IGNORED

Jaguar Demos Released

Albert

JaguarDemos.jpgThanks to the efforts of Clint Thompson and Glenn Bruner, we are now able to make available a collection of Atari Jaguar demos for downloading. These include the Lady Bug demo, Football Field demo, Arena League Football Field demo, Virtual QSound demo, and more. All the files were submitted to us by Clint Thompson, with special thanks to Glenn Bruner for converting most of them to .ROM format so they can be used with Jaguar Flash Carts. You can download a zip file containing the demos here. Enjoy!

hmmm... i doubt virtual jag will run these.. :(

As they are now, with the current version of VJ? No. But .abs format seems simple enough to grok that it may find its way into 1.0.7.

Hmm... Of course, in the meantime, you can use filefix and create your own .jag files. 8)

About JUGS, I don't have it so I have no idea.... anyone wanna test it out? I dont know about them working with jugs.

MegaData... the Qsound is yea, it's probably out there.

The others may be out there too, but if so , where?

It was the first time I've seen them (when I got my Falcon they were on their) as I'm guessing it was a Falcon JagDev Setup.

If their available for download elsewhere then Al can take them down

from AA. Regardless, it never hurts to have 2 sources.

Hopefully most of this is new to people (as it was to me just recently)

and I've been in the Jag scene for some time. (and had Jag Dev Manual but never had any demos from it)

Clint

This is GREAT! Thanks to Clint for allowing us to have these and Glenn for converting them to ROMS. I'm going to be checking them out on the Alpine tonight (when I get off work...yes, I'm STILL HERE!)

I've seen Qsound before, but I know that football demo has never been up anywhere before that I'm aware of. Clint are you sure the football demo is from Arena?

Clint's the MAN!

Jason

I am guessing you guys are unzipping the files and double clicking on the abs and or rom files?

These files are executable code images that you need to either load onto an Alpine board with a developers Jaguar, or take the ROM files and program them onto a Jaguar Flash Cart.

Or try loading the ROM image files with a Jag emulator.

my windows xp will not open it !!! please help it says it need to know what program created it? :?

Me TOOOO!!!!!! Is there a codec that we need to dl to watch these? Anyone? :?

These demos will only run on Alpine or Flash. They are all compiled to run from cartridge region of memory.

BJL would require an Alpine to provide the RAM. And JUGS can't run it since the BS or BSG cartridge is occupying that region of memory.

Try them with the latest PT emulator in binary mode. I haven't yet myself, but I would think some of them should work.

Glenn

Cartridge games will NEVER run from CD, BJL, JUGs or JaguarServer, at least without a flash cart or alpine to provide the cartridge memory. In theory if the source were availible and if they were small enough it might be possible to recompile them to run from ram, or if someone wanted to spend a lot of time working on it, it could be possible to get them to load the various bits of data from CD as and when they need it, but Cartridge games will not run on anything except a cartridge without a lot (ie months) of work.

BJL games can run from CD however, since they both execute from ram.

Hi Guys,

Now this might be a stupid question, but as these ROMS would run off a cart, would it not be possible for some one to stick them on a cart, with a nice little menu to select your demo??? Just a thought, as it seems these games are very unlikely to be finished. Maybe if enough turn up it will be worth someone time?

Anyhoo, better go before Linko slaps me again (yes head is still hung with shame :sad: ) for saying somat stupid

Gaztee

:twisted:

Hi Guys,

Now this might be a stupid question, but as these ROMS would run off a cart, would it not be possible for some one to stick them on a cart, with a nice little menu to select your demo??? Just a thought, as it seems these games are very unlikely to be finished. Maybe if enough turn up it will be worth someone time?

Anyhoo, better go before Linko slaps me again (yes head is still hung with shame :sad: ) for saying somat stupid

Gaztee

Like the idea and there are quite some demos available which would look very good on a collection-cart. Problem is perhaps, that you need a lot of ROM to squeeze em all on one cartridge? Otherwise they could be burned on a CD and have to be loaded from a menu into the JAGs RAM - I know that they can't be run from CD directly, but judgin by the size of most of the demos, it probalby should be possible to store them into the JAGs memory? Dunno, but in theorey there probably is a way...

Without the source, and without spending a long time disassembling the roms, it is not possible afaik to change where a block of Jag code runs from. Some instructions refer to memory x locations ahead or behind of the current point, and thus are relocatable, other instructions however refer directly to memory at location x, and if that memory is in the cartridge address space, it will try to read data from a cartridge, there is nothing you can do about that really except spend months disassembling it. The only solutions that currently exist for playing cartridge based games are alpines and flash carts, or burning rom chips and making your own cartridges.

I really dont know how many times I have to say the same thing before people will believe me... games designed for cart, that directly address cartridge address space, will only run on cart, or a cart emulator like an alpine or flash cart.

There are always exceptions, and I havnt looked at any of these games to see if they can run from ram, but I doubt it.

Without the source, and without spending a long time disassembling the roms, it is not possible afaik to change where a block of Jag code runs from. Some instructions refer to memory x locations ahead or behind of the current point, and thus are relocatable, other instructions however refer directly to memory at location x, and if that memory is in the cartridge address space, it will try to read data from a cartridge, there is nothing you can do about that really except spend months disassembling it. The only solutions that currently exist for playing cartridge based games are alpines and flash carts, or burning rom chips and making your own cartridges.

Sure, but for most of the demos (at least the coder demos) the source should be available.

Hmm.... perhaps... no idea... I doubt it is for all of them tho.

If the source is availible, and the game/demo isnt too big it should be possible to make it run from ram fairly easily yes. Jaguar source code isnt exactly the most common thing to find tho hehe, especially not for commercial games.

Hey Guys,

When I posted the last time I had in mind these demo's related to this topic. Not everyone has the ability to download to flash/alpine. I am assuming that these demos would fairly easily fit onto say a 2mb jag cart? Not saying there would be a great deal of interest in this, but would it be possible to (if needs be make my own cart) stick these on a cart with a nice little menu to help you select which demo to see/play?

I know Robert Demming has done something cool with his alpine where he could choose any one of (I think :ponder: ) 10 games to play. This may be a common thing, I dunno, but surely it would be possible to do. There seems to be many talented people on the sceen here. So am I talking/thinking outta my butt?? Let me know

Gaztee

PS How would I go about making my own cart then????

I know Robert Demming has done something cool with his alpine where he could choose any one of (I think :ponder: ) 10 games to play. This may be a common thing, I dunno, but surely it would be possible to do. There seems to be many talented people on the sceen here. So am I talking/thinking outta my butt?? Let me know

That was the Atari CD loader ;) It boots off the CD, then loads a cart image to cartspace (on the Alpine) and resets so it boots from the cart. Nothing particularly unusual. Like Tyrant said, you need the source if the game doesn't address memory relative to its current location. Otherwise you'll have seperate demos trying to access one chunk of cartspace, which will be holding the demo...ugly results. So no, it's not going to happen, unless the games run from RAM or are coded to use relative addressing (which I think Atari frowned quite heavily upon).

PS How would I go about making my own cart then????

If you just have one 2MB ROM image you want to burn then you'd split it into 4 files (for a cart with four 8-bit chips) or 2 files (for a cart with two 16-bit chips) using Atari's ROMSPLIT program. You'd then burn the resultant files to the EPROMs, and slap them in a cart PCB. Not at all hard; the problem is getting the images in the first place :)

Stone