$4000 Assassin1

$4000 Assassin2

BadCoder/Who was that masked man?

$4000 BadCoder Demos

Duranik Software

$5000 Native

Force Design

$5000 LEGION Force Jidai

Scott Walters

$4000 JagFest 98

idSoftware

$802000 DOOM

HyperImage/Santora

$800000 Phase Zero

It would be nice if all developers used a readme file with their programs that included start addresses, if they're not already including source files or have cof demos. Unfortunately, they don't always.

RAM starts at $4000 (abs/bin BJL programs)

JagServer games usually run @ $5000

Cartridge games generally run @ $802000/800000

It would be nice if all developers used a readme file with their programs that included start addresses, if they're not already including source files or have cof demos. Unfortunately, they don't always.

I think people who have released their files as BIN/Jag files do tend to include instructions of the load address.. if the files have been ripped off then how do you expect them to have a readme? They shouldn't actually be.

Few corrections:

RAM starts at $0 :)

Cart games run from $802000 normally as the first $2000 (ish) is the cart header.

I think people who have released their files as BIN/Jag files do tend to include instructions of the load address.. if the files have been ripped off then how do you expect them to have a readme?  They shouldn't actually be.
I know there are some people who have a readme file that did not include the address. I asked about some addresses on JI2 and got a response from some programmers. I don't remember which program(s) or who responded as this was quite some time ago... but that was the case.

Few corrections:

RAM starts at $0 :)

Cart games run from $802000 normally as the first $2000 (ish) is the cart header.

Corrections noted. :)

Phase Zero has no header, so I included the other address. I never could get that game to work on Alpine, but it works fine on Flash.

Hi!

The problem with such a list is that either you need to list a combination of Versionnumbers and Filetimestamps and Filesizes or have to give a link to a certain archive.

The one address i gave for Arkanna was directly taken from the README.TXT which was included in a ZIP-archive with the Arkanna-demo.

Now MegaData lists a card-space address...

What i want to say:

With all the different setups (JagServer/BJL/JUGS/Alpine/FLASH/..) you can never be sure if the program you get is left in the same shape as the developer has released it. Someone could have converted a JAG file to a ROM-image (with or without encryption-header) and could have put this converted file on his website (or could have posted it to a newsgroup,

or could have put it on a sampler-CD,...).

Regards

Matthias

Hmmm. I downloaded the Phase Zero from the site you mentioned . It is 2,097,152 bytes or 2MB exactly in size.

I held the A button when booting the alpine (to get the stub to boot in ram) and have full access to the 2MB of the Alpine. I loaded the rom image to 800000 and then jumped to 802000 to execute it. Worked fine.

Later I stripped the first 2000 bytes off so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Both ways worked fine.

Phase Zero has no header, so I included the other address. I never could get that game to work on Alpine, but it works fine on Flash.

Perhaps it would help you if you would download the files from the websites of the authors and not from warez-websites? Normally either the website states the loadaddresses or a README is included in the archives with the demos.

This is, of course, usually the case (and that's how I found most of the run addresses for those programs that came in .bin only format), but just try to find a website or a link to those homebrew programs that I listed. For example:

Arkanna Demo

You can find some links on Google for SI, but all the links point to a 404 page. So it's not a matter of getting these program from "warez" pages but a matter of the original pages being gone! :P

At any rate, though, thanks for the info! 8) I appreciate it!

-- Shamus

Hello!

Perhaps it would help you if you would download the files from the websites of the authors and not from warez-websites? Normally either the website states the loadaddresses or a README is included in the archives with the demos.

This is, of course, usually the case (and that's how I found most of the run addresses for those programs that came in .bin only format), but just try to find a website or a link to those homebrew programs that I listed. For example:

Arkanna Demo

You can find some links on Google for SI, but all the links point to a 404 page. So it's not a matter of getting these program from "warez" pages but a matter of the original pages being gone! :P

At any rate, though, thanks for the info! 8) I appreciate it!

-- Shamus

1) Google offers a "In Cache"-link for such dead links.

2) To make it more clear to you:

Arkanna, Assassin and the JagFest-demo were released to the public, so no problem for me to share the desired info with you (if i have it).

But the Scatologic-Music-demo was released only as part of a commercial product (yes, a demo-CD is a commercial product) and not released to the public, so i can't see why you ask for it's startaddress, it runs fine from the CD.

Regards

Matthias

And I am well versed in the ways of the Google cache. I defy you to find one that links to Stormworks (they probably were never indexed directly in the first place and even if they were, you'd just get the page and nothing that it links to). :P

Arkanna, Assassin and the JagFest-demo were released to the public, so no problem for me to share the desired info with you (if i have it).

But the Scatologic-Music-demo was released only as part of a commercial product (yes, a demo-CD is a commercial product) and not released to the public, so i can't see why you ask for it's startaddress, it runs fine from the CD.

Let me make something clear to you. Just because I have a copy of the Music Demo does not make me a "Warez D00d." I honestly couldn't tell you where it came from. I found a copy and thought it would be nice to see what it does. Sheesh!

And as for a demo being a "commercial product" it seems to defeat the purpose (i.e., as an advertisement for something). Why are you so indignant about it? :? How does this affect you personally? It seems that I've obviously touched on a nerve. :)

-- Shamus

Hello!

And I am well versed in the ways of the Google cache. I defy you to find one that links to Stormworks (they probably were never indexed directly in the first place and even if they were, you'd just get the page and nothing that it links to). :P

It seems that i have misinterpreted your

Arkanna Demo  

You can find some links on Google for SI, but all the links point to a 404 page.  

I thought you said Google would offer a direct URL but the page it points to does no longer exits. In this case the Google-cache would work.

Let me make something clear to you. Just because I have a copy of the Music Demo does not make me a "Warez D00d." I honestly couldn't tell you where it came from. I found a copy and thought it would be nice to see what it does. Sheesh!

And as for a demo being a "commercial product" it seems to defeat the purpose (i.e., as an advertisement for something). Why are you so indignant about it? :? How does this affect you personally? It seems that I've obviously touched on a nerve. :)

-- Shamus

Ah, yes ...

...the reason, hmm, there was one....

Regards

Matthias