IGNORED

Berkley MicroSystems BMS-100 HD interface

Gunstar

I just got this BMS-100/Adaptec ACB-4000 interface&scsi adapter for the ST. It is designed, I believe, to use only the older 5.25" SCSI drives, basically 10-64megs with the card-edge type connectors on the rear of the HD; one is a 34 wire connector (control cable) and the other is a 20 wire connector (data cable). In the manual appendix it gives quite a long list of HD brands&model numbers to choose from, but all are quite old models from the 80's. Basically i'm trying to locate just such a hard drive now and was wondering if anyone here could help, or maybe has one. I searched E-bay and have a couple of leads, but am waiting for replies from the sellers as to the brand&model numbers to see if they are on my list and/or have the proper edge connections instead of newer standard 50/68-pin connectors, etc. Any help is appreciated.

post-149-1068851172_thumb.jpg

I know very little about hard drives and the differences between SCSI, IDE and MFM drives, etc. I've only used them previously if they were already in the computer. I changed one out once just by matching the old drive with the new one's connectors to make sure it was compatible with my PC's cables and I've reformatted them before, but that's it. So adding a HD to a system that didn't come with one ready-made or installed is new to me. It seems, after doing some google searches for info on some of the drives that are compatible with this interface that apparently I'm in need of an MFM style HD, something that the Berkley manual fails to mention anywhere, it just refers to it as SCSI, which I now assume includes MFM models as well as models that have the 50-pin scsi connectors, etc...