IGNORED

Ordering/Constructing a Lynx dev cart

TailChao

I am currently making a small run of developers carts for the Lynx. The manual is available at http://sipo.fi/devflash.pdf

The file is a bit big (3.5MB) but it inludes answers to most of your questions, I hope ;)

For Lynx developement you don't really need any hardware. Handy is pretty good at emulating and debugging the games.

But if you want to play your creations on the real thing then a devflash-cart is the way to go.

--

Cheers,

Karri

I've been using Handy for awhile, and even though it is great, it can't emluate quick palette changes needed for hicolor demos and games, plus I really want to try some of my stuff out on a real lynx. I was considering modding a B & C cart, but since your project is apparently still active.... maybe I could order one? :ponder:

Yeah, I would also like to be on the list, although a lower priority list. I do program for the Lynx, but I'm also in the midst of running a startup company and I have spent very little time on it in the last year. I have a crunch project now that ends in spring so I'm hoping to have more time then, but still sneak in a little Lynx programming on the side before that.

Thanks,

Eric

The current card model is a 8MB cart with support for using Audio I/O as an external bank-switch line. Before you all rush out for one I should warn you that the price is a bit high - 60 euros or USD's for a cart. But this includes shipping anywhere, the cables, cart and necessary software for Windows and Lynx. I prefer to make these for developers and developer wannabees that want to help in keeping our wonderful Lynx platform alive :)

As this is my hobby project I will also fix/replace devflash-carts as long as I have components in stock in case something breaks.

The card also has a 1024 bit EEPROM on board for creating a save/restore or highscore feature.

The largest code you can run on this design is 512k either as

256 blocks of 2048 bytes

or

512 blocks of 1024 bytes

It seems to run all other configurations available as well.

If you want to become a developer and want a card, drop me a mail.

--

Regards,

Karri

hmmm... the thing is that I've been planning to use the AUDIO_IN as, well, its designated name (perhaps have an ARM process sound for the lynx)... Do you think your cartridge design will be flexible enough so I could add this? (Note: I'm not asking you to put the ARM in there for me, just if the cart would be able to use the AUDIN line for something else)

Edit:

If it isn't too much work, maybe the cart I order can be custom made? (not heavily, just a different amount of rom, no extra eeprom for saves, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...
OK. I just promised a flash cart to the original Lynx creator R.J. Mical also. We had a nice chat for a few hours last Friday here in Finland. It was so cool to meet him.... :)

What is R.J. Mical doing today? What is he doing in Finland? I hope he's not going to start working for Nokia? :P ;)

You know he was working for Ericsson/Redjade on their handheld gaming console that was later cancelled :_( I wonder how long they got with the project before Ericsson closed it down. Does anyone know??

I know the swedish company Digital Illussion had some 3D games in production.

This handheld would have been the best....or second best...Atari Lynx will always be number one!! :D

I met R.J. Mical when he was attending a demo for a new operating system.

Actually I would not be surprised at all if he had something to do with 3d acceleration for mobile computing. But I did not discuss any topics like this with him. I assume that he is involved with Fathammer.

--

Cheers,

Karri

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have several flash carts waiting to be tested, But due to the nice summer I have spent my days swimming, dancing and traveling around.

But once the rain comes I may be motivated to finally finish the batch of carts I am working on.

--

Karri

You can reach me more privately as user karri on the domain sipo dot fi.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. I just copied it from my backups to

http://sipo.fi/devflash.pdf

The pdf-file describes the 16MB cart. I have recently created more 8MB

carts as then I can use the special I/O block select that was needed to

extend the memory space for Alpine Games.

I should really write an extra chapter about how to use this feature.

--

Cheers,

Karri