IGNORED

what pack in game could compete with DK?

tyranthraxus

We'd have to stick with the 13 launch titles for the 5200, what a pile of crap to choose from.  Pretty much nothing but ports of PC games from 1980, and lousy ones ("Space Invaders") at that.

Huh??? Didn't the original titles include....

Defender

Missile Command

Pacman

Centipede and

Galaxian??????????

With the exception of Galaxian, the 5200 ports were pretty dead-on conversions of the coin-ops, while the CV Donkey Kong....ugh! It was a great arcade game to plunk down quarters...but the CV version was really bad. Average at best. CV made the right move based on the name recognition. Atari did the opposite unfortunately.

So,

Compared to other systems in the 8bit version of DK Jr the best?  It looks and plays pretty good to me.

The 8-bit computer version (and hence this one), seem a little choppyish since most of the moving items on the screen are character graphics and so they do not move smoothly. The 7800 version is much smoother in character movement.

The 8-bit computer version (and hence this one), seem a little choppyish since most of the moving items on the screen are character graphics and so they do not move smoothly. The 7800 version is much smoother in character move

Yeah I find the movement a bit choppy. Still it's my favorite version of the game.

On an interesting side note, the programmer of DK jr. was placed on probation (possibly fired?). It turns out he was behind schedule and being very secretive with his code (refusing to give management a print out). This may explain why it isn't up to snuff.

Tempest

While we're on the subject of hacking DK jr, can someone fix the colors on the first level? They really look terrible (the rest of the game is alright though).

BTW someone should map the "BOOGA" easter egg to the 5200 keypad. Invincibility kicks butt! :)

Tempest

@NE1:

I find it funny that you (apparently) have your XBOX hooked up to a TV that was made before Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard!

:lol:

Hey nothing wrong with that dude. I love it! :D Truth is I just found that tv a couple months ago in our apt's recycle room. Made a great addition to the computer room for some cubbyhole gaming :P Now we have 3 tv's..2 of which were free!! yes, FOUND in the recycle room.. And yeah if I feel like something somewhat better, I simply carry out the xbox to either the living room or bedroom (bedroom is it's default location actually). :)

Unfortunately, once we move again next year for the 6th time in 4 years.. out they'll go back to the recycle room as I aint taking these cross country :P

That Sony Trinitron TV is a great model. I used to have one, and I really liked it. I also loved the remote that it used, nice big, metal klunky thing. Mine broke years ago, the vertical hold started to go on it, and the picture was folding up at the bottom. I knew what was wrong with it (failing capacitor), but couldn't find the parts or time to repair it, and I ended up just getting a new TV, (bigger screen, cable tuner, stereo sound), but those old Sony sets are great.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Dude this thing CAME with the remote. The previous user had seen fit to tape it to the top of the tv (bless them). And yeah you're right it is this big clunky thing. :)

The other tv I found is also a Sony Trinitron as well but a much much newer model. However I guess the owner saw fit to toss it out due to the fact it can only receive signal via the a/v inputs. Which is fine with me of course as I just tune via our cable box :P (and of course the videogames work just fine on it as well) :)

I tried DKJR in an EPROM cart and I can't start the game.  Looks like it can't read the input from the controller.  Just might be a problem with setting the right bits of CONSOL and SKCTL respectively.

You have to hit the fire button to start instead of the start button. :)

Mitch

Holy Crap!!!!

I've been ignoring this thread since the title wasn't that interesting. I was going to go back later and read it when I had more time. BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE! This is fantastic! This has been a great month for 5200 fans. Now I can play DK and DK Jr on my nice Commodore 1702 in brilliant sharp (correct) colors. I just realized how much the colors are off on my TV once I hooked up my 5200 s-video mod. :(

Thanks Kenfused! And you did it so fast. Do you think you could do any more? I'd also love to hear more about how you did it. Any tips you could give other programmers would really help.

Again, great work and thanks.

Allan

You have to hit the fire button to start instead of the start button. :)  

Mitch

Does start, # or * work for anyone on a real 5200? Does it work ok on Donkey Kong?

I know start works on Donkey Kong but I haven't tried any of the other options, if I have time tonight to plug in the 5200 I'll let you know.

Mitch

Kenfused-

The controls work just fine on Donkey Kong, but DKJR has problems.

None of the keys are being detected. Pressing the fire button starts the game but you can't select your level or number of players.

I love being able to play these games on the actual 5200. Keep up the good work!

Kenfused-

The controls work just fine on Donkey Kong, but DKJR has problems.

None of the keys are being detected.  Pressing the fire button starts the game but you can't select your level or number of players.

I love being able to play these games on the actual 5200.  Keep up the good work!

I think I may have found the problem. Here a is new version...

dkjr_v2.zip

Well, I just realized I ran out of 32K Eproms.  :x

Well you can try Preppie in the other thread...it only needs a 16K EPROM :-) It is a lot more complicated due to tight DLI timing, plus it uses POKEY timer interrupts and stuff DK and DK Jr do not. I am curious to see how Preppie works on a real system, so I can keep the framework for future conversions.

Seriously, Kenfused, you are a man among men. A king for a day worthy of a tasty hot beverage. How long have you been lurking around here, I see you just joined AA last month?  

WHere'd you cut your teeth in 6502 at?

Started reading the boards here only a couple months or so ago. Was suprised to see they were pretty active. I have done 6502 almost exclusively on the 8-bit computers 400 - 800XL. There are my first 5200 attrempts (and I currently do not even own a 5200 at the present time).